For the Dog Lovers...

For the Dog Lovers...

This is a discussion on For the Dog Lovers... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As some of you were aware, we lost our Irish Wolfhound just a short time back. Her name was Maggie, and I was deeply touched ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: For the Dog Lovers...

For the Dog Lovers...

As some of you were aware, we lost our Irish Wolfhound just a short time back.
    Her name was Maggie, and I was deeply touched by all of the posts by so many forum members...you guys (and gals) are certainly a great group of dog lovers.
    We had immediately thought about getting another IW, but a little time has passed and we decided not to do anything at the present time.
    This was Maggie as a younger pup...she will always be missed, and never forgotten.
    I have no idea who the ugly guy with her is...
    CIMG0223.jpg

Several months ago, we got this little fellow, Gunner, a Rhodesian Ridgeback...about 6 months ago, actually. He was to be a companion to Maggie. It took some work, because Maggie was having no part of this aggressive little guy...and he was aggressive with her. She tolerated quite a bit from him, but would let him know that she was fully capable of taking charge, if necessary.
    After a while, almost at 6 months, one evening the RR went over and laid on Maggie's bed with her...she said, "OK", we were shocked, but things were pretty good after that...until the bad day we had with Maggie, and lost her at the Univ/FL Vet just a short time ago.
    Since that time, just a few short weeks, Gunner, our RR has kind of taken the lead in the house. He seemed to have missed his partner, but has now attached even more to me...follows me everywhere. And being retired, I seldom go anywhere without him.

This pic was posted when we first got Gunner...10 weeks old and just 14 lbs.
    photo.JPG

This is Gunner just a few days ago...just turned 8 months and tipped the scales at 107 lbs...still has a lot of growing to do.
    He's not fully understanding the home protection idea yet, but he's very curious when looking out of the windows.
    I've already taken him to my wife's K-4 classroom and he loved the kids. We take him to a farmer's market each Saturday that's loaded with other dogs and a ton of people with kids...he's adjusting very well.
    IMG_0530.jpg

We're going to just work on training and family time with Gunner...no other dogs for quite a while, I think...

May the dog lovers on the forum enjoy this post...I did it for ME as much as for anyone else.

Time heals all, but never erases memories.

Respectfully submitted,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Maggie was beautiful. I love the wire hair breeds. Sorry to hear she passed.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

OD*
    Fantastic Ret!

Nothing can fill the hole left in our hearts with the loss of a beloved companion, but a new pup can ease the pain a little. Thanks for sharing this. BTW, Gunner is a right handsome dude.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I agree with OD. Gunner sure is more handsome than that ugly old cuss in the 1st picture with Maggie.

Man, Ret, I had no idea RR's got that big. Is Gunner average size or is he above average?
    Rock and Glock and RETSUPT99 like this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is Gunner just a few days ago...just turned 8 months and tipped the scales at 107 lbs...still has a lot of growing to do.

He's not fully understanding the home protection idea yet ...
    Oh, don't you believe it. First sign of outright trouble, and that 107-pound 4WD unit will turn into a fanged, 40mph cruise missile, sure as sunshine. Just so long as he doesn't turn into an extension of the big green beanbag in the family room, I'm sure you won't have to worry about him when the chips are down.

You might say that Rhodesians are noted for getting their "backs up" in a fight. Gunner'll do just fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    I agree with OD. Gunner sure is more handsome than that ugly old cuss in the 1st picture with Maggie.

Man, Ret, I had no idea RR's got that big. Is Gunner average size or is he above average?
    Different breeders promote different aspects of their breeds. Yes, Gunner will be above average size for many RR's. We had another RR years ago from this same breeder, in fact, Gunner was in the same line of parents...not sure if it was a two or three generations back. Male Rhodesians are usually about 80-90 pounds. This breeder raises larger boned RR with broad heads and very muscular frames. Our last RR from her was about 120 lbs, and Gunner is probably going to meet that mark...wherever he ends up is fine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Beautiful pups and I'm sorry for your loss. I recently went through the same thing.

A girl I dated for two years in high school had an IW, very sweet dogs with a boatload of personality!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Sounds like you and Gunner are turning into best buddies.
    surefire7 and Rock and Glock like this.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Awesome pics.. Good looking animals. Gunner looks like he could be a handful if he wanted to..
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

A handsome young pup Ret!!
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Thanks for sharing!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member
    Nice post sir. Glad that Gunner is there to help fill the void. He'll be a great companion and a home security asset. Thanks for posting the pic,now we can all see what a great looking dog Maggie was. Dogs are angels.
    RETSUPT99 and surefire7 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I know that guy! I saw him at a homeless shelter with a sign that said "Will Work For Ammo"
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Nice pics and story, Ret, thank you.

Gunner looks like he is still trying to figure out what happend to Maggie. He might be grieving and knows that something is missing. Dogs are "pack" animals and losing one of their own tends to make them nutty for awhile until they get used to the void left behind in Maggie's absence.

She was the "alpha" dog and now Gunner has to take that position. He will eventually come around and be the protector of the pack, count on it. Yet, you and Gunner will still have the pain of losing Maggie. That will always be there to keep her memory alive as long as you both are.

I offer the prayer that life continues and you and Gunner will have the same relationship as you did with Maggie.

Remember : "Dog" is God spelled backwards. Losing mine was painful as well but it brings a saying back to mind that I heard once. "I hope I am the kind of person that my dog believes me to be." True words that hopefully bring you comfort.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I know that guy! I saw him at a homeless shelter with a sign that said "Will Work For Ammo"
    Gunner's making the rounds, I see. A straight-shooter. No Rice Krispies for this one: T-bones, and keep 'em comin'.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links