My September 11th Birthday

This is a discussion on My September 11th Birthday within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have the misfortune of having a birthday falling on September 11th. It is coming up on the 11th Anniversary of the events that unfolded ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By oldgael
  • 1 Post By shooterX
  • 1 Post By Ionracas
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By stevem174
  • 2 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod
  • 3 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By qdoggydogg
  • 1 Post By txron

Thread: My September 11th Birthday

My September 11th Birthday

I have the misfortune of having a birthday falling on September 11th. It is coming up on the 11th Anniversary of the events that unfolded that day. The Twin Towers, The Pentagon and that crash in the open field in Pennsylvania.

Even though it has been that long a time, I still have some vivid memories of where I was and how the thing unfolded. I am curious to know where others were, what they were doing and how much has it affected their lives from that point on.

I was off work and doing my thing in an internet Chat Room that morning when suddenly someone gave the news of a plane striking one of the WTC towers in New York. I got off the computer, and turned on the TV to see the one tower with smoke and flames coming out of it. My phone rang and it was my brother in South Carolina wishing me a happy birthday. He works for USAir at the Charlotte-Douglas Airport and was off work too. We were just talking when on TV we saw a plane crash into the other tower. We just could not believe what we were seeing.

He got a call from the airport and needed to go, they were calling all employees to come in. I spent the rest of that day nearly in shock over the events.

It has changed the way I celebrate my birthday, before 2001, it was just that, a birthday. I have to say that it has affected me each time I am reminded of it on this day. I guess I just don't have answers why, and perhaps never will.

I hope I have a happy birthday despite that horror hanging over it. I plan to play music uptown with the musical group that I am in. For those who do not share this day as a birthday but are affected by the terror, I hope it is a good day for all of you and we can get on with our lives, changed in some ways, but able to go on.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Allow me to be Dr. Phil for just a moment... you can remember and pay tribute to what happened without it ruining your birthday. If we grind to halt, whether as a nation or as individuals, then they win. Don't let them win.
    Ionracas and JoJoGunn like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

One of my closest friends shares both our tragedy & your birthday. I have to regularly remind him that it's NOT just the date of the most infamous attack on the U.S. in memory. It's the also the model designation of my all-time favorite Porsche! Happy Birthday JoJo. We are NOT A NATION of the panty-waisted candy asses. We are a nation of righteously indignant, Lion-Hearted Fire Eaters. Still the envy of the Free World with NO ONE struggling to get across our borders & OUT of HERE. God Bless the USA!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Happy birthday JoJo. Don't let this thing take anything from you. We are makking them pay for it. I heard we got another one to day.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson. Always remember our military. Me

VIP Member
    Yeah Happy Birthday JoJo, you can remember and celebrate your birthday also.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Happy birthday. My little cousin was born on 9-11 also, mine is shared with Virginia Tech.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

OD*
    I hope you can have a happy birthday, JoJo.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I was working in Bristol, CT, 85 miles as the crow flies from ground zero. A little before 9 am a co-worker said a plane flew into one of the twin towers at the WTC, and that it was on TV in the conference room. I thought boy, that's pretty odd, but over the years several aircraft have collided with buildings in NYC. With no sense of urgency or dread, I finished what I was doing and wandered into the conference room just as the second plane hit. At that point, I thought there must have been a colossal failure of the air traffic control system in the NYC area, and that with 3 major commercial airports and one of the busiest general aviation airports all within 15 miles of each other, there would likely be more. Absolutely no thoughts about terrorism. But within the hour, with the other crashes, it was clear we were under attack as we had never been before.

My ex was a high school teacher in a wealthy town in Fairfield County, and a lot of the parents work in NYC. School was cancelled around 1 pm.

I work in aerospace and we are generally a conservative lot with a strong affinity for things military. To say we were all shocked was an understatement, and the office discussions led to speculation about what other parts of our infrastructure might come under attack.

Locally, within a day there was a haze in the sky to the southwest from the smoke and dust in the air over NYC, which lasted a week or more.

A decade later I am remarried with twin stepsons who celebrated their 10th birthdays on 9/11/01, and who turn 21 tomorrow. For better or worse, the attack of that day is a complete abstraction to them, little more than sharing a birthday with a famous person. It's a bit more significant to me.

JoJo, don't overdo the somber bit on your birthday tomorrow. Give the historical event its due, but celebrate your own life and how lucky you are to live where you do with the freedoms you enjoy.
    And never forget.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I was a Paramedic crew chief out on medical leave, rehabbing after a knee reconstruction. My wife and I heard about the first plane as I was dropping her off at work on a military base. The second plane hit not too long after I got to a TV. I spent the rest of the day watching TV, driving around town watching the security measures. I also spent the day trying to figure out how I could get out the door to deploy on a rescue team. Yeah, I know...I had no business going with a bum knee, but I had to try.

Happy birthday JoJo, you were here first! I really do hope you take a little time to enjoy it.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Thank you all for the wishes and support. As it turns out, I try to be upbeat and positive on this day in spite of what we-know-who wants to have happen to us. They tried to kill us and our Spirit, but even within this tragedy, they failed miserably. Since then, there have really been no huge threats or acts of terror because we are vigilant like never before.

I came here to post my feelings and in return got healing and support and that is what we are all about. God bless the United States of America and all of you!
    Ionracas and stevem174 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The date of your birth is never unfortunate.

JoJoGunn likes this.

VIP Member
    Happy birthday, JoJo
    OD*, P5 and JoJoGunn like this.

I share some of your sentiments and today is my birthday as well! I choose to celebrate life and not live in fear, and thank god for those who are protecting the freedoms I cherish so I can enjoy another great birthday. Funny thing is until 9/11/01, I always complained that nothing cool ever happened on my birthday, with the exception of Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hits record! Celebrate your birth and remember the lives that were lost, but don't think for one minute that you have to relive those horrors every year, and should celebrate any less.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Happy Birthday. My father in law passed away on my brithday 17 yrs ago. My wife still wishes me a happy birthday with a kiss and tears in her eyes.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Links