MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

This is a discussion on MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........ within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hang in there. Things will return to normal, they just won't ever be the same....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

Hang in there. Things will return to normal, they just won't ever be the same.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure your situation isn't over yet. Keep a low profile with things and food that you have and be prepared to defend it all from those who are completely relying on the govt. to save them. I imagine that there are quite a few displaced people, some of them maybe even reaching their breaking point. Be careful out there.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Your right............there are and they are.....many here are mentally tired and worn out and those are the lucky ones.....others have just seen everything they own disappear.... I'm down to carrying one handgun today.....guess I'm feeling a little better.....but things are definately up for grabs here no question.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think I will take your advice and get a chainsaw. I have not needed one to date, but we have a lot of trees, and when there is one on my roof is not the time I want to be realizing I need a chainsaw.
    Walk softly ...

Dang I hope it doesn't get any worse for you. And to think, non-union crews from outside of the area were told to leave.

That's correct........they came to help and were turned away by Politics...non-union companies..while there is real misery and suffering here in NJ. I read today that Long Beach Island is being patroled for curfew by National Guard, NJ State Police, Long Beach Twp. Police, Ocean County Sheriff's Office, the Louisiana State Police and the Florida Fish and Wildlife........all came to help south jersey......god bless them all.

If I had to go nine days without Starbuck's I would load up on the gin and tonic too.

Seriously, thank you for sharing. What great information. I have some shopping to do.

Can we send you anything? I am not sure if a care package would get through but count me in if we can help in any way.

Thanks we're OK here.................just saw a post from the Baykeeper NY / NJ
    Motiva had a tank failure at the height of the Storm Monday evening and Lost 450,000 gals of diesel fuel into the Arthur Kill.........Geeeezzzz.
    I understand Fox News is probably the only News cast handling this world wide.

Thank you for sharing. Be safe. I'm sorry for your loss of Whiskers.

30 or so pole trucks and line crews just pulled into the A&P parking lot at the Atlantic Highlands NJ from.... T&D Solutions from Texas...took them 3 days straight driving.....more help is on the way for those still without power & heat.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    That's correct........they came to help and were turned away by Politics...non-union companies..while there is real misery and suffering here in NJ.
    Amazing, that bureaucrats and unions would still stand on ceremony when people are suffering and dying. Just so long as it's not their people suffering, I suppose.

Sometimes, there's not enough tar and feathers.
    carracer likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

11 days now for people here with no power or heat or lights................I can still hear generators going on the blocks around my street......nights are cold after the Nor'Easter came through Wednesday and few gas stations are open.....NYC starts gas rationing today....we already have it in place in Central & North Jersey for almost a week now.

Sorry about Whiskers. At least he died with the people he loved in this world.

It sounds like you have done well. I bet that your family was glad to see that gun strapped to your side. It is times when we need the most and have the least that require us to protect ourselves.

Never underestimate the lack of true concern that our government can display. And yet...they are still in charge. All the more reason we must prepare and learn to depend on ourselves in dire situations.

Just a few suggestions to those out there looking to be prepared for your turn:

Stove. For survival you are better off obtaining a mountaineering/backpacking type stove. A multi-fuel type is your best bet. Here is a good article; Mountaineering stove efficiency: MSR DragonFly and XGK vs Optimus Nova vs Primus Omnifuel - Mountain Gear Blog

Food. The dried stuff like rice, beans, pasta are always great. The dried backpacking meals are awsome as well(LERPS, MREs, Sea Rations, etc.). But many people overlook the dried prepared meals like hamburger helpers. They are far cheaper and you don't have to add meat.

Power. Forget the batteries. Hand crank or shake em are the best option. I own some that I have had for years and they still work great! Solar isn't bad but you may be in conditions that don't support them when you need them the most.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Honestly, thanks to NOAA we had a few days warning prior to the arrival of that ***** Sandy......it helped in our preparation as I got started mobilizing my supplies immediately and didn't wait as many did thinking it would just be another Blow......but......the realization of having certain items on hand always has begun to hit home today....the ones who didn't take the warnings seriously by our weather people are suffering beyond compare here.....and some just don't have the know how of what to do without someone else doing it for them.....no practical experience other than 9 to 5 and office life......yes my wife felt better knowing we could defend what's our if we needed to........thank God we haven't had to so far.....prepairing for this catastrophic event has taught us much.....living without heat, electric, computers, television for 9 days didn't matter....and now still doesn't......doesn't mean as much to me now as it once did......found out I could live without these luxeries.
    But preparation is everything.......most of all.... so is Common Sense and the realization that the guy next door, your neighbor is no better off maybe even worse than you are. Some neighbors left there homes here and drove distances to stay with relatives in other states.....their choice.....my next door neighbor for instance who has a wife and 2 little girls were so scared in their house the first night without lights or heat ....it was just to much for them.....they had to get their little girls out, they were scared silly.....we watched their home for them.....my neighbor on the other side, people from Pakastan left also....house was dark and abandoned.....so we stuck it out here with a few other neighbors......when we saw one another the next day in our driveways and on the sidewalks.....each told the other, If you need anything, just come over.....everyone was friendly and willing to help one another...But........having the bare necessities on hand is essential before the store shelves go bare.
    It was un nerving for me after ...Hmmm I think it was 4 days going into to a dark store that opened for a few hours....Cash Only....seeing barely nothing on the shelves and buying items I would normally never purchase........Brands, flavors, sizes...things we normally think about didn't matter.........it was just what ever you could get you hands on for my family to use.....purchased 5 small items....2 candy bars, 3 bags of chips and paid $14.00.....didn't matter wether it was the correct price...that's what the guy wanted.....Cash in the dark. We were actually looking for Ice to refill the coolers.........None to be had......that's why dry good items and can goods are so imprtant.....also we couldn't get out very far from the neighborhood do to the amazing amount of downed trees, live wires everywhere and just mass destruction....it was just good to know that our neighbors that stayed were OK..and not injured.

You folks are doing a great job of hanging in there, Triple-X. Nobody has any idea how long it's going to take to return to some semblance of normalcy with so much damage done and so many without power. Hurricane season runs from June to November but most hit in August and September. When we got trashed by Hurricane Fran in 1996 and were without power for two weeks one worry we didn't have was freezing to death. It hit the week after Labor Day, Sept. 5. It was air-conditioning I missed, not heat. And ice? Fuggedaboutit. But cold kills, esp. the elderly, so I hope they get power and heat restored soon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links