MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........ - Page 4

MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

This is a discussion on MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........ within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For everyone reading this who is thinking about storing gasoline (for generators, cars etc...) long term, you will need to add a fuel stabilizer to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

Senior Moderator
    For everyone reading this who is thinking about storing gasoline (for generators, cars etc...) long term, you will need to add a fuel stabilizer to it.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    For everyone reading this who is thinking about storing gasoline (for generators, cars etc...) long term, you will need to add a fuel stabilizer to it.
    +1

I put Stabil in all my storage cans, seasonally stored lawmower / snow thrower, generators.
    After finding out the hard way what happens otherwise :)

Deprecated Browser Error
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

or cycle through your store of gasoline on a regular basis.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I guess real people and real help didn't figure in on the Prez's "red tape" plan. What a load of crap!

xXxplosive, I think you guys did, and are still doing amazingly well. I think it was QK that posted a link to a news interview with people who were for good reason were very distraught over Mother Nature's wrath and were reacting with unrealistic expectations of government and other agencies, wanting them to wave their magic wand and make it all go away. And I think that was on like the 2nd or 3rd day. You guys had the wherewithal to heed warnings, prepare using common sense and have the ability to defend it where many others failed miserably. Again, hats off to you guys and the way you handled it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    For most, long-term storage isn't necessary. Fill your stores a few days before any bad event (and you'll know it's coming) and then feed it to your car once the weather passes. More problems are caused by improper fuel storage. During the hurricanes, a house up the street burnt down. Cause: Placing the running generator and spare fuel right next to the house. Generator ignited the fumes and the rest was predictible.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yup.....a huge problem here was how fast stores were sold out of gas cans......probably quicker than bottled water.....gas cans and generators were gone before anyone thought to get one....the last generators I heard of were selling for 1K each and that was prior to the weekend and Sandy....also heard of some being stolen along with gas cans from the front of peoples homes at night....mostly in driveways.

I remember hearing a request for police at one local Home Depot here....the manager had to go tell the crowd of 1000 people waiting in line in the rain that the generator truck wasn't comming.......believe that was Sunday afternoon before Sandy hit full out.

Saw this interview today on Fox of a fella , a resident of SeaBright, NJ who was finally able to get back to his house or what's left of it to retrieve some personnel affects......I just couldn't believe it when the Fox reporter asked him how he was doing and he said..." I just got into my house to find out I've been robbed. All of my jewlery and wifes personal belongings were robbed"........the town of Sea Bright NJ is decimated.....it was under 12'0 of water and most of it is condemed....they've now set up tent cities in the middle of town and along the entire jersey coast. With an immediate evacuation order some didn't have time to take their possessions with them as the water was rising so quickly there......how could someone rob these poor individuals...?
    Last edited by xXxplosive; November 9th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

xXxplosive..I feel your pain Sir...I went thru Hurricane Hugo here in Sept '89.. He was a Cat IV...14-20 foot storm surge...came ashore at Charleston, SC and settled inland and went up the coast, the eye about 60 miles inland, thru the state...Here in my location, approx 60 miles inland from the shore, the eye passed directly over us... we had 130+ mph winds...Catastrophic damage...It was estimated that Hurricane Hugo spawned over 3,000, yes three thousand tornadoes throughout the state...we were without electricity, etc for 15 days before being restored...

I know what you are experiencing, and the emotions you and your family are going thru...Stay safe Sir..You are doing great...Prayers are with you!!!!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Some folks with kids here in my neighborhood are now 12 days with no power or heat......it's getting ugly.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/...6pLid%3D232944

Hope this works..........check out some of the Pics below the article too.......Incredible.

Troopers deploying to New Jersey from multiple State Police agencies include:
    Pennsylvania State Police - 105
    Maryland State Police – 25
    Mississippi Highway Patrol – 50
    Michigan State Police – 24
    Florida Highway Patrol – 25
    Maine State Police – 15
    Louisiana State Police – 25
    Vermont State Police – 11

Guys from Louisana and Mississippi must think they're on another planet......

A generator is my next purchase. I wonder what it would cost to get one that automatically starts when the power goes out. For me, losing my sump pump in a storm is a concern. We are not in a hurricane area fortunately. I had a battery back up but the batteries don't last.

Distinguished Member
    Wow, what a mess. Sorry you are having to go thru this. Sounds like you prepped fairly well. Hope you get power and gas back soon. I know your beloved pet will be missed too. Recently lost one of my dogs after 13 years with us. Stay vigilant.
    QKShooter likes this.

VIP Member
    Do you have power yet? I hope this nightmare ends soon.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    A generator is my next purchase. I wonder what it would cost to get one that automatically starts when the power goes out. For me, losing my sump pump in a storm is a concern. We are not in a hurricane area fortunately. I had a battery back up but the batteries don't last.
    $$$ Kachiing!!! But not as much as repairing a flooded house, the groceries lost, etc. Depending on the wattage, they can be had for $3000-4000--and up!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Our neighbors......some, still don't have power, still waiting.....we did after 9 days, some were not so lucky. Seeing now the pics of the destruction all through NJ, NY and Conn, we just can't believe our eyes.....my wife and myself are going to Sea Bright NJ tomorrow as registered volunteers to help clean out homes that hve been destroyed.
    Gas in NJ is back to normal today but NY still has Gas Rationing in place. I've been in the process of taking stock of what we have left so we can replenish before the next event.......My old cast iron ware, frying pans, grill and pots were absolutely indespensible for cooking.....you can have my $200.00 a pot Alclad....would never give these up. Also as I mentioned, the King Kooker my kids got me for Christmas.....also indespensable for cooking on in any weather...Still have a pretty good supply of seasoned / dry wood on hand, I'll be splitting more and keeping it under cover. Found I could use a few more Red gas cans and have to restock batteries.....AAA, AA, C & D. Also paper goods, plates, paper towels and cups for the future.
    Also maybe another Coleman lantern......I got mine at Wal-Mart at a good price years ago.

Generators.................are life savers.........Buy One today......along with another bottle of Tangueray.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update! You and your wife are good people to go help the others after what you went through so recently!

Ive taken note of what you consider essential and will be stocking up myself.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links