I'm kind of proud of this.....a little bragging

This is a discussion on I'm kind of proud of this.....a little bragging within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Way to go. I'm proud of you. You gotta stay in shape becuase you never know what tomorrow holds and you may need to be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm kind of proud of this.....a little bragging

Thumbs up

Way to go. I'm proud of you.

You gotta stay in shape becuase you never know what tomorrow holds and you may need to be physically strong to survive it. I always try to remain fighting fit. I have been out of the corps for 12 years and let myself go for about the first couple years of marriage. Then I decided to get back in shape. I bought a book called "You can do a triathlon in 90 days" or something like that.

I trained for 3 months and did one. It was tough but rewarding. Since then I don't have time to swim, but still bike and run (mostly run), and do crunches, push ups and pullups. If you can't run because of your knees, walking 3 miles burns the same calories as running, just takes longer.

Anyway, my goal now is to stay "fighting fit" so I keep in good enough shape to pass the USMC PFT for my age group (currently 36) and test myself once a year.

My wife does it too, for the female PFT and she was never in the marines
    Last edited by sgtD; October 29th, 2006 at 12:39 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I have to say that you've got me beat. I've only dropped 20 pounds in the past four months. To drop 75 pounds in a pretty short period of time is really impressive. I'm still proud of myself though.

Congrat's PT, and now go treat yourself to a "Pedicure"!! Hey, I'll admit...... I take them, and they feel great afterwards.. I aint no SISSY either, ha.. Although, I refuse to have them painted, ha ha..

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Sounds wonderful -- how did you do it???

Keep at it. It will come off and you will feel and be better off.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Great news, Mike. I have't dropped quite that much. I have taken off some pounds. I bought new belts three times since April. I started off with a 38 and got to where it was loose in the last hole unless I had a IWB on. So I bought a 36. Now it is in the last hole. My third one was a Liger gun belt and I deliberately bought it 2 inches shorter than they recommended. I started off in the first hole and have now progressed to the second. If I keep this us I will get my true waist size back down below 36".

The other thing that I did between August of '05 and August '06 was to reduce my cholesterol from over 300 to 159 without using drugs. I eat about 20 to 25 almonds each day. I don't eat fatty snack foods. If I snack it will be almonds. The AMA came out with a report that about 14 almonds per day could reduce your cholesterol by over 20%. I started eating them in April and cut out the other snacks and by August I had cut my cholesterol by 50%.

I feel much better to. My goal is to get back to 175 lbs. My highest was 195. I am at about 187 right now. I have taken it slow and most just pushed away from the table. I have reduced the intake of certain foods and removed sweet tea from my diet altogether. In the South that is hard. I walk for 20 to 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week at a good brisk pace. It works. Besides loosing the weight, now I can walk across campus at the college without sounding like a freight train.

Keep up your good work and keep us informed as to your progress.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

congrats ! I hope to start soon....
    BTW...I got a leg that weighs that much !...LOL (sad actually)

Administrator

Thumbs up WOW!

You Really DID IT!
    Congratulations!
    Fantastic. I hope that others will follow in your footsteps...that would be your now dainty footsteps that do not sink nearly as deep in the mud as they once did.

You should feel totally proud of yourself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Great job!!!!!
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Congrats! Good for you.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Congrats, I've got to start some type of diet. The new gunbelt I bought a month or so ago is now almost too tight on the first hole.

VIP Member
    Congrats!

I've dropped 20 Lbs. since late February myself, so I know the sense of accomplishment and pride in achieving this feat.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. I started this thread because I am really proud of what I have done so far. When I started, I wasn't sure if I would be able to do this but it hasn't been as hard as I expected. It really just came down to being willing to make a real life change. I don't look at food the same way as I did this time last year. Now everything has a calorie count that I check. Every thing I eat is another possible pound that I want to keep off.

I eat good food. Lots of veggies, whole grains and fiber, I drink tons of water, and I work my butt off on the eliptical trainer every night. My daily caloric intake is about 1600 calories a day and I burn 2000 calories a night on the eliptical. That does not count the calories I burn dueing the day at work walking up and down those bloody stairs as we have no elevator in our building. And really, that is the best way to lose weight, burn more calories than you take in every day.

Another 25 or 30 pounds and I will be where I want to be and then I switch to a maintenance workout. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again guys! I am planning to update my Avatar in the next few days because I just don't look like that anymore.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Great job PT! Now i'm motivated to get my 240 self to gym. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links