How do you give back?

This is a discussion on How do you give back? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just saw this post and it warmed my heart to see decent people treat a disadvantage person with such respect and honor. It got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How do you give back?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

How do you give back?

I just saw this post and it warmed my heart to see decent people treat a disadvantage person with such respect and honor. It got me thinking. I would like to start a thread about how each of us gives back for the blessings we receive each day. What we do to help others just because. It doesn't have to be big. But what do you do to give back?

I will start off.

As I posted, I am starting a flashlight business. I have a Facebook buddy, I actually have never met him, who does graphic design. I told him I was going to start this business and without asking, he just created a logo. It went through several iterations and he spent a bunch of time on it. He NEVER once asked for money. He just did it because we are friends, he loves to do this type of stuff and that is just the way he is. He is a hard worker and we share many of the same views. I sent him a more than fair amount of money and a little bonus for all his efforts. Oh. Did I mention, the love of his life, the woman he just married recently went to the doctor and discovered she has stage 4 bone cancer. In the meantime he was unceremoniously laid off from his job because they moved his department overseas. He is unemployed with no insurance. He spends much of his time taking care of his sick wife. I just wish I could do more.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

here's a couple of what I consider "good deeds". I know they won't buy my way into heaven, but they make me feel a little better about myself.

I'm a CPA, and I prep tax returns for friends for a box of 9mm ammo. This year everyone has offered to pay me cash, (ammo is too valuable) which I won't take.
    Funny....I have a lot of "friends" this time of year.

I bought several custom holsters from a guy that had lost his job and had been unemployed for months. He was a member of another gun forum where I was a member.
    I doubled the price of each holster when I paid him. He went back to school and is now a police officer in Michigan.

I've adopted a homeless feline that is the sweetest cat I've ever been around. He greets me at my car every night and is truly happy to see me. My daughter's cat
    that I have raised from a kitten thinks I'm the hired help and was put on the planet simply to serve his every need.

I put myself through college waiting tables and delivering pizzas. Now, when I eat out, or have pizza delivered to our offices for lunch, I always tip a LOT. I know how much it
    means to the guy or girl working their butts off in those jobs.

I help newbies fill out the paperwork for their concealed carry licenses and review all the information before submitting to the State of Florida. Being an accountant, I am aware
    that one of the biggest hurdles some people have is that their brain goes on lock down when they have to fill out paperwork so they just keep procrastinating gettin' er done.
    Its just another piece of paper to me, so I can knock it out quickly without mistakes. I've completed about 15 applications in the last couple of years. 15 more good guys with guns
    on the streets of Central Florida.
    NONAME762 and Jeanlouise like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I am a member of a fraternal organization which for the past 40 or so years has put on a dance once a week for persons with disabilities. We also do a couple of weekend events during the year, one being a freethrow competition. At the end of freethrow event we give them free t-shirts, certificates and another award of some kind. These events are free to the persons who attend. The night of the dance following the freethrow event, just about everyone is sporting their new shirt. Working with these people is a wonderful thing and very rewarding. During the summer months and for the freethrow and Christmas party, I usually bring my son to help out. He really enjoys it as well.

At my business, I will do gratis work for folks from time to time when I feel there is a true need or someone has fallen on hardtimes.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My wife and I are pretty active in our church. We co-run the youth group (our church can't currently afford a full time youth pastor), teach pre-K once every sixth Sunday and I'm on the soundboard rotation. We also sponsor a child from Sri Lanka. Just recently we've decided that once a month, when eating out, we're going to pick a table of people whose bill we want to pay, whether someone in uniform, elderly couple, young family, etc.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am a reading mentor volunteer at the local public elementary school. I am on a rotation to provide food and cook breakfast for the local homeless shelter every 8 weeks. I raise money for the American Cancer society through Relay for Life. My team raised over $31k last year. I am on a committee that raises money for missions for my church to provide scholarships to help people afford the trips. We raised over $90k last year. I also plan mission trips in our state. I took my first international mission trip with my family to Nicaragua last year. We dug a well in a village where the people had to walk three miles to the previous nearest well. We built an addition to a church. We supplied hundreds of pairs of shoes to children. We fed 100's who make their living going through the trash in a dump.

I don't do enough; I try to donate one hour's wages per week to true charity. I volunteer with a medical research facility a few hours each week. I tutor handicapped students in certain subjects at a steep discount.

Not enough; nowhere near what the disciples and apostles would've done in my shoes.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Habitat for Humanity. It is great to see the new homeowner invest in their new home as it is built. This is truly a hand-up, not a hand-out. Also, it's fun every year in the spring when the various colleges come down with a spring break crew. But..it makes me wonder how smart the guys are that stay home (or go someplace else) since the mix is usually 80-20 girls to guys

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Not enough; nowhere near what the disciples and apostles would've done in my shoes.
    I can't agree more. No matter how much I might do, it will never be enough. Of course that is point, you can't earn or purchase something that is priceless.
    oneshot and DJC7 like this.

