Where were you on 9/11/01? - Page 3

Where were you on 9/11/01?

This is a discussion on Where were you on 9/11/01? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We were at home getting ready to do some painting when a friend of ours called and said to turn on the TV. Before the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Where were you on 9/11/01?

OD*
    We were at home getting ready to do some painting when a friend of ours called and said to turn on the TV. Before the second plane hit, it reminded me of a book I had read years ago about the crash of a B25 bomber into the Empire State Building in 1945, after the second plane hit, we knew it was no accident.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

We were in our HQ's when it happend. We already started getting the wheels in motion about 30 seconds after the first plane hit. It was obvious to us it was not an accident. An airline does not fly into a building during a nice sunny day. If it was a smaller acft it would not have caused that damage unless it had explosives on it.

I called my wife and told her I will be late that night. That happened all with 5 minutes of the first one.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

On my way to work, listening to the news on the radio. When I arrived at work, everyone was glued to news websites on their computer monitors. No one was thinking about work. We were all sent home. Even though I was not in NY, this was one of the worst days of my life.

In 7th Grade History class. We spent all day and about 3 more days watching the news.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

VIP Member
    I was working as an air traffic controller at Washington Center (ZDC) on 9/11. As you can imagine, since I worked the airspace right above DC for about 6 hours, it was a rough day.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Installing nightvision on a Black Hawk UH-60 at Fort Rucker, AL.

We were listening to the radio while we were working and the DJ announced that a 'small plane' had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. As we continued working the DJ announced that an Airliner hit the second tower. Everyone stopped working and just stood looking at each other with a shocked look on their faces. I told the crew, "Better get back to work guys, the military is going to need a lot of these in the coming days."

One crewman asked, "Why do you think the military is going to need more Black Hawks?"

To which I replied, "Because these are machines of war...and right now we are at war."
    msgt/ret likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

At home, getting ready to go to work my half of the week. I know this was a Wednesday. Got up around 9AM and turned on the TV to watch this all happen in real time. My mistake was wanting to fill up my tank with gasoline on the way to work that day. I had no idea this crippled my little town where gas prices were outrageous, and there were lines out onto the roads with folks waiting in line for gas in a panic mode. I have so much more to say that we should all feel some shame in some way about that day.
    Never forget.

P5
    I was at work, about 1.5 miles from the Pentagon. We were all watching on the internet and on televisions about the WTC when we hear the explosion of flight #77 ionto the Pentagon. Went outside and could see the thick black smoke rising from the explosion. Not too long after that everyone north of us hit the road and jammed the streets. nobody was moving. People were walking out of Arlington, Crystal City and DC to get out of dodge any way possible. Even the sidewalks were jammed with people, kinda like you see on New Years eve in TIme Square.

Definately a day that will never be forgotten!!!
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I was working as an air traffic controller at Washington Center (ZDC) on 9/11. As you can imagine, since I worked the airspace right above DC for about 6 hours, it was a rough day.
    My dad was a controller there!! Not in 2001 but until he retired in the 90's.

I was visiting my parents, wrapping up my maternity leave after having my 2nd son. I was getting some much needed sleep when my mom woke me up about the first plane hitting. I remember thinking what a weird accident, how is that possible? When she came in and told me of the second one, like so many others, you knew then we were under attack. From then on we were glued to the TV. Also once other targets were apparent, like the Pentagon, I remember wanting everyone together. My husband wasn't with me on that trip, my sister and brother were in other states, etc. We finally realized HOURS later that we really needed to turn off the TV, my 3 yr old was watching, but it was so hard to turn away from.

I was a TSgt teaching a room full of sergeants how to be USAF historians at Maxwell AFB, AL. We were finishing a test and one of my students that finished early came back to the classroom and told me. I thought he was kidding - "If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'" he said and I followed him to the breakroom.

There, in front of a big screen TV, was a crowd of people. Both towers were burning. I called my wife and she put on the same station - we both saw the first tower fall...

Nothing seemed to matter anymore that day...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

OD*
    Rod, September 11th, 2001 was a Tuesday.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I lived in Coconut Creek Florida at the time. I was a juror on a murder trial. The court was located in the Ft. Lauderdale area.
    I had the TV on as I was getting ready for the day and I watched the second plane hit the other tower, the first tower was already in flames.
    I remember saying to my wife that this is no accident! The second plane was AIMING for the tower! No chance it was an accident.
    I was horrified at the sight unfolding on screen but I had to report to the courthouse.
    I listened to the news as I drove the twenty minutes or so. Then the report came in that the Pentagon was struck and for my whole drive, I kept my eyes on the sky! Nobody knew who or what might be the next target.
    When I got to the court house, it was total chaos. They had received a threat of some kind and there where police EVERYWHERE! They had large concrete slabs blocking off intersections as well a police cars doing like wise in the parking structure.
    Security was massive as I made my way to the building. Police officers where stopping us and asking for ID and other relevant court information before we could even get to the front door!
    Once I made it in, I was directed to a waiting area. I was told I had to wait until the Judge determined it was safe to be in the building.
    It didn't take long before we were all sent packing.
    They closed the courthouse for the day and I had another drive home that I spent looking at the sky!

I was working in the Gulf of Mexico. I remember thinking somebody sure messed up.

I was working at Yatesville Lake State Park, which we shut down for the day when we heard the terrible news. A coffer dam holds back the water from a small community, so they were afraid it may have been a target. ;)

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps

I was at work when my wife called and told me a plane hit the WTC. I thought "what an idiot"......then the second plane hit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links