Sad day for me at the range. - Page 2

Sad day for me at the range.

This is a discussion on Sad day for me at the range. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad is 85. He was patching the roof on one of his old cars and fell off the second rung of the ladder and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Sad day for me at the range.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    My dad is 85. He was patching the roof on one of his old cars and fell off the second rung of the ladder and was knocked out 2 days ago. His medic alert thing went off and he awoke to paramedics looking at his scalp. 12 stitches, the old fart says he fine. Glad he finally got one of those, i am 500 miles away and got a call right after the one to the paras. he is also on blood thinners and could have bled out.
    I spend as much time as possible with my dad. Seems I always spend a week instead of a weekend there and thats OK.
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Partner, I know a similar story. Dad left this past November. I'm at Mom's place tonight doing some chores and loading the last of Dad's loading bench, etc. It ain't over till it's over and then guess what...it still ain't over thank God. I understand that the sun didn't shine the way you'd hoped but it did shine. Let it in however it comes. It's all good brother, all good. It hurts, but it's alright.
    ericb327, atctimmy and oneshot like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    And hey, the idea of a 22 is a damn good idea. Maybe a long gun is better if you have a range for it. A little 10/22 or something. My dad got to the point that he wasn't comfortable (I think) with his ability to safely handle side arms so he still played with a little Savage. Another thing we did was just visit our local gun store....just window shopping and shooting the s#*!t. Still good stuff. Don't miss the time lost, it doesn't pay at all and won't help. There's tons of good stuff that did and will happen.

I'll shut up now but your story hit right in the heart.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I've always been blessed to be close with my dad, and I hope to stay that way. From my experience with my father, and those of others (the ones who weren't dead-beats, etc), the number one thing for a dad when it comes to hanging out with his kids is actually being with his kids. Whether it's chopping wood, going to a car show, or snow skiing.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    He has Colt Single action Army that's over 100 years old in working condition. We don't shoot it anymore due to a dangerous hair trigger. It scares me.
    I would LOVE a chance to shoot that one. My stepfather has an old (1970s-ish) S&W .357. Beautiful nickel finish. DA, is nice and smooth; drops off exactly where you would expect it to. SA, nearly made me wet myself first time I tried it- loaded with full load .357s, I pulled the hammer back, re-adjusted my grip and BANG before I had it tight again it went off. I didn't even feel my finger touch the trigger. But, I did manage to hit the paper target where it met the hanger at the range. Blew the clothespin apart and bent the metal hanger.

I like a nice, light trigger. Makes it more... interesting. You never really know 'when' it's going to happen after you pull the hammer back. You just know it's going to happen.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

GSG 1911 it's a 22 on a 1911 frame,pretty much the 1911 he carried in Nam,but shoots a caliber that won't beat him up and the slide racks fairly easy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

God Bless your dad for his service, and you for the family inclusion and doing the range with him. He is a Marine, and I am sure he enjoyed it...he will do what he can, and I imagine he would enjoy coaching. Do enjoy the time with him and treasure it. My Dad is 96 and still living by himself, but I don't know how long he will be with us....it's hard to emotionally prepare, you know? He is in PA where I grew up, and my dear sister sees to his needs. I try to get out there 2-3 times a year. I should try to make more trips now. Semper Fi!

VIP Member
    Invite him to go shooting, however dont put a lot of pressure on him to go. If he goes, make it as easy as possible for him. Be sure he has a comfortable seat. Consider the weather, be sure he gets enough to drink. Tell him to let you know anytime he'd like to go back home. Granted it might feel great for you to have him at the range with you, but always keep in mind how he feels, and on some days he might feel more comfortable just staying at home.

Good luck and I admire you including him at the range.
    oneshot likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sad to hear brother. I teared up reading this reminded me of my grandpa. He was the only one it seemed to have the time of day for me and taught me to hunt, fish, and shoot. He was a great man and a marine. He passed away four years ago this Christmas but i will never lose the memories of him. That i will have forever. Just make the best of the time your blessed with and live like you don't have tomorrow, because we aren't promised it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

It's never too late to be together, yes, he may have had trouble at the range, but honestly just the fact that you were together is a blessing.
    FLArmadillo likes this.

VIP Member
    Ericb, I'm very sorry for your situation. I'm in the same boat. We took my dad out to shoot .22 rifles the other day, (this is a man who is one of the best marksmen I've ever known personally) and he couldn't hit a thing with a rifle that he taught me how to shoot on.

It was agony seeing his frustration. He finally set it aside and cheered my son on.

This is a tough season of life. At least we still have the opportunity to talk and do other things with our dads for now.

He shot only 30 rounds and sat down on the stool. His hands were turning purple and bruising badly due to the blood thinners he is on.
    It sucks getting old. I took this one section of your post to make my point. Look at it this way, he went, he gave what he could for you and your boy. I personally would be glad for the time, which Im sure you are. Look for the good in the time at the range, and give the .22 a try.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I'm closing in on the situation your dad is in. Make sure you let your son know of your regrets. Seems like we never learn the lessons the previous generation tries to teach. How many times did you hear "One day you'll wish you....." and just shrugged it off. Make sure your dad knows you respect and love him. Teach your son to love and respect his grandfather. I truly know what you feel.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sounds like it might be time for a Buckmark or Mark II
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ding ding...Winner!

Or maybe a revolver, Model 10, or a 64 with some .38 loads would not be as brutal on him. And who says he has to shoot a lot?

10-20 rounds and then he sits and coaches like others have suggested.

Then its back to the house for some Iced tea and stories and card games.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Yup, and enjoy the time you have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links