What do you collect, other than guns?

This is a discussion on What do you collect, other than guns? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Me, I have a rather eclectic collection of antiques. I have a little bit of everything from the 1800s-1940s, and my house looks like some ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: What do you collect, other than guns?

VIP Member

Me, I have a rather eclectic collection of antiques. I have a little bit of everything from the 1800s-1940s, and my house looks like some mad interior designer lives in it. I'm a third generation antique lover. It started with my paternal grandparents, who were sharecroppers and didn't have much growing up (sod roof house, anyone?). The USAF provided good income, and by the time my grandparents passed on, they had bought an Antebellum house that was condemned, restored it to its original glory, and filled it with Victorian antiques. Grandma did the whole nine yards at Christmas with Victorian everything, down to every ornament on the tree.

I like the quality, beauty and history of antiques. I use an apple peeler dated 1877 and have a working console radio from the 1930s.

I've been slowly replacing the modern light fixtures in my house with vintage ones, from art deco chandeliers to oil lamps for non-electric lighting.

lighting.jpg

The first one was my grandmother's - she bought it for $8 in a yard sale, and I can say it was recently appraised for much higher. The second was my find. I bought it for $25. I restored the paint job and my husband redid the wiring. I saw the exact same model selling for over $500 in a lighting/restoration website. The oil lamp was in a sorry state when I found it, I think I paid $35 for it. It's French, the base is pewter and malachite, and the font is blown glass. It polished up beautifully, I found the proper chimney, and I had to get an adapter to get a shade to fit it. The last one I dragged out of a box of junk for $10. I love the hunt and the find. I can find these on eBay, but that just destroys the fun.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

hand planes for woodworking
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I collect Knives, Nascar stuff, and anything RC plane related.
    Rock and Glock and CLASS3NH like this.

Pepsi memorabilia... Bottles dating back to 1906 but my favorite are the cartoon glasses that Pepsi sponsored back in the 1970's. Also old Pepsi clocks, Pepsi signs, Pepsi coolers. Pic of just one of the 2 bookcases full of bottles and glasses, a cooler and a clock

Pepsi1.jpgIMG_0258.jpgPepsi_Clock.jpg
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

knives
    so, about my sammich.......

Antiquarian books, coins, furniture (with Mrs. bmcgilvray), wristwatches. Love old cars of all types but don't currently have one. One odd tangent is pea whistles. Within the past two years Gillette double-edged razors. Even the house predates 1897. At least it was already in existence on the 1897 city survey.

"I use an apple peeler dated 1877 and have a working console radio from the 1930s."

We use a biscuit cutter that's been in my family for over 100 years and have my grandparents' working 1949 Admiral television. When I was a kid I watched the Dallas/Green Bay "ice bowl" on that TV in 1967 and also coverage of Apollo 11 in 1969.

Edited to add accordians, seen here sitting on a 1909 Kohler & Campbell piano which is still played.

Fun thread!
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; January 26th, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Add photo
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I collect vintage fountain pens, primarily Parkers (1930s-1960s), classical guitars and watches, but the guitars are my passion.
    179338_1699947551275_4556610_n.jpg397367_2919080868846_1248867448_n.jpg417778_2919078188779_77859522_n.jpg
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I collect toothpick holders and fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Dust
    jbum, CLASS3NH and Taurahe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I collect vintage fountain pens, primarily Parkers (1930s-1960s), classical guitars and watches, but the guitars are my passion.
    179338_1699947551275_4556610_n.jpg397367_2919080868846_1248867448_n.jpg417778_2919078188779_77859522_n.jpg
    Wow! NICE collection of pens!
    boricua likes this.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Tool of all sorts - planes, chisels, gouges, etc.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I enjoy small collections of knives and flashlights (only three titaniums) and nothing custom. Fun to browse the collections-with "if money was no object" theme I sure could get into the pen/fountain pen area!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I collect knives, starting with some from the European Theater from my Dad, but mainly contemporary, kind of a "hit and miss" old tool collection.

My wife has collected Salt Cellars (even though a Salt Shaker is hardly anywhere to be found in the house); and a few antiques.

Fun thread!
    bmcgilvray and CLASS3NH like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I've often thought of diving into knives as well, being very interested and having small, unfocused collection, but one has to stop somewhere.

"I have a little bit of everything from the 1800s-1940s, and my house looks like some mad interior designer lives in it."

Betty's description fits our house perfectly.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

having small, unfocused collection
    That's kind of where I excel.

Old tools can be much better than "modern" tools - better steel, better design and form.
    suntzu and CLASS3NH like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links