Niece in Crash, prayers and lessons learned

This is a discussion on Niece in Crash, prayers and lessons learned within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got a call from my sister yesterday. Friday night at 11:00 pm the car my niece (19) was riding in went off the road (to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Niece in Crash, prayers and lessons learned

Niece in Crash, prayers and lessons learned

Got a call from my sister yesterday.

Friday night at 11:00 pm the car my niece (19) was riding in went off the road (to miss a deer), over a cliff, jumped a creek, flipped at least 4 times, and ended up on its side down over a steep embankment over 80 feet from the road. She was able to climb out of the sunroof but couldn't walk. Her friend was pinned in the car. She couldn't find her cell phone, but somehow managed to find a flashlight that had been in the car. She laid down there on the ground in the cold for 6 and a half hours until a car came by and saw her shining the flashlight (this was out in the boondocks). She's pretty banged up but seems she will be ok. Her friend, the driver, is in a lot worse shape with a lot of broken bones but seems stable. It's a miracle they're alive.

The police called my sister at 6:00 am yesterday morning and told them. That's a call no parent ever wants to get.

This brought up a couple of things to think about.

1) Never swerve to miss an animal. I learned this in college when I swerved to miss a dog and almost rolled a truck. I love animals, but if they're in the road it isn't worth risking your life over. A couple years later I squared a deer at 65 MPH and I just held on tight and didn't swerve. At that speed, any swerve could have lost control.

2) Have your cell phone on your person rather than laying in the car. In a crash, stuff gets tossed all over the place (especially in a roll over). With injuries, time to get help can be critical.

3) Never underestimate the importance of having a good flashlight on hand. In this case it may have saved their lives.

Just thought I would share what's going on and a couple thoughts on the situation.
    OD*, HotGuns, TX expat and 12 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Good points. I hope all turns out OK.

Your Niece had her wits about her.

Prayers sent

Prayers sent and thanks for the tips... good info.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

My prayers for your niece and her friend after such a terrible accident. I truly hope they both heal and get back to normal.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

OD*
    Done!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Wow. Very scary. Hope they both make a full recovery. Very good tips; it's always better to have the things you need and not need them, then to need them and not have them!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Wow,hopefully they will have a full recovery.Sounded like they went for a tumble.Deer are bad here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    Wow,hopefully they will have a full recovery.Sounded like they went for a tumble.Deer are bad here as well.
    This was in NC...I hit a deer there years ago, and narrowly missed on 4 other occasions. My MIL has hit several in NC too. They're everywhere. Perhaps they need to flip the deer season where you can only NOT hunt them for several weeks a year.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Prayers sent.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Done. And very good points made.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll share the advice with loved ones as well. It's terrible how many people are hurt or killed swerving to miss an animal or debris in the road.

VIP Member
    Thoughts are with your family

...added to my DC list!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Friday night at 11:00 pm the car my niece (19) was riding in went off the road (to miss a deer), over a cliff, jumped a creek, flipped at least 4 times, and ended up on its side down over a steep embankment over 80 feet from the road. She was able to climb out of the sunroof but couldn't walk. Her friend was pinned in the car.
    Bad situation. Glad she's okay, more or less.

1) Never swerve to miss an animal. I learned this in college when I swerved to miss a dog and almost rolled a truck. I love animals, but if they're in the road it isn't worth risking your life over.
    Have struck a few animals myself, in previous lives. Have come up quickly on a herd of deer (ugly), and upon an elk (uglier), but struck none of them. Have come around corners in free-range country to find large beef cattle and steers on numerous occasions, but struck none of them (thankfully). Can't count the number of smaller critters I've mowed down when swerving would have been dangerous (ie, raccoon on down). It's just not worth it, to swerve to the point of losing control.

2) Have your cell phone on your person rather than laying in the car. In a crash, stuff gets tossed all over the place (especially in a roll over). With injuries, time to get help can be critical.
    One your person is crucial, for the reasons your niece found out.

It's just as important has having our firearms, knives and lights on our persons, too, for all the same basic reasons.

3) Never underestimate the importance of having a good flashlight on hand. In this case it may have saved their lives.
    Yup. Got them around the home, in the car, in the BOB, and generally with me on my person, certainly with me anytime I'm heading out where being in the boonies and/or in the dark is likely to happen.

Import points! Thanks for the reminder.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links