Good news/bad news - moving to California

This is a discussion on Good news/bad news - moving to California within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well...I found out I'm headed to California (bad news)...good news is, it is to command a squadron (good news) Can't bring my evil black rifle, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Good news/bad news - moving to California

Well...I found out I'm headed to California (bad news)...good news is, it is to command a squadron (good news)

Can't bring my evil black rifle, so I'll be looking for a lever action .357

As part as a permit is concerned , what are the chances of getting one in Northern California?....near/around Yuba City? Anyone? Anyone?

It will definitely be a big change from Virginia...slightly better than Germany.

Any help?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I can't offer any help, but I can offer congratulations on your new command.

I was stationed on YBI back in the early 80's. Bay area and north is just beautiful, it just gets prettier as you head north. If you can get a permit and ignore the politics, you should have a nice stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    As part as a permit is concerned , what are the chances of getting one in Northern California?....near/around Yuba City? Anyone? Anyone?
    You're far, far more likely to encounter an effectively "shall issue" county in northern CA than practically anywhere else in the state.

Definitely check CalGuns.net prior to moving, to see if you can reside in a pro-gun, essentially shall-issue state with an amenable, rational sheriff. It's the sheriffs who get to determine whether your reason is good enough to warrant issuance of a CHL. At CalGuns, you can check their "counties" section, where you'll find info on the pro-gun and anti-gun counties throughout the state. It's a good place to start, and a great place to find like-minded folk who've done the CHL two-step before, including those who've navigated the morass in anti-gunner counties.

The only downside is, many of the counties are really big, hence living in a more-or-less gun-friendly one might consign you to a long, long commute.

Lived there for years, in a (more or less) shall-issue county where the only necessary reason one needed to specify was: for all lawful purposes. Gotta love sanity and rationality, wherever it's found ... even in a communist state.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You are moving to a CCW friendly area, Fairly red-necked and conservative. Got a bunch of friends up there, I used to live 40 miles North-East of Beale in the hills. If you have a family do them a favor and don't live off-base in the Marysville-Yuba City zone but get them out of town. The farther North-East you go the better it gets.
    source; County Map for California CCW Issuance - CalCCW
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Yes you can bring your "assault weapons" there is a permit for military members that allows you to bring guns owned prior to moving to cali! The only down side is that you cant buy more "assault weapons" while you're there. Just call the California DOJ for more info.
    Molon Labe

VIP Member
    Congratulations SIGguy!

Sounds like there is a, well, a Bronze lining to any clouds above for you in the matter of where in the state you'll be regarding the likelyhood of getting a permit.

I have to agree with Whec in that if you don't let to much of the Left Coast mentality get to you, you'll be alright.
    I have cousins in Sacramento and the handful of times we have visited, the people seem pretty level-headed and not all filled with the attitude and thought process that you would often see along the southern coast.

Although, my cousins do complain that the high cost of living along the edge has people with the lack of conservatism migrating N and NE.

Good luck with your new endeavor!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Definitely check CalGuns.net prior to moving. It's a good place to start, and a great place to find like-minded folk who've done the CHL two-step before, including those who've navigated the morass in anti-gunner counties.
    Thank God I live in Texas where we don't have to "show good cause" as to why we want to defend ourselves and stay alive and healthy. Imagine having to show good cause as to why you should be able to drive a car! Ok, that's not a right, but what about this: "applicant must show good cause as to why he/she should be allowed to write a letter to the editor complaining about the President of the United States."

We'd howl if we ever were required to show good cause for exercising our freedom of speech or religion.

Good luck in Kalifornia. Hope you can get an assignment that's in a better place for gun rights.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Thanks for sharing this map. I've always had this question - if you get a permit in, say, San Bernadino county, are you allowed to carry in Los Angeles county? If yes, doesn't anyone else see the total ludicrousness of this situation? If the CCW permit is good state-wide, what's the point in denying permits to residents of a particular county?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    We'd howl if we ever were required to show good cause for exercising our freedom of speech or religion.
    CA is still one of those places that doesn't recognize saving your own life or lives of other innocents as being a justifiable cause for issuance of a CHL, at least at the state constitution level. It's up to the sheriff in the county where one resides to determine of a person has good and sufficient cause. It's absurd and infuriating in the extreme, to say the least.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Thanks for sharing this map. I've always had this question - if you get a permit in, say, San Bernadino county, are you allowed to carry in Los Angeles county? If yes, doesn't anyone else see the total ludicrousness of this situation? If the CCW permit is good state-wide, what's the point in denying permits to residents of a particular county?
    Yes, yes, and it is a local matter. Each County Sheriff or Police Chief (in cities) can restrict or implement the State's CCW rules as he sees fit. That works for us in the good parts of the state because 2/3 of the people in the non-green (and San Mateo) areas of the map always out vote the rest of us. Our representatives do not represent the larger portion of the state, only the population centers. They often parole sex offenders to the counties with the lowest Democratic voter count. It seems as though most of the politicians and the city residents are not California Natives. Please invite them to come home. This map almost copies the map of Democrat or Republican voting zones here.
    mprp likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I envy you. I was stationed at Beale AFB from 59 thru 63. Then to Fairbanks, Alaska. Tried to be re-assigned when my Alaskan tour was up, but it was not to be. Have visited there several times since. It's one big beautiful place. More especially for the outdoors type people. The only regret to me is that it happens to be in Kaliforniastan.

Hey SIG, you're getting up around my neck of the woods. And unless things have changed since this map, (just putting in my disclaimer ) you should be good to go as far as a CCW. And as stated above, I'd take the advice about calling the DOJ and ask them your questions. At least you will be in a better area than most are in out here. And congratulations on your new duty! So when the move?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

SIGguy, consider picking up a copy of John Machtinger's book: How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail (California, 2012).

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Yes, yes, and it is a local matter. Each County Sheriff or Police Chief (in cities) can restrict or implement the State's CCW rules as he sees fit. That works for us in the good parts of the state because 2/3 of the people in the non-green (and San Mateo) areas of the map always out vote the rest of us. Our representatives do not represent the larger portion of the state, only the population centers. They often parole sex offenders to the counties with the lowest Democratic voter count. It seems as though most of the politicians and the city residents are not California Natives. Please invite them to come home. This map almost copies the map of Democrat or Republican voting zones here.
    Another question, say you get a CCW from a green county and then move to a red county? Is your permit still good? Do you need to reapply or "move" your permit tto the new county and if so can they revoke or restrict it?
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Another question, say you get a CCW from a green county and then move to a red county? Is your permit still good? Do you need to reapply or "move" your permit tto the new county and if so can they revoke or restrict it?
    There's a requirement to notify upon change of residence address: CA Penal Code 26210:

26210. (a) When a licensee under this article has a change of
    address, the license shall be amended to reflect the new address and
    a new license shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section

(b) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing
    within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of residence

(c) If both of the following conditions are satisfied, a license
    to carry a concealed handgun may not be revoked solely because the
    licensee's place of residence has changed to another county
    :

(1) The licensee has not breached any of the conditions or
    restrictions set forth in the license.

(2) The licensee has not become prohibited by state or federal law
    from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (c), if a licensee's place of
    residence was the basis for issuance of a license, any license issued
    pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155 shall expire 90 days after the
    licensee moves from the county of issuance.

(e) If the license is one to carry loaded and exposed a pistol,
    revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the
    person, the license shall be revoked immediately upon a change of the
    licensee's place of residence to another county.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links