Specific friends on Memorial Day

This is a discussion on Specific friends on Memorial Day within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These are my friends who gave their lives ofr their country, some in the field others in the VA hospital. I will never forget them. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By threefeathers
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Specific friends on Memorial Day

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Specific friends on Memorial Day

These are my friends who gave their lives ofr their country, some in the field others in the VA hospital. I will never forget them.
    I will not publish rank as it has no part here

Richard Berg WW2, uncle Richard you enlisted with my Dad and you are among the fallen at Anzio
    Vince Lopresti WW2, Vince you were the exec officer for 'Bear' Bryant at Point Learte in N Africa, you died as I held you hand, always thinking of others.
    Richard Trumbo Korea, Dick, you were my mentor after Berlin and my strength after SE/Asia
    Jimmy Caffery, Berlin 1961, I'm sorry Jimmy I tried to help you, you never should have been there at that time.
    Jorge Salcido VN, We got your body back after you will killed by a short round, I visit your memorial on the ranch often
    Charlie Southard VN, we argued about which of us in the infantry would go first, I can't believe you got it trying to cover an ambush at Snoul.
    Jim Whitehead, VN goddamn it I tried to teach everyone to keep their fingers of the trigger when unassing a vehicle under fire.
    Bobby Armbruster VN, You died in the ******* janitors closet in the Phoenix VA Hosp as were were talking about the platoon. Agent Orange cancer before it was recognized by the VA as a problem.
    Philip Archambeau, SE/Asia, you were my mentor and didn't kill me when I killed 2 water buffalo with a Claymore during my first night ambush, I forgive you for starting your first military career with the Whermacht.
    Chuck Twomey,Berlin, VN. You were my Platoon Sgt that fateful day of October 27th 1961, and you won a Silver Star in VN. You died in the Comissary of an instant heart attack while talking to my wife.
    Ed Beasley VN, on your last day you went down to assist some fng's on how to deac a 60 mm mortar dud, the NVA hit you all with 122 mm rockets.
    James G Kleman, Cold War, you were my best friend and we enlisted together, majored in Asian Studies together, and volunteered for SE/Asia together. You were a Chinese language interp and I was eager to get into the field. As you drank yourself to death you would call me asking me to forgive you because I had 'gone though so much'. You never realized I prayed nightly for you to quick drinking so we could laugh as old soldiers. I sit on your grave and yell at you, but it is with frustration not anger.
    Collin Schockmel,Iraq, I was your coach and your mentor, I asked you not to be a 19D and you said i want to be like you coach, damn.
    Jimmy Thode, you told your wife that at 45 Dan took you into your first action in Panama,so you took a group into Afghanistan on your second deployment. I will asways wonder if I had been the town drunk instead of a mentor if you and Collin would still be alive? Tough to live with
    TheShadow likes this.

2. Remove Ads

That is beautiful ram rod

Thank you and your long list of fallen brothers for your service. It is obvious that you and the lives of many people that these men touched have experienced huge losses and sacrifices so that we can be free. I respectfully and with admiration say thank you, not only on Memorial Day, but every day.

We are losing our veterans so fast. My father-in-law is a 69 year old Vietnam Veteran and has just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer spread throughout his entire body due to his Agent Orange exposure. It is a nightmare to see the Vietnam War take this great man before our eyes 40 years later. At least he had a chance to come home and have a good life and family. Many did not. My wife now suffers numerous health problems that are passed to the second generation due to Agent Orange. My son was premature, which may also be related. How many years and generations will this continue????? Too many people do not understand that these wars continue to claim victims long after the gunfire ceases.
    First Sgt likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Threefeathers, I think your fallen relatives and comrades are probably smiling now and saving a place for you, but whispering "don't rush, we can wait."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

One of my closest friends Lt. Kim Martin USMC is suffering the effects of Agent Purple. He is melting away as we speak.

May The Lord pour His Peace and Grace like rain upon these great men who now stare down certain death and suffer for their exposures so long ago while doing their duty as honorable young men. May He cradle their souls and give them rest free from anxiety and pain as He prepares to take them Home. Amen.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thank you all. As aznav can tell you every day I get up I struggle with the question of wanting to live. Please don't feel sorry for me, I realize that I'm damaged goods as is my best friend.

We seriously do not give our Armed Forces personnel enough for their sacrifice no matter if it is combat related or not. All of them deserve more than we can give.

I remember my Grand Dad of WWI time frame telling me how they buried a Lt. who was killed by a shell burst in France. They absolutely loved the guy, said he was the best officer in the Army. He tearfully said that they wrapped his body in a green wool Army blanket, "so the dirt would not roll into his eyes" and they left him there. I suppose he is still buried in France.

I just did not understand because I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time, but I do now.

I was never in the armed forces but many in my family were, beginning with the Colonial's in the American Revolution right on up to WWII. Some later on, but not combat related service. I just hope this "generation" of people will never forget that without our military, we would not be who we are, or be free to say so.

Thank God for our armed forces!
    BugDude likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    We seriously do not give our Armed Forces personnel enough for their sacrifice no matter if it is combat related or not. All of them deserve more than we can give.

I remember my Grand Dad of WWI time frame telling me how they buried a Lt. who was killed by a shell burst in France. They absolutely loved the guy, said he was the best officer in the Army. He tearfully said that they wrapped his body in a green wool Army blanket, "so the dirt would not roll into his eyes" and they left him there. I suppose he is still buried in France.

I just did not understand because I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time, but I do now.

I was never in the armed forces but many in my family were, beginning with the Colonial's in the American Revolution right on up to WWII. Some later on, but not combat related service. I just hope this "generation" of people will never forget that without our military, we would not be who we are, or be free to say so.

Thank God for our armed forces!
    w
    Well said Jo Jo. Thank you so much.

Links