3AM bug-in

3AM bug-in

This is a discussion on 3AM bug-in within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We all had to go under the house to our tornado shelter at 3am this morning. Everything fine, no tornado that touched down, still no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 3AM bug-in

VIP Member

Unhappy 3AM bug-in

We all had to go under the house to our tornado shelter at 3am this morning. Everything fine, no tornado that touched down, still no power.

Not happy with the bug-in execution at all; I'm typing on my iPhone and will give all the details later.

What I saw in the sky I don't ever want to see again. The wind started hitting and I looked outside and it was quite hazy with all the rain, but the sky flicked on and stayed on a pale green color, then turned off and came back on a whitish blue. It did it again like there was a disco dance floor up there and That's when my adrenaline kicked in and my whole body got wobbly and we went upstairs to grab the kids. I know it was lighting, but there was no thunder and it didn't flicker like
    Lightning normally does. I remember a man recounting a story of what the sky looked like right before a tornado hit, and it matched what I saw. Freakiest thing I ever saw and I've never been that scared before in my life.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

hope yall made it through ok up there. been hearing that nashville got hit hard. luckily down here we just had strong winds and lots of rain. but ive been through the tornados (4/27) so i know what you went/going through. be safe!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Glad you all are safe! I've seen the green sky a couple times, but never turning on and off like you described. Intense!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

But did the ants start dancing?

One of the old timers I knew many years ago told me that when the sky turns green and the ants start dancing, watch out because really bad weather stuff is coming.

Never saw the ants dance, but have seen the green sky, and the ensuing tornado too many times.

PS - Glad to hear you sound okay. Stay safe! Mother Nature is not to be messed with!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Re: 3AM bug-in

Glad to hear all is OK.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Stay Calm.......Stay Safe.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Glad youre safe. My daughter is a student at the University of Ky and they said the same thing

Hopefully you have remained safe through these storms.

Having grown up in IL. I too have seen the green sky and the ensuing tornados. It is probably one of the most frightening things I have ever experienced!

Seeing that green hue in the sky is spooky-scary thing..... especially when you know what comes next.......

Glad all's good with you and yours!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Eerie colors are the final warning sign, short of the "freight train" cacophony that often comes down as one's approaching. Have had a couple come nearby, recently.

Last night, there was a reasonable threat of them, and the city sirens went off a few times. Stayed up monitoring.

Emergency/BiB -- critical medicines, first-aid kit, water.
    Quickie clothes, shoes and jacket to toss on, nearby.
    Flashlight, cell phone w/ spare battery (all charged up and ready to roll).

You never know.

I hate 'em. Give me earthquakes every time.
    Betty and BigJon10125 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'll bet that same front passed through here about 11 pm last night. Our weather radio kept coming on to give us alerts about thunderstorm warning, tornado watch, possible 60 mph winds. It passed, we're much cooler, and nothing serious happened.

I know what you mean about that green sky........scary sign!
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Power is back on, yay.

Anyhow, after I saw the crazy disco dance floor in the sky and I turned into shaking rubber, I knew we had to boogie under the house. And then the power went out. The following are all the pluses and minuses for our bug-in that went wrong.

-1 = Streamlight Scorpion died. The batteries are fine. The flashlight just chose that moment to die. My brain was too slow to think of alt lights. I eventually ended up with one in my hands. The lights have moved all over the house because my son finds them and thinks they are great toys. So now sometimes I can't find them, and my husband has no clue where they are. Note to self: put them out of his reach except for a couple special ones just for him to play with.

+1 = Going up the stairs in the dark on all fours like a doggie.

-10 = Not relaying the info to my husband verbally that we should evacuate. Not sure why I didn't, I think part of it was the adrenaline combined with the sudden awakening. But he heard me go up the stairs. I grabbed our baby girl, my husband grabbed our 3-year-old son.

+1 = Always making sure the floor is clear of obstructions (toys and whatnot) before shutting down for the night. I sometimes wander the house at night for a glass of water or to check on the kids, and I don't want to step on a Lego or trip on something.

-1 = Not having my phone on my side of the nightstand. It was being charged on my husband's side. Under the house, we were able to look up the weather maps for updates and still have communication with the outside world.
    +1 = Handheld NOAA weather radio.

-10 = We have a lot of tornado warnings around here, most are nothing more than hard storms. But you never know when one's got your name on it. We knew this storm was coming, and I should've been already awake and watching the weather reports. We usually are. But not this time. While I'm normally a light sleeper and would've woken at the beginning of the rain, I didn't this time because I was fatigued. I relied on my ability to wake up in good time. Note to self - set alarm on phone next time. We usually have the kids already downstairs if it looks like it's going to get hairy.

-1 = In the room where our trapdoor is, I have a headlamp I keep in a small drawer. I dug around in the blackness and couldn't find it. There was a couple other items in there. This morning I checked, and it was there. My hand was on it and didn't recognize the little velcro pouch it was in, even though this was my hiking/camping light and I've felt it up hundreds of times. Note to self - empty that drawer except for that light, and keep the light out of the pouch.

+10 = Stocked shelter area with lights, blankets, snacks, toys, first aid kit and bottled water. We weren't down in there long enough to utilize any of it, but it was nice to know it was there.
    -1 = need more 5 gallon buckets under there. They make great stools and potties.

If there was a tornado, I think it would've been disastrous because we were too fumbling slow. I give us a FAIL.

This morning I ordered a dozen wall-mounted LED push lights (like the Sylvania Dot-It). They are going by the light switches. I had my hands full of baby and needed the extra hand to navigate down the steep trapdoor stairs. In fact, I'm seriously contemplating replacing those stairs with a twisty kiddie slide. I already have a couple going down the trapdoor stairs and in the crawlspace area leading to the shelter.

I also have a few hand-crank style flashlights on the way to replace the battery operated lanterns in the shelter.
    Last edited by Betty; January 30th, 2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: model name of Streamlight corrected
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    I've seen the green sky and following tornadoes our house was hit in April of 1974 by a tornado, I was 3 and can still remember it distinctly.

Good review, I got my sons the Garrity hand cranked lights so they don't run the batteries down in our other ones, plus we have a few extra.

We don't have an underground shelter just a reenforced closet that will not help if we get a direct hit and the house is lifted off the ground.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    We built a floor trapdoor in our dining room that goes into our crawlspace. Our house is on a slope, so around half of the crawlspace is standing height. Our front porch is reinforced concrete, and up under the house that porch forms a mini bunker with walls on 3.5 sides. Safest place is there, but we have plans to add to it. I just came up from there, going through the supplies again and restocking.

I'm pretty appalled at my slowness and wandering around to find a flashlight.

Text fixed in previous post; it was a Streamlight Scorpion, not a Stylus.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Hey Betty, that storm is heading our way now. The winds are gusting at about 25 mph.

I think we're ready for it. I just need to secure a few things on the deck.

We'll probably lose power, but not expecting too much damage... I hope.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links