This man's best friend lost

This is a discussion on This man's best friend lost within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I still hang out in the backyard where I buried my red hound a year ago. She was a rescue from an abusive neighbor who ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: This man's best friend lost

I still hang out in the backyard where I buried my red hound a year ago. She was a rescue from an abusive neighbor who was stupid enough to toss her from a moving vehicle in my presence. Sometimes my oldest daughter catches me talking to the little mound of rocks.

The abuse is what killed her. She was unable to learn due to so many hits to the head. She kept breaking chains and ran onto the highway. It messed me up for months. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are just like siblings and they change who you are. I had a father figure who always told me "If you want to get to know a man, take a look at his dog."

253501_201578669886809_5956533_n.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Bless you my friend. I've been there way too many times myself. Buried them all.
    Most went from natural causes....the one I loved the most I had to put down. That was the day I quit being selfish, and dug a hole big enough for a 100lb dog in the back forty on a cold and wet November night. Longest day of my life. I know your loss...believe me.
    Nothing is ever lost so long as we're still here to remember.
    mprp likes this.

Sorry to hear of the loss of one of your companions. I had to had to do the same several years ago. Stay strong and hold on to the good memories.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Very saddened by your loss.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's like losing a best friend every decade or so.
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are absolutely correct, sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I hate to be callous about it, especially at this sad time for me but...

As George Carlin said, "every time you get a dog you just bought yourself a little tragedy."
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Wow, what a pretty dog! Very sorry for your loss. I have lost a few canine best friends along the way and the day that I lose my buddy that's in my avatar will be a very bad day indeed. This winter, he will have been part of the family for 12 years.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." ~Will Rogers~
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking when your buddy is gone. I know that feeling.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

She was a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry for your loss!

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yesterday I had to put my 5 1/2 year old Red Doberman Chloe to rest. Her health had deteriorated to such a point that there was no hope for her recovery.

We had a great last day at the park with my other dog Pierce where Chloe was able to play and show off some of her old spirit and energy. She passed away in my arms peacefully at the Vet's office.

I know that she is at peace now as she was in the picture attached from when she was healthy. She had once been a hulking behemoth as she was even curled up on her bed in the photo before her massive weight loss and sickness had begun.

She was a great loving companion who also doubled as a great security system who will be truly missed.
    I feel for you, we had to put our 8.5 YO lab down last week for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I hate to be callous about it, especially at this sad time for me but...

As George Carlin said, "every time you get a dog you just bought yourself a little tragedy."
    Never thought of it that way. I got a black lab in Feb, hes 9 months in a week or so. Named him Ninja because he sneaks in the house and steals shoes. Already pretty attached to him.

Sorry my friend.......Dogs are like kids that wear fur coats an eat off the floor.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    No damn man kills me and lives.
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

At 5 1/2 years she was young. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss, rammerjammer.

Take comfort in the many great memories.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    So very sorry to hear of Chloe's passing. It is really hard to hold them that last time. I have been there too, and as others have said"it never gets easier". Dogs are angels. No other creatures on this earth give us so much and ask for so little in return.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links