Sad day for me at the range.

This is a discussion on Sad day for me at the range. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My step dad married my mother when I was 4. My step dad is a Vietnam Vet Chu Lai 1965-1967 Marine Corps. As soon as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Sad day for me at the range.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Sad day for me at the range.

My step dad married my mother when I was 4. My step dad is a Vietnam Vet Chu Lai 1965-1967 Marine Corps. As soon as he became my dad (1973) he taught me how to fish and shoot. He bought me my first rifle a Ruger 10/22 that I have since passed down to my son. We use to go to his family's farm in Lawrence, MI where his uncle and cousins taught me how to shoot. We would collect old light bulbs covered in chicken poop and take them to the river. Moving targets in the swift river current makes for good practice. Back home my step dad belonged to the Forest Park, IL Pistol Team. I would tag along on shooting events and learn from LEOs and other members. During my teenage years I stopped shooting and so did he. In 1993 I purchased my first handgun a Glock 19. I still use my G19 as my EDC. I started shooting again on a regular basis honing my shooting skills, educating myself on concealed carry, ballistics and overall firearms knowledge. In 1996 I bought him a Colt 1991 A1 Series 80 for Fathers Day; he had told me he would like to have the pistol he had in Nam. We talked about shooting for some time but we never made it to range.

Today my son, step dad and I went shooting. It occurred to me that it had been almost 30 years since I had been shooting with him. I was pretty excited to show him my marksmanship skills. The excitement ended when he got up to the line and struggled to handle the guns. He had trouble racking the slide and slide release. He's been weakened over the years from prostate cancer and deteriorating knees and arthritis. He shot only 30 rounds and sat down on the stool. His hands were turning purple and bruising badly due to the blood thinners he is on. It didn't occur to me until that moment why he was resisting my suggestions to go shooting. I could see how much it bothered him. What was supposed to be a fun day with three generations was just the opposite for me. I regret not taking the time to do the these things over the years.

Now it's too late!
    Last edited by ericb327; June 27th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
    lonewolf486 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Not to late for you and your son to go shooting, maybe pop could go along to coach the youngsters. He would probably enjoy just watching his family enjoy themselves. Next time you see him,tell him thank you for his service to our Country from a grateful citizen who counts himself lucky that men like him stepped up and risked it all for our freedom.

Time is hard on us all. We are all guilty of living our lives to the detriment of our parents, we usually realize this fact much too late in life. Enjoy all the time you have left, it will also help him to.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I agree with RayBar...let PaPa coach and graciously thank him for doing so.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Best thing to do is let him teach his grandson how to do things. He would probably be the best teacher for it. And, if you have one, maybe let him use a .22? That way he still gets to show off a bit, and doesn't hurt or wear himself out too much.

"Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

His "participation" may now be limited to watching, rather than shooting. Don't make the mistake of assuming that he isn't enjoying himself if he isn't shooting. Talk it over with him and let him know that you are glad he is there even if he doesn't shoot. This way he doesn't get the impression that you are dissappointed or let-down by his condition. Just holding and handling the guns, talking about memories, and sharing his knowledge will make for an enjoyable outing.
    BlueHawk76, 40Bob, RayBar and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    I agree, he would probably make a great coach. Till the day he died, my g-pa out-shot everyone in the family.

The man had forgotten more about shooting (and many, many other things) than I've ever known.

Enjoy the times you have together, and try not to dwell on past mistakes.

Time goes by way too fast. Invite him along every chance you get. I'm sure the memories will stay with your son and he too will be fond of them.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

It's cliche to say it, but its never too late. Take everything you're learning now, and apply it with your son! And still include your step dad - like others have said, he may enjoy just getting to spend time with you all. I know I may not have as many years under my belt, but my dad was never a huge firearms enthusiast, although we still like looking at guns and such. I never hesitate to ask him if he wants to go shoot with me. If he can't it's okay, if he does then it's fine that we're not running super tactical run and gun drills, or running weak handed manipulation drills - as long as we're spending time together blasting some rounds and having fun, to me it doesn't matter if I even get a single good group of shots.

What matters isn't the time that you missed out on, it's the time you have left. Make the most out of it!
    Rock and Glock and ericb327 like this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Administrator
    Sounds like it might be time for a Buckmark or Mark II
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ding ding...Winner!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

He has a 22 target pistol. He didn't bring it.

He has Colt Single action Army that's over 100 years old in working condition. We don't shoot it anymore due to a dangerous hair trigger. It scares me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OUTSTANDING idea!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links