MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

This is a discussion on MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........ within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet $$$ Kachiing!!! But not as much as repairing a flooded house, the groceries lost, etc. Depending on the wattage, they can ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    $$$ Kachiing!!! But not as much as repairing a flooded house, the groceries lost, etc. Depending on the wattage, they can be had for $3000-4000--and up!

Yikes. I'll look in to a better battery for the sump pump and maybe a portable generator for the house. You are right though, the damage and time spent on the clean up may make it worth the investment.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A decent 5000+ watt portable will run $500 and up. A Honda, while very quiet in comparison to most can hit $1000.

Both the portable and the automatic backup Gens have their advantages and disadvantages. For something like what Sandy caused, the portable is most likely the better option. However, it won't be useable "during" the storm under most cases.

For those in the more remote places where outages are more common, the automatic backup would probably be better. Power will remain on no matter what. You pay extra for the lack of interruption.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links