My grandmother has passed.

This is a discussion on My grandmother has passed. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It happened yesterday around noon. She's been in the hospital (this trip) for about 2 weeks now. She's always been in bad health- been on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My grandmother has passed.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

My grandmother has passed.

It happened yesterday around noon. She's been in the hospital (this trip) for about 2 weeks now. She's always been in bad health- been on oxygen since right around the turn of the century- and still would occasionally take it off to go smoke a cigarette up until about seven years ago.

I feel horrible for not being able to remember how old she was- even though she was very young- I think she was right around 60 years old. And, up until about 8 years ago, she was 'hell on wheels'. Just a tiny hair over 5 feet tall, and never more than 110 pounds and wouldn't be backed down by anybody. When she got in an argument, or some other altercation, she would always take this pose... shoulders back, leaning forward slightly- from the ankles- stretched as far out as she could be, chin forward, eyes kinda squinty and glaring... (think ski-jumper, but really angry and you've pretty much got it).

People think I'm crazy when I tell them the 'pet names' she had for me- this being a family friendly forum, I won't just throw them out there- and the fun we had. I was the first grandchild- and it stayed that way until my sister came along in 1997. So, we got into a lot of trouble together; 'midnight' (anywhere between 1-4 am) runs to Wal-Mart (before it went downhill), she used to stand on her head- something I had to make her prove to everyone, and the pranks we would play, the trips we took around town in her '55 Bel Air that she got for an anniversary/birthday present- she was so small I could barely fit on the front bench seat with her without my knees being in the glove box- and having to help her turn the wheel when we weren't moving.

I can't even count how many times she pushed 18 wheelers out of the way in her '86 Town Car... No matter what we were doing, who we were with, or where we were, I was always closest with my grandmother. Not because I loved her more than I did my mother, but because I spent almost as much time with my grandmother as I did my mother. Single parents have life hard, so do their kids sometimes. One of the many reasons I like the things I do is because of my grandparents- 'old' things- cars, grandfather clocks, furniture, most anything that is older than the '80s actually...

Anyway, off topic... We lost a great woman yesterday, and we'll be feeling that loss for a long time. Just, please remember, make all the memories you can while you can. With your great grandparents, grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, everybody; because when times get hard, it's those memories that make it just a little easier to get through.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to heat about your grandmother
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

RIP grandma. Sounds like she spent good time with her grand kids.

Sorry for your loss.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    'Sorry for your loss.

Mine passed back in '83, but to this day, I love to boil peanuts because it makes the kitchen smell like hers did.

Cherish those memories and pass those stories on to your kids.
    Caertaker and oneshot like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    So sorry!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I am truly sorry to hear this...................

Although I laughed reading how she 'pushed' those big-rigs with a Town Car. The fun and the memories make it all the more special, even when it hurts.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear that!!!!!!!!

Very sorry for your loss. I know how you feel.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You're in my thoughts.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sorry to hear the news. Grandmothers are just as special as mothers. You have our deepest sympathies and will be in our prayers.

I am deeply sorrowed to hear about her passing, you are in my prayers.

I too had beloved Grandmother, my mom's mother. I was her very first grandchild and although she loved all of her grandkids, I always shared a special bond with her. I don't think there is a day where I don't think of, and miss her. She passed away in 1997.

May the Peace of God be with you always.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sorry for your loss! We lost our Grandparents ages ago, our parents are all gone except for my Mom, I guess we're next after that. I'm the oldest in my generation, having been the first grandchild born, loved my Grandparents very much. They will always be with you.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss. I lost my last Grandmother and Grandfather back in 1999 four months apart. You never foget them. It does get easier to smile at the memories as time goes by.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post

Anyway, off topic... We lost a great woman yesterday, and we'll be feeling that loss for a long time. Just, please remember, make all the memories you can while you can. With your great grandparents, grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, everybody; because when times get hard, it's those memories that make it just a little easier to get through.

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

Prayers sent RevolvingMag

Take care of your family.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss. Prayers going out to you and the rest of the family.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links