My son was at the edge of life or death.

This is a discussion on My son was at the edge of life or death. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This past Saturday was a true mix of life and death.........I've sort of crashed since then reliving it all. It's actually difficult to write about. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: My son was at the edge of life or death.

VIP Member

This past Saturday was a true mix of life and death.........I've sort of crashed since then reliving it all. It's actually difficult to write about.

My son (early 30's) came in for a visit this past weekend and on Saturday a neighbor called to say I had a couple of calves out. I got up to go tend to them and my son offered to go with me and give me a hand. He was still getting over, and just about well, from a stomach bug, and I told him don't worry about it, I could do it alone. Well he insisted on coming so we rode over there together. I needed to get a four-wheeler to use along with the pickup truck to get them back in the pasture. Two of us would make the job easier.

We were at the pasture, and getting ready to go drive the calves, and I gave him a brief plan as to what each of us would do and I noticed he was looking off in the distance not really paying any attention to what I was saying. I didn't think much of it and thought I was probably verbally over-planning and giving him too much information (I've been accused of that !). My son was about 30 feet away and I was about to start the four-wheeler and I heard him pretty loudly saying HUHT, HUHT, HUHT, HUHT, repetitively over and over. At that very moment there was a herd of cows walking up toward us and I thought he was just hollering at the herd to get them away from an open gate. I didn't think much of it. I glanced at him again and he was doing the same thing but now more animated in his movements. I thought this is a bit odd, and thought he was just messing with me. I looked back at him a few seconds later and he was now on the ground, still animated and still HUHT, HUHT, HUHT.

I knew that this was a serious medical emergency and rushed over to him. He was perfectly fine, and healthy one minute and now he's on the ground with some sort of seizure and convulsions. Bee sting??? NKA's? No epilepsy. He's still making noises, moving around and non-responsive to my voice or touch. Recalling my old EMT classes, it seemed he was having a grand mal seizure, though he's not epileptic and we have no related family history.

I didn't restrain him, and just kept him as comfortable as I could. He's slobbering a great deal. Along with everything else I'm worried about his airway or choking. Is he dying of a heart attack, stroke, aneurysm???? The symptoms are slowly subsiding and I don't know if I might actually be losing him right there in my arms out in the middle of nowhere.......alone. What a sinking feeling as I'm readying myself to start CPR when needed.

After what seemed like an eternity he began to settle down, still out of it, though confused and disoriented. At some previous point I had used my cell and called 911, one of my neighbors, and my wife. My wife and neighbors got there at about the same time, the neighbors got the calves off the road and we all tended to my son. He became more alert and told me (later) when he looked up he thought the deputy was there because of the loose calves on the road. Then he saw the ambulance pull in and said to himself, why am I on the ground, and that ambulance must be here for me !!!

I gave the guys a brief medical history about him (unremarkable) and what I had witnessed and they put him in the ambulance to ready him for transport. One of them told me his numbers looked good......at least that was good news to hear.

My wife and I followed the ambulance to the hospital and when we got there they had him in an ER cardiac room and tending to him. He was now pretty alert and stable. Of course they began the blood and urine tests, CT scan, chest xray, etc. As it turns out nothing obvious showed up as a problem. We stayed there for about six hours on "observation". The Doc finally said go home, take it easy, no caffeine, don't get too hot, just relax and as soon as possible pursue what caused this seizure. He told him come right back to the ER if he began to develop anything unusual. He has very impressive bruising and teeth marks along the edge of his tongue.

This week he has already scheduled three doctor appointments to begin the process of finding out why.

I can't hardly describe to ya'll the feeling of my stomach bottoming out while being there with him out in the middle of nowhere during this seizure. I truly thought he might be dying right there in my arms. My old EMT classes from 35 years ago kicked in nicely and I was determined to do CPR or whatever I needed, as long as I needed. I also was determined that if he died, it wouldn't be face down in the dirt.....he would be with me.

We're both lucky and thankful, in fact all of us are.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Ppk, glad to hear he came out of this okay.
    Now, prayers that you all find out what caused it, and how to prevent it in the future.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I am glad he is alright and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    ppkheat likes this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

WOW--- sorry--- hope it works out!
    ppkheat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    ppk, I will pray for both you and your son. I cannot imagine how you must have felt out there with your son. I have never been through anything close to that with mine.

You will be in our thoughts.
    ppkheat and GhostMaker like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Hopefully everything will be OK. Our prayers are with you and yours.
    ppkheat likes this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I can't even imagine how it would feel. I don't have kids.I hope he is ok.I can only imagine,how it would freak me out,not knowing what's happening.Hopefully,they will be able to find out,what caused it.
    ppkheat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    That's a tough one, I'm glad it turned out well for you both and I hope everything is going to be ok. I have a son in his 30s, and I cringe when I think about that happening to him. God bless.
    ppkheat likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Scary stuff. Hope he finds the issue and gets it resolved.
    ppkheat likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Yikes!!!

You said he was just getting over a stomach bug. Diarrhea? Was he dehydrated - electrolytes out of whack? It doesn't take
    much time in the heat to put someone into dire straights, especially if they have had a head start from something like a stomach
    bug.

I hope it all checks out just fine, and think it probably will since anything structural would likely have shown on a CAT
    scan.

Good luck. I sincerely hope this turns out to be a one-off thing that he never ever experiences again.
    ppkheat likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Scary and very upsetting. I pray all works out for your son and family
    scgunlover1 and ppkheat like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Wow, scary incident. Glad you were there with him.
    ppkheat likes this.

The Lord was watching over both of you PPK. Helping you remember your emergency training so you did what needed to be done by the book. Getting to the ER ASAP. You did all you could do given the circumstances. My prayers are for your son and family that yall find the strength in your heart to overcome this hurdle. Ya done good.
    WHEC724, ppkheat, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Glad he's okay. Definitely some scary stuff. I don't care how long ago you took an EMT class, it pays off in spades at times like this.

Imagine how scary and helpless you would have felt if you had no training. You were spot on in your prehospital care for him.

I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Thanks for posting that story, buddy. You did a good job!
    ppkheat likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    Glad to hear he is ok , hope they figure out what I up and fix him up quickly.
    ppkheat likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links