Had To Let My Dog Go Today

This is a discussion on Had To Let My Dog Go Today within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Maya may have been wrong about the end of the world, but they hit the mark on my old dog. You see, she was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Had To Let My Dog Go Today

Had To Let My Dog Go Today

The Maya may have been wrong about the end of the world, but they hit the mark on my old dog.

You see, she was about 16 years old and was actually my wife's dog. When we got married and she moved from Illinois, the dog came with her. Until recently the dog had been in good shape. In the Summer of 2010 we went camping and she was along for the ride and just great but after that is when she began to slowly go down hill.

We had to put down puppy pads for her, give her incontinence meds, and other stuff.

Then December 9th we had a burglary and she was home. Don't know if the thug in the house did something to her or she was just traumatized, or coincidence but she seemed to have a stroke of some type, she started going around in circles, her hindquarters was weak and she seemed confused.

I had her to the Vet and she seemed ok internally, blood and chemistry was fairly normal for a dog her age.

Then early in the morning (Dec. 21) she was up and rambling about the house. I came down stairs and she had messed all over so I cleaned it up, she wanted outside but could barely walk so I helped her out. She never got off the back porch. I stayed downstairs with her after I got her in and calmed down, we slept on the couch.

She just kept getting worse, going to the left in circles, flopping down and just miserable, so called the Vet, called the wife and she came home and we took her there. The Vet looked her over and said, "I think you know what's best for the dog."

We were with her when they gave her the shot to let her go.

Her name is Smore. She was a mixed breed dog and I am already missing her something firece. I know it had to be done but I hated to do it.

We brought her home and my Dad and I buried her in my yard.

Here is one of the two photos I took of her about an hour before we had to take that last journey.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Maximpactguns likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

JoJo, so sorry to hear. Take comfort in knowing that you did the right thing, and you honored her by being with her at the very end.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    So sorry to hear this...

It sounds like you did the best you could for her. You can usually tell a lot about a mans character by how he treats animals.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm so sorry that you had to do it. I know the pain of having to say goodbye to such a loving companion and nothing helps but time. I pray that you and your wife will be comforted during this time.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    My condolences. I teared up when I saw your post and read it. I can't imagine what it will be like when ours finally go. It shouldn't happen for quite a while but it will happen at some point. I pray that you will be able to remember the good times and let the bad memories, like today, fade. But it will definitely take time.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    JoJo, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Taking a beloved companion to the vet on the trip of no return is one of the hardest things one can ever do.

Sorry to here of your loss, I know how badly it hurts... She will be waitig for you at Rainbow Bridge.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    I have been down that same road before. It is just one of the toughest and most heart breaking things to go through.
    My condolences.
    Our best friends sadly do have a shorter natural life span than humans.
    All we can ever do is give them a great and happy home filled with much love and affection while they are here with us.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Very sorry to hear this, I'm sure you'll see her again some day.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

RAL
    I am so sorry for your loss. You have had a lot of those lately. I'm glad she had you and you had her to the very end. Remember and dwell on the good times as I am sure there were many.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Sorry to hear. The most I've ever cried in my life was when I had to put my yellow lab down that I'd had from the time she was 6 months old. She was 12, I was 36. I'm 48 now. Reading your post brought a wave of memories crashing back. Time will help, but you'll never forget her. Think about all of the funny things she did, and also the annoying things (which will probably now make you smile when you think about them).

Your did the right thing, but poor doggy. At least she lived a great life with great owners. May she rest in peace.

i'm so sorry for you guys
    we're facing letting go of our 15 year old that we've had since a pup
    it hurts
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Sad news JoJo. It's never an easy decision but it was the right decision.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    JoJo, so sorry to hear. Take comfort in knowing that you did the right thing, and you honored her by being with her at the very end.

^^^I'm in smitty's camp on this one..^^^^^^^
    16 years is a VERY long time for a dog, and it was the best thing to do for Smore.
    Treasure the memories.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links