An old war horse

An old war horse

This is a discussion on An old war horse within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's with a heavy heart that I post these pics. This is of an ancient Colt 1911 that has been stripped of its monetary value, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: An old war horse

VIP Member

An old war horse

It's with a heavy heart that I post these pics. This is of an ancient Colt 1911 that has been stripped of its monetary value, but steeped in sentimental value.
    I don't know its original owner and history, but at some point it came into my grandfather's possession. My dad recalls from his childhood that it was used on several
    occasions to rescue my aunt from her drunken husband. It was later stolen, but found by the Hampton Sheriff with the serial numbers ground off. The sheriff
    somehow recognized it to be my grandfather's, and pulled some strings to have it re-stamped and registered back to him.

My uncle inherited it, and had a friend who owed him money that couldn't be repaid, but offered to nickle plate it for him instead. So sadly, the job
    was done. 'Not a bad job on the plating, btw, but some great history was lost there.

My uncle passed it on to my Dad, who used it to protect himself and my mom in their golden years. On 10/24/12 at 7:45am, my Dad passed away, and now it is mine.
    The barrel is shot out, the grips are plastic, and the screws in the grips don't match. There's also a dent in the dust cover. It certainly has its battle
    scars from such a long life, but also still shoots every time that it is required to. Given the modifications that it has already received over the years, I'm thinking
    about putting on some double-diamond walnut grips, and having a qualified gun smith go through it and and replace/fit the barrel, hammer out the dent if possible,
    and tune it up so that it's a shooter again.

I present to you, our battered but faithful family heirloom.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WHEC724; November 8th, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
    rigel42 likes this.

VIP Member
    That is a priceless heirloom, for sure. Great history to it. I hope you write that down for your kids so they'll know, and remember, too.

I'm very sorry that you lost your Father.
    WHEC724 and Eagleks like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, get a set of wood grips and new screws. Give the old sentry a few more years of honor and respect.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorry to hear about your loss. Love the gun.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

OD*
    That is an oldie.

Condolences on the loss of your father.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NMB
    My Condolences.

Thank you for sharing. Nothing is more valuable than a family heirloom.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Give you my condolences on the loss of your father. Please pass this wonderful story to your children so it can be passes on to theirs. What a wonderful thing to have in your family.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Senior Moderator
    Sorry about the loss of your father, but having the gun service and extending its lifespan a for another century would be a fine tribute to your family
    WHEC724 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

mkh
    Great piece of family history.

I have an old top break pistol in .38 that my grandfather passed to my dad then on to me when he died in 1980. I decided to leave it just the way it was when I inherited it. It stays in my safe and will probably never be fired again. But it has family history and that means a lot to me.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Sorry to hear about your father. He has passed you a slice of history. Glad to hear you're thinking about some restoration.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'm sorry to hear about your father, and the way that you came into getting such a wonderful piece of family history. But, I'm glad the legacy can keep going.

Personally, I would just get a replacement barrel and grips. Keep the originals. Don't change the look of the gun, just improve the functionality.

Mint condition is great, but well used and well loved is always better.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Condolences on the loss of your father.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts and prayers are sent to you and your family.
    TC
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss. Often the material things help us to hold onto the memories and make it thru the grieving process. What a great heirloom to have.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    My condolences on the passing of your father. But nice pistol I might even have it encased and with the story off to the side to detail its history.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links