I'm kind of proud of this.....a little bragging

This is a discussion on I'm kind of proud of this.....a little bragging within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted a thread a few months ago about my current quest to lose weight and get my sorry butt in shape. Well, I just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I posted a thread a few months ago about my current quest to lose weight and get my sorry butt in shape.

Well, I just wanted to toss out a little update. When this whole thing started, after I was told by my Doctor that I was diabetic, I weighed in at 265 pounds. As of this morning (actually yesterday morning, Saturday morning) I tipped the scales at 190 pounds. I have gone from a size 42 pants size to a size 36. I have had to buy all new clothes. I put on one of my size 3XL T-shirts the other day to do some yard work in and it looked like I was trying to wear a tent. I had to change the shirt as it kepts getting in my way, there was just too much fabric hanging off me.

I feel better than I have for years. My knees (both rebuilt after a ship board accident in 1992 while in the US Navy) do not hurt anymore. I sleep better. I have tons more energy. My mind if clearer and my mental focus is as good as when I was 25. (I'm 38 now) My back doesn't hurt when I get up in the morning. Everything is better. Everything...if you get my meaning.
    I can conceal my gun MUCH better than I could when I was heavy.

All I can say to anyone out there who is wishing they could lose weight, go for it. No pill or fad diet is going to do it for you. I tried those, they are crap. I have done this by simply eating much better, and less than I was before, excercising my butt off and lifting weights. My ultimate goal is 165 pounds. That would put me at 100 total pounds lost. I am just 25 pounds away from that now.

It is surprising how much better able I am to protect myself and my family now. I encourage anyone out there who needs it to get into shape. It is a life altering experience.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; January 4th, 2007 at 08:55 PM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congratulations!

In high school I went from a bulky 280 lbs to a slim 180. It was truly a life shaping experience as you noted.

Since I've gone into college I've let myself slip a little and need to get back on the ol' mountain bike to take some of it off, but between work, school, and making time for shooting it's just not easy!

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Great effort!

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    When this whole thing started, after I was told by my Doctor that I was diabetic, I weighed in at 165 pounds.
    Was that 265? If so, awesome job! Definitely an occasion to 'stay the course'!
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

VIP Member
    Ok, good work!

Congrats on the Loss...Healthy Choice...

What is the starting weight you state in the thread?
    Nothing feels better than losing a 'ton' of weight...the energy seems to really increase...and one doesn't have to hold his breath to put on socks anymore.
    New clothes?
    Most closets are arranged Summer...Fall...Winter, mine is 230#'s, 210#'s, and 190#'s(my current wardrobe).
    I've been way up there too, but the last bout of kidney surgery trimmed my weight right down...I wouldn't recommend that diet to any one!

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

PT-111
    One thing I have found that keeps me motivated is keeping a journal of all my workouts. It is really encouraging when you can look back and see your progress over the course of a few months. Keep up the great work!!!!

Lead Moderator
    Congrats!

I know the feeling, I dropped about 60 pounds a couple years ago. Sometimes the other trick is keeping it off! Keep up the good work.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent results and kudos for sticking it out - now to maintain that too. You are obviously and deservedly well pleased

I am ever so fortunate, that my weight has been very self-limiting overall - sure I have a bit of extra 'real estate' anteriorly but I still have, even without work-outs, some muscle definition remaining.

Muscle weighs heavier than fat so my current weight of around 200#- 205# stays pretty stable even tho I eat pretty well. From age 18 or so right thru until late 40's I guess I was always about 175#.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

congrats

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Good for you!
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Lead Moderator
    Great job. Quality of life improves as your fitness/heath gets better for sure.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Very nice! that is an amazing difference for sure. 75 lbs gone! way to go PT.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Way to go Pt-111!!!
    Soon you will be in the streets.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

That's awesome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links