A Tribute To My Buddy Jake

This is a discussion on A Tribute To My Buddy Jake within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Robert "Jake" Jasura, died in Vietnam 11-13-68 at age 20, while serving with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (11th ACR). Each year, the approach of ...

Thread: A Tribute To My Buddy Jake

A Tribute To My Buddy Jake

Robert "Jake" Jasura, died in Vietnam 11-13-68 at age 20, while serving with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (11th ACR).

Each year, the approach of Veterans Day signals the nearing of the anniversary of Jake's death. It causes me to remember the good times we had together, entering the Army on the same day, then the pain that came with the news of his death.

Folks usually say good things about the departed, even when they were jerks. That's not the case with Jake--he was a young man of intelligence and responsibility. He was brave, yet knew the realities of what he faced when he left for Vietnam. While I was with a different unit in Vietnam, I'd have been pleased to have Jake at my side, for I know he was a great soldier.

His family still grieves, and for them I invite prayers that they would feel comfort and relief for the pain that remains today, some 38 years later.

Being among my closest friends in life, I'll always remember you, Jake, and know you died a proud and valiant "Blackhorse" trooper.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Sadly I think that all of us of that era have at least one of those friends. Mine was named Tommy, he was with the 173rd, and he had only been in country two weeks when he got killed.

Lets remember them all, it helps keep them alive in our minds and hearts.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    38 years Jimmy is still in these cases, like yesterday.

We have many ''Jakes'' we should salute and remember, and not just because of vet's day either. Too many are allowed to fade into obscurity, other than by those who were left behind to grieve.

My Dad lost his closest friend John, in 1941 - a fighter pilot in Battle of Britain. I well remember looking over many years in my younger days at John's photograph on the bureau - and Dad's often mentioning him.

RIP Jake, and all the Jakes - we will remember them.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I lost a cousin in Vietnam. I remember him each Memorial and Veteran's Days.

I salute my brothers and sisters-in-arms that are currently in harms way and those who are no longer with us.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Charlie Trescott...

I remember him well...
    Met him in 6th grade...killed as a medic in 'Nam...7 years later!

Over 40 years now...and I still wonder about him! I can still remember his funeral...

JimmyC...I know that one does not forget these events even after many years...

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 7th, 2006 at 11:26 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Jimmy,
    It is important we all stop to salute and remember the fallen heroes of this country. fortunately, our group here seems more patriotic and 'sentimental' when it comes to this matter....I am proud of that.
    I do not have a father or brother, or close family member that was lost in a war....I guess the timing wasn't there...father too young for WWII and married with kids for Korea. Oldest brother too young for Vietnam, and for me...There was gulf war 1 (desert storm) my senior year, but was over before it started.
    I commend all who have served this country and after 9/11, I wish I would have served. now each year that passes I honor and respect our military personnel more and more.
    So, as veterans day approaches....here's a thanks to all here that made the decision to put their country first.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I'm sorry for your loss and for his family's.

My dad lost his best friend in 'nam too. He has told me so much about Bud over the years that I feel as if I knew him myself.

I vow to never forget the people who laid down their lives for my freedom. And I remind others to remember them every chance I get.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links