Thinking of becoming EMT

This is a discussion on Thinking of becoming EMT within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am hoping to have a long career or if the lord leads me further into the healthcare field. I just want to be able ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thinking of becoming EMT

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I am hoping to have a long career or if the lord leads me further into the healthcare field. I just want to be able to give someone a smile and that personal touch that shows them that they are not alone and someone truely does care no matter the situation. Everytime I am at a medical facility I see so many people who lack the personal touch they just want you in and out ASAP.
    Spirit51 and Ionracas like this.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I remember before I was in EMS I was a Respiratory Therapist. We had a young patient who decided to dive into a rock quarry. It not only broke his neck...but put him in a "vegetable state". We did ventilator care and after a couple of months he was breathing on his own. We then gave him breathing treatments with a mask as he didn't show any signs of mentally recovering. When I first started caring for him, his doctor told me to talk to him like any patient, because we really couldn't say that he didn't hear us. I always did...talking to him about weather, sports, and new movies. It was his birthday (after a few months) and I told him, "You have a beautiful day for your Birthday"...he looked out the window. I was so excited I got the nurses and doctors. He did it again and squeezed hands on command. He started coming around after that and told me he always heard me talking to him and how it gave him hope. He had a long road to recovery, but he did enough to have a productive life. I have always remembered that...no matter what the age or condition....I always talk to them....let them know what we are doing and what to expect and that they are not alone. Even when someone is dieing...they need that connection.
    Thanks for the story and an important reminder for everyone.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links