Saying Goodbye to a Faithful Canine Friend Really Hurts...

This is a discussion on Saying Goodbye to a Faithful Canine Friend Really Hurts... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was not a good day for our household. Today we lost one of our two dogs, Maggie, our Irish Wolfhound. Every day, Maggie and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Saying Goodbye to a Faithful Canine Friend Really Hurts...

This was not a good day for our household. Today we lost one of our two dogs, Maggie, our Irish Wolfhound.

Every day, Maggie and Gunner our Rhodesian Ridgeback pup (now 7 mos), play pretty rough in the backyard. They take turns chasing each other, but if I open the door and ask, "Who wants a bone?"...they both stop dead in their tracks and make a b-line for the door...come in and stop at the freezer.

This afternoon was no different, they were playing hard, but when I called them in, Maggie just stopped and started throwing up. She eventually came in, but threw up several more times. By dinner, they are usually around our table...they stand back, but they know they'll usually get something left over...so they wait quietly. Tonight, Maggie just went to lay down on her bed...I took notice, but didn't think much of it. In fact, I went and got a couple of Pepto Bismal tabs to give her after we ate.

My wife went into our bedroom and came back out and told me that Maggie was now just laying on the bathroom floor whimpering and looking bloated. When I heard that, I scooped her up and headed to the University of Florida's Vet Clinic. I called ahead and they met me at the emergency door. Maggie was constantly moaning on the way there and really getting noticeably more bloated.

They took her in the back and in about 20 minutes, the Dr. came out to inform me that Maggie was beyond saving...her stomach has twisted and had cut off her blood flow. They could open her up to view details, but x-rays told them what they pretty much thought.

So tonight I had to say goodbye to a faithful and beautiful canine friend...a four year old Irish Wolfhound who loved people, especially kids...she was a loving dog.

Those of you, and I know there are many on the forum, who have had to say goodbye to a canine friend, know exactly how I feel.
    She was a very special friend to my wife and I...and the little boy across the street (he's going to be crushed)...this was a tough night.

Just thought I'd share...man I hate times like this!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am so sorry for you! You're in my thoughts. It is so tough, especially when they are so young and it's unexpected. Torsions are horrible. So sorry you had to go through that.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Ret I am very, very sorry for the loss. Its hard, because they are family. I had the same type of ordeal with my beloved German Shepherd a couple of years back.
    Keep your head up dude.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Very sad news. Dogs touch our souls in ways that few humans can match. In her too-brief four years with you, I'm sure Maggie knew she was loved. Thoughts are with you tonight.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm really sorry for your loss. We're dog lovers. Each one has it's own personality, and they are indeed family. I'm glad you had such a faithful friend, and I mourn with you in your loss.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    so very sorry for your loss.

VIP Member
    babarock and 640girl like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

So very sorry for your loss. They become family members. I lost my boy 3 years ago this month, and I think about him everyday. Take peace knowing that you gave her a good life, and will one day be reunited.

Sorry for your loss . Me dogs are a member of our family , we consider them our kids !,

My dog went in a similar way. It's hard.

Chin up. Remember your friend, and the memories of times you all shared with Maggie.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thats gotta be extra hard,I know you lost one last year from a freak accident,thoughts and prayers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I feel for you and yours........ My sincearest condolences
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

...prayers for you and your family...I'm convinced God gave us dogs so that we could learn a bit about unconditional love...
    TVJ, OD* and 640girl like this.

TVJ
    I send heartfelt support for/to you and family, Retsupt99.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I am sorry for your loss.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links