MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

This is a discussion on MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........ within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No better information than first hand. Thanks for taking the time to share it so soon after the disaster. My condolences on your cat. Others ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

No better information than first hand. Thanks for taking the time to share it so soon after the disaster. My condolences on your cat.

Others have chimed in with food to have on hand so I hope it's ok to add kimchi to the list. For Koreans it is the equivalent of pasta (meaning national dish). Originally it was made in clay jars and buried so I'm assuming it has a bit of a shelf life. I don't think I'd make it a staple but it sure would be a nice diversion from normal western fare. It's fermented cabbage and quite pungent but once you get past the smell it's quite tasty. Last batch I had I picked up at a Korean grocery store. Not as good as the really stuff but it'd do in a pinch. Just a thought.

Kimchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Glad to hear you guys pulled through. 9 days, that's gotta be tough. I'm working on my emergency food stash and finishing some other preparations - this is good info, thanks for sharing.
    Hope everyone is doing good - mentally and emotionally - I'm certain its very stressful.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Thank you for posting your account of surviving the storm. I'm so sorry you lost Whiskers, that's by far the worst part.

It's very interesting reading what you thought was most valuable and what was helpful and what wasn't.
    I'm taking note and will be picking up extra things next time I go to the grocery store, especially batteries and drinking water. We use propane for our gas stove so we'd be ok till that ran out. We also have a propane gas log fireplace that we converted from a wood burning fireplace and a huge Propane tank. But, in a longer term situation like you experienced we'd obviously need to make other plans.

You've given some great information, thanks again for taking the time to write it down. I'm praying that you don't have to go through that ever again. Best of luck with the present snowstorm. You guys can't catch a break.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Well............had 7" of snow fall last night here............wires and trees down again in some places as the snow is wet and heavy.......we're good.....tired....physically and mentally.
    I appreciate all the support from my friends here........it helped last night when things finally quieted down.
    Many here in NJ have lost everything..........are coast and shoreline is basically gone. The wave force was so powerful during the Hurricane it wiped out all the shore areas and people have nothing left there. Complete light houses are missing off their rock foundations....see Old Orchard Light House and Romer Shoal Light House on the web...just gone.....all the marina's and boats left in dry dock to wait out Sandy are gone. The Coast Guard is positioned in Raritan Bay not alowwing any boat traffic due to debris, wreckage, pilings and docks floating into the Bay from the Shrewsbury River in NJ and NY harbor. The Shrewsbury River was hit with a 19'-0 storm surge plus high tides from a full moon all in the early morning hours.......Coastal towns like Seabright, Avon, Atlantic Highlands, Brick, Toms River, Belmar and on down the NJ coast are basically gone.....Mantalokin, NJ had such a large gas explosion that every home in the township was dammaged. Manasquan NJ has a new inlet cut through from the ocean inland....our coastal island towns are gone......Holgate, Beach Haven, Surf City, Ship Bottom, Loveladies, Barnegat.
    People hear are suffering still without power and heat and now having this snow dumped on us last night is a living Nightmare for them...........if you can help in any way or through any agency.......Please help them in South Jersey Now......pails, shovels, detergents, work gloves, mops, brooms, anything to clean with, plastic garbage bags, toys, sleeping bags, paper towels, package foods, gatorade, diapers.....churches here in NJ are collecting....Geeeezzzz........we we're the lucky one's.

VIP Member
    Oh my gosh! I had NO idea it was like that. The media for the most part are not reporting the magnatude of the destruction.
    It's just unbelieveable! I'm so, so sorry for you folks that are going through this. I'll definitely look into donations and help.
    Stay safe and warm if possible.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The United Way of Monmouth County, Ocean County, Union County are all asking for massive volunteer help....

New Jersey Volunteer Emergency Response Hotline........1-800-JERSEY-7
    Monmouth County.........732-938-5988
    Ocean County...............732-240-0311

Re: MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

You believe the media?

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Senior Moderator
    Keep safe, I'm glad to hear that you and your family are making it okay, and I'm sorry about the loss of your cat. Yes dried food goods are important during an emergency we have dried beans, rice and pasta. Add some chicken or beef bullion to the beans and rice and they are tasty, plus spam or other canned meat and you can last awhile with them.

QK's suggestion of jams, jellies and peanut butter are great if you have kids. I would add popcorn, my sons think that whenever the power goes out we are suppose to pop popcorn in the fire place using one of these Amazon.com: Coleman Popcorn Popper: Sports & Outdoors
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

A fireplace or woodstove in a home is of the utmost importance.............we have neither.....but are now considering putting one in.
    pgrass101 likes this.

I feel your pain. Take care and be safe.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    glad you're ok.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Just spoke with a friend who still has no power & no heat due to the utilitiy co's not having enough parts for line and pole repairs......10 days for him now. I now remember hearing the telephone poles cracking in front of our home from the wind and the red and green flashes in the gray cloudy nightskies from all the nearby transformers exploding......just a Hellish evening.
    Just now heard:
    Long beach Island is shut off to the everyone even news media...cannot go there.....the news crews are at the Tuckerton side of the Manahawkin Bridge over the Causeway......the entire island is closed now due to flooding from last night's Nor'Easter.....just a total disaster area.
    The Seaside NJ. AmusementPark and ferris wheel are out in the ocean as Seaside is in ruins.....The Keansburg NJ pier is gone and the town of Keansburg is severly flooded with the sewarge treatment plants in ruins.

Curfews are in place along all the coastal towns with the Nat'l Guard making arrests after curfew hours......heard of one Rat Bastage traveling around Ocean County taking $500.00 deposits for tree removals and clean up and not returning....an alert was posted for a truck with S. Carolina plates.

Ex Member
    Stay strong! Things always get better.

Thank you for letting us know what is going on. The news doesn't really tell us much. I have made sure I have everything in the house you have listed plus other things too. When we were without power for a week I thanked the good Lord we had a generator so we had heat and the sump pumps could run. Still keep everyone in my prayers. This is more than a tough time for many.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

A generator and many spare gas cans are a MUST.............don't even question the price of getting one......get it.

Also, we have a few Coleman laterns both battery operated and gas with mantles....these were left over from when I use to take the family camping....they were really a life saver at night. Have bags of candles stored up but didn't use any....that would have really been our last resort. Also had stored, paper plates, cups and paper towels....so they could be used and thrown away....no wasting water for cleaning dishes....and a good First Aid Kit is a real necessity as our 911 didn't work with the phone service out.
    Oh, if you don't own a chain saw...consider buying one....ours was an indespensable tool for tree removal and cutting wood. Had to remove 4 trees from our house on tuesday morning after the storm passed....my wife was relieved once we got them off the house and found that the roof wasn't too badly dammaged.

Fox news is really covering this Super Storm Sandy and the Nor'Easter last evening.....check Fox for pics of New Jersey Storm Coverage.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links