What do you see...

This is a discussion on What do you see... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are younger men and women on this board who will never see what I and a few others have seen. This is just a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What do you see...

What do you see...

There are younger men and women on this board who will never see what I and a few others have seen. This is just a glimpse of what was.

A man's word is his honor.
    House's were never locked.
    Everyone was up before dawn doing chores and then they went to work all day in the fields.
    Neighbors banded together to harvest and plant.
    You borrowed a tool and you returned it.
    You butchered in the fall.
    You calved in the spring.
    The Sheriff would stop by for coffee and share the news.
    The county commissioner was your neighbor and you could talk to him.
    You went to church on Sunday.
    Ice cream socials.
    Everyone had a gun.
    Everyone hunted.
    You had your first job before you were 10 years old and you also went to school.
    You said, "Yes Sir" and "No Mam".
    The Doc would visit the house.
    You took care of the old and sick and they died at home surrounded by family and you also dug their grave.
    You sat at the feet of men and learned how to be a man.
    A gun guarded our animals long before it protected us from you.

There was no welfare. You took care of each other.
    There was no crime. You needed your neighbors.
    There was no un-employment. There was always more work than could be done.
    There was no hunger. The earth and animals provided abundance.

Freedom came with a price. You worked hard and died young. Today, very few are willing to accept responsibility for freedom.

This was 1948 and I was 5 years old. It would be some time before I lost the age of innocence…and also realized that we had lost our moral compass. My grandfather and his father knew long before me.

The only thing that survived is that I still need my gun to protect myself from you and now they want to take this from me.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Although my eyes were only 10 yrs different from yours, it was just the same in my young years. We lived by the same set of morals, ethics and integrity.

My father, rest his soul, always said: "Son, the only thing you will be remembered for is your word". I never knew what that meant until I got older. He was right.
    oldnfat likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Seem like so long ago....

AMEN to that !!!
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The past for most people. There are still isolated pockets where you can leave you door unlocked, but you have to be away from the mainstream.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I miss the neighborhood where I grew up, where every mom on the street thought she was my mother and took care of me as such. I miss all the kids playing Red Rover under the streetlights late at night, drawing Hopscotch squares on the street in chalk, playing ball in the vacant lot next door. I miss the gang gathering at the lake to try to shoot dragonflies on the wing with our Daisy BB guns.

I will never miss computers, Cell phones, and gameboys. I miss my frends, not the toys.

Thanks for the post, OP. Good one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

And if you did something stupid and a neighborhood mom saw you, she would punish you and your mom would take her side.
    The OP has me by a couple of years. Yep. I do remember what it used to be like.
    phreddy likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Old enough to have seen that America for myself..... I miss her!

just great, now im jealous of older people.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I know those times...they shall never return!:noon:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...I've done my best to teach the values we were raised by to my boys...I see them struggling to live by them...in a world that's thrown them away...especially in our "leadership"...if you see one of those good men described above...shake his hand and buy him a cuppa...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I miss the neighborhood where I grew up, where every mom on the street thought she was my mother and took care of me as such. I miss all the kids playing Red Rover under the streetlights late at night, drawing Hopscotch squares on the street in chalk, playing ball in the vacant lot next door. I miss the gang gathering at the lake to try to shoot dragonflies on the wing with our Daisy BB guns.

I will never miss computers, Cell phones, and gameboys. I miss my frends, not the toys.

Thanks for the post, OP. Good one.

^YEP^^^^^^^

I was born in 1960, and remember

What do you see...

I see a wonderful country slowly going to the dogs
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

things were much simpler back then. I miss it

Those times are so gone.
    A neighbors dog bit me when i was 6 yrs. old. Some how the dog got out and bit me in my front yard. Had to get stitches in arm. Dad came home, saw my injury and took out his 12ga. and killed the dog in its yard. Neighbor called metro Nashville police and the cop told neighbor that he would have done the same thing, case closed. Those were the days.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    The past for most people. There are still isolated pockets where you can leave you door unlocked, but you have to be away from the mainstream.
    And those are getting few and far between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links