Reading these stories in E.M.P.'s new thread gave me pause to wonder. I haven't done that kinda thing that much the last 4 years mainly cuz I had to tighten up due to some stuff that happened to me that I don't wanna talk about.

When I was around 12 my Dad got real sick to the point where he couldn't work for about a year or more. So Mom had to go to work to bring home the bacon. It was hard on Mom but me and my Sister tried to get along better so Mom wouldn't have so much to worry about. Dad had been out of the hospital and home for a time and he and Mom had been struggling to pay the bills and both were feeling guilty about not tithing at our church for 3 weeks. So they prayed about it and then we went to church cuz that was what we did on Sunday. When the offering plate came by Dad put in a check like usual and that was it.

It was always my job when we got home to jump out and open the garage door for Dad so he could pull in the car. I did. We left the car in the driveway. The garage was not empty. It was full of sacks of food folks from our church and 3 other churches had brought over when we were at church. We all basically had a good cry and thanked the Lord and the people for their kindness. Then we spent like 20 minutes all of us hauling it into the kitchen. Alot of stuff went in the basement when the kitchen was full.

Of all my childhood memories good and bad this was one of the really good ones. This along with losing a job and living in the woods for a time and nearly running out of food myself in the Spring of 1979 was the why and how of why I became a prepper. Over the years I've answered the call when someone or a family had struck hard times and needed a hand. In 1983 or 84 my folks told me about a lady who got her kids out of the house and then they watched as their house burned down. It was b4 Christmas and could I help? I got the particulars and started loading my old 4x4. A few hours later I knocked on a hotel rooms door and told the lady who answered who I was and why I was there and could her kids help me bring up the stuff. With 3 of us it still took awhile. When it was all up in her room she asked me why I would do this for a stranger. I told her about when my Dad was sick and our church and that was why. Before I left I asked her if she wouldn't mind doing me a small favor if she could. Back then survivalists were in the news some and the press was really putting us down. I said to her the next time you hear someone say something sideways about a survivalist please tell them about what happened here today and she said she would. After I left I popped in on my folks and told them they'd have grub for about 3 weeks for the 6 of them.

That was my golden moment. I've done deals like this for my Sister and friends maybe 6 times since then. The last time was for a pal I used to work with at the RV park where I used to work. When my Sister was living in Utah I always gave her husband 20-40R of 3006 hunting ammo and sum heavy sox for Christmas. He was a good hunter but not a very good provider. I didn't really like him (flat didn't trust him, and he proved me right). Tho one time he was at the right place at the right time and took home a medium sized deer (dressed out) during the summer. After that I always sent along 100R of CCI 22HP just in case he got lucky again. While I don't hold with poaching if it's to feed a family with kids screw the Law and feed those kids. That's just how I am.

So that's how I pay it forward. And yeah I saw that movie and choked up a couple times but I live alone and no one saw me and if any of you tell I'll just deny, deny,deny. HUA
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

How do you give back?

I organize a event called Wake the World. We take children from foster care homes boating for the Day. Last year we had 24 wakeboard boats and 23 foster family's, about 89 kids . We fed them lunch and dinner and they had an absolute blast out on the lake. And after dinner surprised them with backpacks, school supplies and Nike donated over 100 pair of shoes for all the kids. Organizing another event this summer, we already have 30 boats lined up!!!!
    NONAME762 likes this.

The Lord blessed me with a bit of culinary talent, so I cook for fund raisers all the time.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Perty darn cool malibu man.
    67malibu likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Wow, so much good stuff. When I lived in NY, I was a volunteer firefighter and EMT for over 9 years. We always did stuff for the community. That includes waking up at 3AM with a foot of snow on the ground and going out because someone needed us.
    Now that I live in Arizona, I do different things. I am also a professional photographer and taught a six week class to underprivileged kids. They loved it. I even got some digital cameras donated for them to use. I took photos of each kid and the last class gave them all an 8X10 of themselves to bring home to their family. I also printed out some cool photos I took and gave them as gifts to the kids. Then printed what they shot and gave them as well. All in all it was a great experience. Unfortunately my main job changed and I do not have the time to do that again, but it sure was fun.

Be safe!
    67malibu likes this.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

The key to "Giving back" is to do it without the need for a pat on the back or even a thank you.
    I'm old fashioned and still believe in this old Manual for living:
    Matt 6:2-4
    [2] “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. [3] But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, [4] so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. *

I know this is not very popular today.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    The key to "Giving back" is to do it without the need for a pat on the back or even a thank you.
    I'm old fashioned and still believe in this old Manual for living:

I know this is not very popular today.

You are making an assumption that we are talking about it for a pat on the back. I have found some of my best inspiration from hearing stories of others and things thay have accomplished mostly just by being willing. By talking about what we do, we might be able to get someone else involved or give them inspiration to do something for someone else. None of the things I do is for a pat on the back. I do it because I fell led by the Holy Spirit. There is a difference between talkign about what you do and boasting. The difference is in the heart.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links