A truly great day at the range

This is a discussion on A truly great day at the range within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife has always been supportive of my gun habit. She supports my carrying, my collecting and my range time. She has said for years ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjason6

Thread: A truly great day at the range

A truly great day at the range

My wife has always been supportive of my gun habit. She supports my carrying, my collecting and my range time. She has said for years that she wants to learn to shoot but I guess it hasn't been a real priority for her. She works too dang hard and does an incredible job of caring for me, family and home and just doesn't take time for herself. Well, today she did! And she loved it! And she's going to be GOOD!

I doubt many of you watch "Army Wives". I know its generally considered a chick show but we have watched it together for a couple of seasons now. Last show, a couple of the wives got in a situation alone at a beach cottage and got taken and zip-cuffed by a serial killer. Long story short, one created a diversion and the other grabs the guys snubnose out of his belt and when he comes at her with a pair of scissors, she puts the sucker down! Four shots COM by the book. Turns out her husband has her shoot regularly so she was competent with the gun and it saved their lives. As soon as the scene was over, my wife turns to me and grins sheepishly. I didn't say a word. It was a fair and honest portrayal of a woman using a handgun to defend herself and a loved one. The show dealt honestly with the aftermath as well. Well done.

So we went to the range this morning, for an hour I figured. Four hours later in 100 degree heat we called it quits. What a trooper!

The icing on the cake is, after she shot the .22's, the Glock 19 and 17, the 1911 and the AR she was hooked. Wants to shoot more types of guns to make sure but she thinks she wants the Officer size .45! We have a way to go but what a great first step. She is a good student and took safety seriously.

And she looked hot doing it! Woohoo!

2. Remove Ads

A lot of woman like 1911s.

barstoolguru likes this.

Congrats Irish!! My ex wife never really enjoyed shooting but I get to have the enjoyment of going to the range with my youngest daughter. They say families need to spend more time together, can't get much better than that.
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Springfield XD9sc
    S&W 4516
    Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U

sgb
    It's a great day when the wife becomes a shooting buddy, good job.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

P95
    Good for you and your wife. I was raised on guns....my wife wasn't...she still has a ways to go before considering buying one for herself. She is warming up to the idea that I carry...but still has a way to go. I have to be patient and let her work it out for herself I guess.

Good deal!!! I wish my wife would go to the range with me. I've got a great selection of guns she could handle, but she just has no interest.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Good for the both of you.

Until my wife's stroke she was a dang good shot. So, I know how good it feels.

BTW, If she hasn't found it yet, introduce your wife to Cornered Cat She has lot of good stuff from the woman's perspective.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 7th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Great news!

My bride has her permit, carries whenever I'm not around, but hasn't shown interest in the powder room yet (reloading).
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Congrats on the wife joining you at the range. The only drawback is, your gun budget just got cut in half!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    Good for you and your wife. I was raised on guns....my wife wasn't...she still has a ways to go before considering buying one for herself. She is warming up to the idea that I carry...but still has a way to go. I have to be patient and let her work it out for herself I guess.
    Thats what worked best for me. Women need to make up their own minds! I'm just glad she did eventually. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Congrats on the wife joining you at the range. The only drawback is, your gun budget just got cut in half!
    Actually it probably doubled since she really like the larger calibers! I need to get her to handle a Browning Hi-power next...and hope.

Texas women and guns... seems so natural to me! Happy for you all!

Mrs. Smitty has had an introduction to shooting and acquitted herself well with the S&W M63 I got her, but hasn't really picked up on my periodic invitations to join me at the range. Last night we entertained one of her lady friends from work who enjoys shooting and who happily handled nearly everything in my safe. As she was leaving she asked "so when are we going shooting?" To which my lovely lady added "yeah, WHEN?" aimed right at me. So we made a mutual promise to head out shooting together when we get a cool weekend (110 is a bit toasty for comfortable shooting), and having a friend along for reinforcement will get my lady over her apprehension of the centerfire guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

And she looked hot doing it! Woohoo!
    talk,talk,talk........................ need pics

Links