Where were you on 9/11/01? - Page 4

Where were you on 9/11/01?

This is a discussion on Where were you on 9/11/01? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was a senior in high school. It was 2nd period AP Spanish class when I heard a plan hit the tower. I was young, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Where were you on 9/11/01?

I was a senior in high school. It was 2nd period AP Spanish class when I heard a plan hit the tower. I was young, naive and didnt even realize the history of terrorist attacks there. I (along with many others) figured it was an accident.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Off duty and taking care of some personal stuff until I got a call from my cellphone to come to work. As I was changing into my cammies, I noticed while watching the news that an airliner struck the Pentagon. During that day, I was assigned to a base in Yorktown as part of Naval Security Force.

I was in college and sleeping at the time the first plane hit. Unaware of what happened, my mom called me and told me to put on the TV. As I watching in disbelief, I saw the second plane hit. I just remember being totally lost and stunned that day as were many others.

In the middle of a speech in class. Maybe 9th grade... the teachers phone kept ringing during it and she finally answered it and immediately turned the news on. Shortly afterwards we were all sent home.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I was in the Air Force. I had only been at my first duty station for 6 weeks. I was an Avionics Technician on F-16's. I usually watched the news before going in, but was running late that morning. I didn't know anything was happening until I got to work and everyone was in the breakroom watching the news. We watched the second tower get hit and both towers fall. Around 11, we got orders from higher headquarters to start loading jets with live munitions.
    We were in the middle of nowhere New Mexico and around 1:30 we got reports of an airplane at a low altitude headed straight for the base. This was after all aircraft had been grounded in US airspace. Naturally this caused a stir and none of the aircraft were ready to launch so we had to take cover and wait to see what would happen. Turns out that it was a crop duster that was not aware of the national situation.

VIP Member
    Driving into work late. I had "mancow" on the radio and he announced that a plane hit the WTC. Very early on he said it was terrorism. He said if he worked in a tall building in any major city to get out now and that more would come. I arrived at work a few moments later. We found a 10" TV in the closet and put it on. I saw the second plane fly into tower #2 on live TV.

I will never forget that day and I hope we all remember and work to support strong leaders so it won't ever happen again.

I was in middle school and after the first plane hit, everyone was brought to the library to watch the news on tv. The room was dead silent as everyone sat there watching. When I got home, my family reviewed our bug out plans if things got worse; who was going to pick me up from school, whether we would be able to meet up before going to the rural property we would stay at, etc.

Darryl Worley - Have You Forgotten? - YouTube
    oneshot likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I was at work and tuned in to the TV after the the first one hit and also watched the second hit on live TV. After that I had to get back to work but I remember being glued to the TV for days after that, whenever I could, wondering who it was we were going to whoop up on and when it was going to happen.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I was at home.. Saw it all... Called friends and told them to turn on their TVs.

The book in my sig line might explain it. I warn you, it has a religious bent... But it may set you to thinking real hard about where we're headed...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I was in Germany, the senior Chaplain over two bases and 5 communities. I think I was working on stupid administrative stuff (the end of the fiscal year). My secretary told me that somebody from the bottom floors of the Headqaurters (we had the top floor) called to say the US was under attack. We had a large TV in the conference room so I went in and got it to work just in time to see the second plane fly into the tower. I remember the awfulfeeling in my gut realizing that the plane was probably full of innocent passengers. Up to that point, security on our bases had been pretty relaxed. The bases shut down and I was called into an emergency meeting at the HQ.

Later that evening, I went to our (now closed gates) to visit with the soliders on guard and the German citizens who had gathered there at each gate. Many people do not know that all around Germany, as our bases locked down, the German citizens brought wreaths, flowers and candles by the van load. Many German citizens stood there openly weeping as they stood vigil. It still brings tears to my eyes.
    atctimmy, mprp, TomEgun and 1 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

It's incredible how we all recall exactly where we were and what we were doing at the time of the attacks.
    A truly momentous occasion that changed us all in one way or another, even though some of us lived far from ground zero.
    God bless and keep though who suffered and persevered.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I was in Germany, the senior Chaplain over two bases and 5 communities. I think I was working on stupid administrative stuff (the end of the fiscal year). My secretary told me that somebody from the bottom floors of the Headqaurters (we had the top floor) called to say the US was under attack. We had a large TV in the conference room so I went in and got it to work just in time to see the second plane fly into the tower. I remember the awfulfeeling in my gut realizing that the plane was probably full of innocent passengers. Up to that point, security on our bases had been pretty relaxed. The bases shut down and I was called into an emergency meeting at the HQ.

Later that evening, I went to our (now closed gates) to visit with the soliders on guard and the German citizens who had gathered there at each gate. Many people do not know that all around Germany, as our bases locked down, the German citizens brought wreaths, flowers and candles by the van load. Many German citizens stood there openly weeping as they stood vigil. It still brings tears to my eyes.
    As your story does to mine.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I was in yearly firearms refresher training in North Carolina when a captain came down and advised us during a break what had happened. We went on with training for the rest of the day and did not catch any of the news until that evening after training was complete.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I was working on a copier at a local hospital. I had it scattered all over a table in a break room which had a TV in it. GMA was on and I watched the 1st hit coverage and saw the 2nd hit live. That copier took a really long time to get put back together that day. Only later in the day did I get the news of the other 2 planes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In bed asleep at Eielson AFB, Alaska after working night shift on the flightline fixing A/OA-10s. Got a phone call after being asleep for less than 4 hours, watched what was happening on the T.V. made coffee and got back into uniform to await the recall from my squadron.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links