the Seven Year Non-Itch

This is a discussion on the Seven Year Non-Itch within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today is our 7th anniversary, and the thread in the OT forum about the couple in the over-the-top Disney-theme wedding got me reminiscing. My mother ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: the Seven Year Non-Itch

VIP Member

the Seven Year Non-Itch

Today is our 7th anniversary, and the thread in the OT forum about the couple in the over-the-top Disney-theme wedding got me reminiscing.

My mother didn't like my wedding dress and told me to reconsider it because she was sure my husband wouldn't like it, either. I wore a custom made ao dai, which is Vietnamese traditional (my mother wore one for her wedding). I didn't like any traditional style gowns, so I decided to explore my ethnic roots. The Vietnamese in-law of my boss at the time was a tailor and she put her heart and soul into making it for me, hand stitching all the beads on it. I was in TN and she was in TX, and so I had to do all my own measurements and send them to her. I told her the color, she did the rest. I had no idea what the fabric pattern was even going to be. She and her cousins had a whole bolt of silk shipped from Viet Nam, because none of the local shops had anything proper, and they were very particular.

One day I get a shoe box in the mail, and it had a rough trip. A big hole was gouged in it, and I freaked when I saw the return label. My dress! I thought for sure it was ruined, but it was not, and it was amazing and perfect.

My mother-in-law (she passed away in August after a long battle with cancer, rest her beautiful soul) and I had a prank to play on my husband. I hid the real dress in my suitcase on the way to the wedding, while she had bought a cheap wedding dress at a yard sale. It was the biggest, puffiest, frou-frou, most awful thing you've ever seen. She put it in a garment bag that wouldn't zip up properly, so my husband saw this thing being wheeled past, endless tulle streaming everywhere.

Why my mother didn't want me to wear a traditional Vietnamese dress I still don't know, but I can say she can just stick it, because today is our 7th anniversary and we're still as happy as can be. My husband wished I told him what I was doing with my dress instead of keeping it a surprise, because he would've also gone traditional and wore a kilt. (He's also of Dutch ancestry, but clogs would've not been as glamorous).

Here's a couple photos. That's my brother letting the groom know that he'd better treat his little sister well. And that's my mom with the handful of Polaroids (remember those!).

bigbrother.jpgwedding.jpg
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

I think it looks great, and I don't usually comment about wedding dresses.
    Rock and Glock and atctimmy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Awesome story and dress! Thanks for sharing and happy anniversary!

JD
    Administrator

Re: the Seven Year Non-Itch

It's creepy how much our families are on pace together.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Very nice dress. I see at least 3 a weekend (I DJ weddings) and I am often amazed at how elegant simplicity can be. Congrats on 7 years. Wishing you many more. My 7 yr is also this year, I think, wait 6 or 7 hhhmmm.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    Nice dress Betty
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great story!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pushing 41 years here, and the M-in-L still doesn't like me (putting it mildly!).

That style dress brings back long-ago memories. Very nice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Congratulations, your dress brings back memories for me also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Beautiful.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    I have another photo somewhere of me dressed as Viet Cong for Halloween; I'm sure THAT will bring some memories for some of you guys, too.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Be careful it doesn't bring back any flashbacks!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Meh - you're still newlyweds! 20 years for us...and counting.

Thanks for sharing the story - the dress is beautiful!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Very pretty dress. Congratulations on 7 years! and wishing you many more. We are at 20 this year. My MIL & I get along great, (it is my wife's MIL that aggravates both of us though).

Very nice! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links