Loss of a good friend and Former Force Recon Marine

This is a discussion on Loss of a good friend and Former Force Recon Marine within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I received a call this morning that my friend and former Force Recon Marine, Ron Gana, was tragically killed in an automobile accident. Also killed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of a good friend and Former Force Recon Marine

VIP Member

Loss of a good friend and Former Force Recon Marine

I received a call this morning that my friend and former Force Recon Marine, Ron Gana, was tragically killed in an automobile accident.
    Also killed in the accident was his wife Virginia. He served with the 2nd Force Recon.

Ron was a hell of a guy. We met when he was a Lt. with the Dept of Corrections. He served part time on our Police Department where we quickly became friends.
    He and I took over training and started the first Tac team together. He was our departments and teams less lethal instructor and his did love his OC classes.
    He was an avid shooter, and loved to ride his Japanese look alike Harley and overall was not bad for a yankee transplant.

Ron rose to the position of Asst. Warden of one of the states largest correctional facilities and was on the verge of retirement when the accident occurred.

We went through a lot together. Kicked some doors, froze our ass off in the snow sitting in a back yard waiting for the dope to arrive but he never bitched he just laughed at me saying "Shoot I grew up in this, you a little cold there redneck".

They will both be missed. Semper Fi Brother.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    May he always have Fair Winds and Following Seas in the afterlife! God Speed, he is guarding the Gates!

Sad that a traffic accident would take............. well, my prayers.

Was he in French Creek in the late '80's, or early 90's? I was at 2nd ANGLICO then, and would have jumped with him. We shared the same ranges, Para Loft and chow hall with ANGLICO, Recon, and LSB, as well as the same drop aircraft/zones. It was 2nd SRIG before disbanded and then (oops, the 'Smart Guys' realized the mistake) they slowly rebuilt the capability after 9/11.

Semper Fi,
    Last edited by ANGLICO; October 21st, 2012 at 02:44 AM.

I always hate to hear when a fellow Marine leaves us. My condolences to you.

I was at French Creek for awhile before going to MTU in Quantico, I came back in 93 and went to LAI, which later became LAR. Small world for the few and the proud. Semper Fi.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Godspeed, Marine.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sorry to hear. He is on the final bivouac.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a hell of a guy.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    That he was
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Seems like Heaven must need some good guys,They sure have been getting a lot of Great Warriors lately.RIP
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry to hear that, God bless both of them.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

God bless them both..

VIP Member
    R.I.P. Brother
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

VIP Member
    That is gut-wrenching to hear, and then it is compounded by the fact that his wife also died in the crash.
    May the good Lord watch over their souls.

Prayers sent, and I trust they had no children who are affected by this tragic loss.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Prayers to the family. Godspeed Marine.

Fair winds and following seas... Semper Fi
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links