MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

This is a discussion on MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........ within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Finally..........Back after 9 days without power or heat........Sandy us hit hard here in Central Jersey.....had 4 trees hit the house, lost all power and heat ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

MY SHTF Scenario For 9 Days........

Finally..........Back after 9 days without power or heat........Sandy us hit hard here in Central Jersey.....had 4 trees hit the house, lost all power and heat and had my kitty of 15yrs died in my arms amid Sandy hammering us on Oct 29th at 2:00AM.
    But she's gone now and the wreckage to New Jersey is absolutely staggering.....some still with no power and no homes left...whole towns demolished......gone.....we were lucky here in Somerset County but she hit us hard.
    My Colt Combat Commander in a Miami Classic and my S&W Model 36 IWB on me night and day.......no lights, no power, no heat.......my SHTF Scenario became real.

2. Remove Ads

If you're willing to divulge: what did you prep for sufficiently well; where did your prep fall short?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Best thoughts to you, yours and everyone else trying to get through massive doses of unimaginable.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Glad you guys are ok, and sorry for your loss. Would love to hear your responses to 9mms question as well if you are able. Good luck and stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Welcome back xXxplosive! Sorry about your cat but glad that you made it through. So were you one of those who saw the storm and heard the warnings for about a week and actually did something to prepare? Or were you already well prepared?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Glad you made it ok. My family and got lucky, only 2 days no power/heat. I drove thru Sandy that Monday(29th) coming back from running a tough mudder in SC on Sunday.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Glad you made it out OK and had a good insurance plan handy. As a feline affecionado I feel for your loss.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you're willing to divulge: what did you prep for sufficiently well; where did your prep fall short?
    The prep generally falls short when the roof flies away or trees create new skylights. Easy to prep for loss of utilities, not so for the house being mangled. That's usually time to bug out until the insurance Co comes thru.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hmmmmm.........let me see.....still too early to consider....I'm just played out.
    Hand enough drinking water on hand......stored some in coolers on saturday and had cases of bottles water at the ready as there are 5 in my family. Purchased large bags of charcoal for the grill on Saturday before the stores here were sold out and as I figured there would be no power and no stove.....I was right.....also dried hard seasoned firewood was a real aid in cooking meals for 9 days, don't think we could have done the cooking without it.....the dry wood was extremely important to me.....had a good supply in dry storage.......can goods like soups and tomato sauce were important and easy to heat up. Also, I cooked / prepaired 4 main course dishes on saturday before Sandy hit Monday night and had them all refrigerated.....we ate those first before power went out and lost refrigeration.....also had 3 large coolers loaded with Ice i got on Sunday from our local liquor store along with a bottle of Tanqueray Gin and Schwepps Tonic water....figured the ice might come in handy....it did.....Had plenty of batteries I had storred for flashlights and radios...... I thought.....not really.....you need a lot of batteries to keep things going for 9 days....trust me......if you think you have enough C and D Cells......you don't...get more.
    Well food started getting low after the 6th day......was able to get out to a store that opened that was only taking cash and picked up a few items...looking through the barren shelves in the dark with no lights was an earie feeling....dried foods like maccaroni and spagehtti were important as I could cook them with water in a pot and heat up canned tomatoe sauce...most everything was sold out by the time I found out they were going to open for a few hours......Geeweezzzz...I just don't know.....the house was cold in the evening and then Whiskers passed due to the low night temps and his age.....he just couldn't maintain his core temp. even though I had him wrapped in blankets....he just went to sleep peacefully.....we burried him Tuesday Night under our Pear Tree in the yard and made a makeshift marker which I will make a permanent one once the mud starts to dry a bit.... Sandy hurt many here.....we were lucky and I tried to prepair for here arrival best I could....I tired and worn out but we're OK.......Oh, being armed was a necessity.....at night it was dark with all the power out her in all the houses and no phone service....No jokin'...I wore 2 hand guns night and day and had long guns at the ready.....my family really pitched in and sucked it up for the 9 days.......didn't see the election last evening and didn't get the results untill this morning............Geeeezzzzz.
    If I can think of more, I post.......gonna get some sleep I think.
    mprp, mano3, Jeanlouise and 2 others like this.

Thanks for sharing. Quite a story and it sounds like you did very well and even thought ahead a little. Hats off to you.
    mano3 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about you home and your cat. The wife and I have 8 cats and I know how it hurts to lose one. Glad you made it through. The house can be replaced, friends and loved ones can't. Keep us updated. Stay safe.

Prayers going out for you and your family Sir...soooo sorry for the loss of your Pet...Glad you and your family are safe...

Hope this site can give you some comfort in the loss of "Whiskers".. Rainbow Bridge Home Page, Pet Loss Support, Pet Memorials, Monday Candle Service, The Rainbow Bridge Poem
    Cory1022 and mano3 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Glad you and your family made it through safely. Sorry about the 4 legged member not making it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ok.......I'm back.......got some rest......obviously, IMO, non-perishable foods are a must.....pastas, rice, potatoes, canned goods, lipton's soup mix...all that can be made or cooked utilizing water was very important to us.....having ice on hand in coolers, we were able to at least keep perishable foods like meat, eggs, milk, butter for a few days. Also oil was important as we could use it to cook in frying pans on the grill and didn't need refrigeration. My sons bought me a King Kooker for last Christmas......it's basicallly a iron stand with a propane attachment....we used it for boiling water and tea....I would reccomend this to anyone and it probably is the best Christmas present I ever got......so useful.....other than that....staying warm, maintaining body heat and keeping busy....split wood, keeping things clean and prepairing food....not use to no luxuries of life or 9 days in the dark....Oh......our toilets did flush, but I had 5 gal. containers of non-potable water to fill the tanks if need be to flush'em...
    Hmmm.......I can say now....having some items are deffinately more important than others....wore the same cloths for a few days as we had no washing machines or dryers....smelled like smoke for days from cooking over the wood fire.....also learned you can't depend on rechargeable batteries, lights, radios etc. they have no life in an emergency situation.....best was the hand crank radio we have for emergencies....uses no batteries or power.

We are now experiencing a Nor'Easter here as I'm posting this with an expected 6" of heavy wet snow.....weak trees and power lines could possibly go down again...the Linemen working here to restore power are from Michigan and crews from Missouri....thanks to them we have heat and electric tonight during this storm....

I'll be back...........

Administrator
    Yes, you are going to get hit yet again with some snow and some wind. Unreal.
    I hope that you were able to at least "stock up" a bit again.

Sorry to hear about your pet. That sure had to be really rough on top of everything else.

Yes, I have learned that flour does not store very well but, pasta keeps forever. Bless those Italians.

Crackers store well also so Jams and Fruit Preserves and Peanut Butter are GREAT to have on hand also.

Peanut butter and jelly on crackers can keep you alive.

Glad that you seem to be surviving OK with some good old fashioned Pioneer Spirit.
    pgrass101 and mano3 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links