Seven Marines killed in tragic training accident.

This is a discussion on Seven Marines killed in tragic training accident. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Getting close to home since these troops were from Camp LeJeune just down the road from me. It is so sad to lose troops in ...

Thread: Seven Marines killed in tragic training accident.

VIP Member

Seven Marines killed in tragic training accident.

Getting close to home since these troops were from Camp LeJeune just down the road from me. It is so sad to lose troops in combat but to lose them in training is even harder to deal with. Prayers to them and their families.

Mortar explosion in firing tube kills Camp Lejeune Marines in Nev.

Camp Lejeune, N.C. A mortar shell explosion killed at least seven Marines from Camp Lejeune and injured several more during mountain warfare training in Nevada's high desert, prompting the Pentagon to immediately halt the use of the weapons until an investigation can determine their safety, officials said Tuesday.

The explosion occurred Monday night at the Hawthorne Army Depot, a sprawling facility used by troops heading overseas, during an exercise involving the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Lejeune, N.C. Several Marines from the unit were injured in the blast, authorities said.

The 60mm mortar round exploded in its firing tube during the exercise, Brig. Gen. Jim Lukeman said at a news conference at Camp Lejeune. He said investigators were trying to determine the cause of the malfunction.

"We don't know yet what caused this malfunction," Lukeman told reporters at Camp Lejeune Tuesday afternoon. "A team of investigators have begun investigating to figure out just what happened."

The 60mm mortar is a weapon that traditionally requires three to four Marines to operate, but it's common during training for others to observe nearby.
    Mortar explosion in firing tube kills Camp Lejeune Marines in Nev. :: WRAL.com

P.S. Just read online that an eighth Marine has perished.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

My thoughts and prayers are with their families.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Live munitions are always hazardlous. RIP Marines.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

RIP, brothers.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Condolences and best thoughts to the Marines and their families from an ex-11C.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Prayers for the troops and their families.
    I didn't know mortar shells could go boom in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by pappou68 View Post
    Prayers for the troops and their families.
    I didn't know mortar shells could go boom in the tube.
    There not suppose to,sounds like something went wrong with the fuse since IIRC you can fuse the rounds for everything from air bursts to delayed explosion after the round impacts,troops think its clear and start moving around then kaboom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There not suppose to,sounds like something went wrong with the fuse since IIRC you can fuse the rounds for everything from air bursts to delayed explosion after the round impacts,troops think its clear and start moving around then kaboom
    An 81mm round did the same thing in Vilseck, Germany around 1977. It was determined that it was due to microscopic fracturing in the casing of some very old ammo. I have seen proximity fuses go off on their upward trajectories, but high enough to not cause injury.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

May those soldiers R.I.P.
    Their families are added to my DC list.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It's so heartbreaking, it almost takes your breath away.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Links