In retrospect...

This is a discussion on In retrospect... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have to say that I am EXTREMELY thankful that some of my potential moves never panned out. I had, at one time, wanted to ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: In retrospect...

Distinguished Member

In retrospect...

I have to say that I am EXTREMELY thankful that some of my potential moves never panned out. I had, at one time, wanted to move to California - three separate times. Thankfully, none of those worked out. I also had almost made a move to Australia. Glad that didn't work out. I had even pondered a move at one time for a contract position, which could have become permanent, in the Chicago area.

So, I had been just thinking how close some of those came to fruition (long before I was into firearms or concealed carry) and how, if I had, I would not be where I am today and would probably just be a sheep.

Whew! Big sigh of relief!
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Yikes. I don't know when you were looking into these places,...but for me currently? NO THANKS! Good thing you did not end up there after-all.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    If you had made any of those moves, your avatar would be very appropriate!
    accessbob likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Yikes. I don't know when you were looking into these places,...but for me currently? NO THANKS! Good thing you did not end up there after-all.
    In 1986 I was going to move down to Santa Rosa, where my brother was at the time, and try to find any job (got down there and saw how expensive it was and said, nope).
    In 2000 I almost got hired at DHL in San Francisco.
    In 2006 I tried getting a database programmer job in Sacramento.
    In 2010 I almost tried getting on doing Access database programming in Australia with someone I knew from the Microsoft MVP Programming. I seriously love Aussie Rules Football (my favorite sport) and was wanting to go there.

And I can't remember what the date was with the Chicago thing but I think it was somewhere in the 2000 area as well when I was looking for a job and was having trouble finding one.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you had made any of those moves, your avatar would be very appropriate!
    His avatar reminds me of Cyberbob from the movie "The Net." Watch out for those Praetorians!

π

I have a list of places I refuse to ever live. Chicago and Detroit are pretty much tied for #1. California is high on the list.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sometimes we have to be thankful for the things that DON'T work out like we hope at the time. My life has been full of a lot of those things. A lot of times now I don't pray for specific things, but that He will work everything out. He has worked some things out for me in ways I could have never imagined asking for.
    accessbob likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

One of my pro-gun buddies had to move to Chicago for a job. After a month or two, he was looking for a new job that would let him move anywhere else! Thankfully, he is back in PA, where he can enjoy the 2A again.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I hear ya. I moved from California to Virginia in 97 and then to NC in 99. I miss CA but don't believe I could ever move back and give up my rights. Perhaps to Medo or Humboldt County as the Sheriffs there seem to be more CCW friendly but certainly not back the Bay. I think NC is too restrictive. I'd rather be in VA again...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Sometimes we have to be thankful for the things that DON'T work out like we hope at the time. My life has been full of a lot of those things. A lot of times now I don't pray for specific things, but that He will work everything out. He has worked some things out for me in ways I could have never imagined asking for.
    True. Sometimes we don't know why something we wanted so badly at the time didn't come to fruition, but we have to trust that He knows.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Glad your not a Sheep!!!!!!

Links