You know life isn't fair when Your dad's killer can run for office

This is a discussion on You know life isn't fair when Your dad's killer can run for office within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just found out a couple of minutes ago that guy that killed my dad, doesn't have a felony. Something we were assured he would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know life isn't fair when Your dad's killer can run for office

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

You know life isn't fair when Your dad's killer can run for office

I just found out a couple of minutes ago that guy that killed my dad, doesn't have a felony. Something we were assured he would have follow him his entire life. There was something called a writ of Imposition That released him from his inelgibility to follow his dreams. Dreams that are vary similar to my own, but the law enforcement job I will never be able to have because of the nightmares this guys crime. He hit us drunk, we know he tried to sleep it off, which points to affore thought, one of the factors to determine murder. The fact he knew he was drunk point to depraved indifference. With all the PSA and the fact he had law enforcement dreams he knew what drunk driving could do to people.

If he would have still had the felony for killing my dad he couldn't run for the Minnesota State Legislature, as he is doing now. Serving in public office is my other dream I have I just don't have the resources to do yet.

While evidently I would agree with his positions, and I have forgiving him and I'm glad he is moving on with his life. I AM ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS THAT HE CAN LIVE OUT HIS DREAMS like this and we have to live without my dad.It seams that we will always pay for this guys crime and he gets to move on. While if I were looking at this without emotion I would probably vote for this alcky, in my book he is still a MURDERER. Forgive my frustration
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

Well, I am sorry for your loss. Your right. It isn't fair when he can live out his dreams but you can't live yours out. I don't understand how this guy got away with what he did to your family and now he is running for a political position in our government. IMO that is just plain BS!!!!! They should have locked him up and threw away the key!!! Again sorry for your loss.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Got a name, case number of the DUI conviction, office he's running for? The reality is, the record will (at some point) become a matter of common knowledge. That may well be the way to fight this, if you're so inclined.

My condolences for the hardship and loss. It's never easy, my friend.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 4th, 2006 at 05:40 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Irregardless of what he claims to stand for would I vote for a guy who killed someone as a drunk driver. Not no but hell no.

I'd be bringing this to the attention of the press and submitting personal editorials to every paper in the district, shouting it from rooftops and making a general stink of it.

The voters have a right to know about his character, or lack thereof.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

from what my mom said his flyers have admitted that he was responsible for a fatal crash, just left off he was drunk. If I had known about this a couple of months ago I would have had time to do something beyond blogging about it, I decided that here I should edit his name.

I'm just flat out mad that the felony he was supposed to be tagged with for the rest of his life is gone.

The tough things about this is I know he still has a beer here or there and claims he doesn't party. Then there are a ton of things has done in MN that has helped his state before he ran for office, shoot we believed that he had one more year of probation, but he doesn't even have this. Buteverything he has done in my mind still doesn't negate the fact he killed my dad

I knew at the time we were being to lenient but with a concussion I couldn't fully explain why and now this fertilizer happens.

While I appriciate the sympathy I'm just posting this because I'm mad and I haven't figured out what I'm going to.

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    Contact his opponent, and let them know your story and the fact that you would be willing to publicize it (if that is in fact the case).

You could be starring in a political commercial on Monday.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If You're Determined...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Got a name, case number of the DUI conviction, office he's running for? The reality is, the record will (at some point) become a matter of common knowledge. That may well be the way to fight this, if you're so inclined.

My condolences for the hardship and loss. It's never easy, my friend.
    to keep his hidden problems alive...form your own little 'Swift Boat Committee'...so to speak...
    As was previously stated, contact his opponent, contact the media, and continue doing research.
    If you are not successful...THIS TIME...keep detailed records of this guy's legislative voting record for next time...
    Plan ahead...don't give up the fight...
    Keep in mind how many years went by before history caught up with John Kerry...(forgive my use or these dirty words)...
    If my family had suffered a similar loss...I would be aggressive, detailed, and ruthless...but I would GO SLOW...
    Even if he makes it into office this time...your success 'next' time could be even sweeter...

Good luck...stay the course...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Contact his opponent, and let them know your story and the fact that you would be willing to publicize it (if that is in fact the case).

Matt
    I'm with Matt here
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    I could well share your feelings and frustration in such a case. It must eat very deeply.

I too am thinking Matt has made a good point, tho whether there is time for any useful effect and leverage is hard to tell.

I'ts good you blow smoke on this and share it with the good folks here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    I second this motion.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    DUI crashes are a socially acceptable means to committ murder.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I talked with my Uncle, which is my dad's brother for those of you in District 3A in Minnesota his name is Les Lemm. He killed my dad in front of my eyes in Stearns County April 28, 1996. While he is pro-NRA guys this is killing me because effectively he has no punishment. He only served a year in the county pokey with work release. And he's using his community service as a possitive in his election.

I know what Pres Regan said about eating your own but he's a killer.

Nobody said life was fair. So do what you can with what you have. Here is some information available online about dear old Les. Maybe it can be put to good use? This is all stuff freely available online...

His web site...
    http://leslemm.org/

His campaign registration information...
    http://www.cfboard.state.mn.us/campf...l/rp16303.html

More candidate information...
    http://candidates.sos.state.mn.us/Ca...sp?CandID=1741

MN GOP information...
    http://www.mngop.com/candidates/candidates.cfm?sel=5
    Backtrack the link if you want to complain to the MN GOP, but I doubt it will do any good.

Dakota,

When I first read your post, I felt outrage. After thinking it through, you may have the opportunity to give some meaning to the situation. Think about looking at the issues and making a list of how you think your father would feel about the issues and what he would believe is right. Turn the list into an open letter to the candidate, send it to local papers. If his platform agrees with what your father would feel is right, then say so. Point out how you would support him and that you are not trying to turn against him, only to show him that the person he killed was a human being who loved and was loved, who had beliefs that he held strongly, and taught you to be the same.

Unless he is a total cold-hearted SOB, he will pick up the message. On top of that, you will have influenced him.

This is just my 2 cents and probably how I would handle it. I've know some pretty bad characters who have changed their lives for the better and helped a lot of people. Maybe you can have a positive influence.

Sonic has a better idea, but I would also ask about his current state of alcohol consumption.

Did he/does he attend AA?

Has he had couselling?

Has he apologized to the family??

It is a sad state of affairs and I really think that your family should ave been notified when he filed for his writ, so that you all could have been represented in any connected court proceedings.

Sorry for you loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links