I need prayers for my son Scotty.

This is a discussion on I need prayers for my son Scotty. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We moved back to Tennessee and his condition (Arachnoid cyst in the back of his skull, on the inside) seemed to go into remission. Well, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I need prayers for my son Scotty.

I need prayers for my son Scotty.

We moved back to Tennessee and his condition (Arachnoid cyst in the back of his skull, on the inside) seemed to go into remission. Well, it's back, and it's worse than ever.

He is having almost daily headaches. His balance is effected now. He told us a week or so ago that he was jumping while playing and when he jumped he could feel a sharp pain right where the cyst is. Then, yesterday, he and his older brother were playing and his brother tossed him onto his bed. When he landed, on a soft bed mind you, he screamed out in pain and grabbed the back of his head. It was a scream I've never heard a child make and I never want to hear it again. He was in such debilitating pain he couldn't even form words for over a minute. Then the pain subsided after maybe 4 minutes. We had of course already called 911 and the ambulance was there in less than 8 minutes.

A trip to the ER, his Neurologist coming in and we now have a referral to a Neurosurgeon. We will see what this doc says but the problem is, as I have found out, many Neuro docs have been taught that these particular kind of cysts don't cause problems. But he has almost daily headaches, with the pain centered exactly where the cyst is in his head. It is between his skull and brain and is actually pushing his brain out of its proper position. He says the pain feels like someone is pushing very hard with their finger right on that spot. How in the world can they NOT see that the cyst is the cause of this pain? After this was all over he told my wife and I that he wants to have the operation to remove the cyst. He's been terrified of it before this but now it's all he wants.

From the research we have done, with the escalation of symptoms he is showing, the next step up may well be seizures and further neurological damage that could be permanent.

In any case, if this doc does not see that this is the cause, I will find one who does. I have a list of docs who specialize in Arachnoid Cyst operations and we will travel to where ever we have to to get this taken care of. SO I need prayers and lots of them everyone. I need prayers that this doc will recognize that this is the problem and that he can fix it. I need prayers for Scotty to be pain free and to heal quickly. I just want him to be a happy little 10 year old boy again, one who isn't always worried that everything he does may set off a headache.

We all just want this nightmare to be over.

Here are a couple of pictures of him. The first is of him at the Memphis Children's Museum sitting in the firetruck. The second is with his Brothers and Sister at a town celebration where we live. He's in the middle in the Superman T-shirt.

107.JPG215.JPG
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

So sorry to hear about your son. You certainly have my prayers for his recovery, and I hope the little guy feels better ASAP. It really saddens me to hear about the pain he's experiencing during his ordeal, it just seems so unfair at such a young age.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Im terribly sorry to hear this. I wish you all the best of luck. I wont name specific places for your privacy but if hes at the childrens hospital I hope it helps to know, they are some of the best pediatric healthcare providers I have ever worked with. Ill keep you all in my thoughts.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Prayers on the way.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Very sorry to hear this news. Prayers for him, and the whole family. I'm sure this is terribly stressful for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

My prayers are with you and your son.

Rich

In defense of the neurologists, the pain is weird. It should be a giant red-flag that there's something else going on. The brain has no pain centers for itself, and the pain nerves for the skull/head don't feed into the brain where you'd feel the pain. If you disturbed the central nervous system to cause a sensation of pain in that region, you'd need to disturb the CNS is a local quite different from where the sensation would be. All of the 'brain' parts that perceive pain in that area are really quite far away from that part of the skull, the only part of the 'pain processing' that are close to that region are the pain neurons themselves, which proceed from the upper spinal cord to enervate the skin. If you click this picture, the neurons extend from "C2" to send projections into the area behind your head.

The alternative explanation is that the pain neurons for the skull have been attracted and over-sensitized by the cyst. This means the cyst would've had to grow into the skull itself to extrude growth factors that far. I'm not doubting your son's pain; pain is real. It's just that for my theory to be correct would require extremely exceptional circumstances. The goto diagnosis would be to see if a local anesthetic could end the pain. If the anesthetic stops the pain, then it's something to do with the nerve itself. If it doesn't,then there's some other internal issue.

Best of luck!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

So sorry to hear this. You and your son will be in my prayers today.

I'm so very sorry to hear he's experiencing such pain and will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I agree with you - if the dr coming in doesn't say what you feel your son needs, find another. And if necessary, another. My son has epilepsy and I hate the thought of your boy progressing to seizures, that's something no child should have to endure. Praying the neurosurgeon coming in feels the need for the surgery and he can be pain free, unafraid and able enjoy his childhood fully!

Our prayers are with you.

So sorry to hear about your son, and prayers are going up from Florida for him and ya'll. I am a pediatric brain tumor survivor, softball size, and had it removed at Egelston Children's hospital in Atlanta, GA.
    Unfortunately the nuerosurgeon who removed my tumor is no longer practicing, but they have incredible doctors there. Just a suggestion. Again praying for your son and family.

Shane

Sorry that your son is going through this, and sorry that your in such a position with the doctor.

Praying for your entire family :)

Prayers sent for you, your son and you family.

Prayers to you and your family. The little guy deserves to be a happy little 10 year old. Stay positive that he will recover and live a long healthy life.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

That little guy looks like he's ready for an adventure (or some mischief) keep an eye on that one

Prayers are with all of you, keep us posted and if there is anything my family can do don't hesitate to ask.

Pat
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links