A story from the past.

A story from the past.

This is a discussion on A story from the past. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I spend some time thinking how things have changed.Most stuff for the better,some might have been better back then.It is to bad we lose some ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By pignut

Thread: A story from the past.

A story from the past.

I spend some time thinking how things have changed.Most stuff for the better,some might have been better back then.It is to bad we lose some good things along the way.
    I was a Deputy Sheriff when I was a young man,but I did not stay at it long.I think Law Enforcement may be better in ways then it was.It sure is different around here.Then all the Deputies carried a S&W Model 36. 1 & 7/8 or 2 inch barrel,chambered in .32S&W long.A round that would not be even considered by most for anything much now.They almost all carried a slap jack.I doubt they are allowed now.They were of the flat kind mostly,a few had the round ones,but mostly the flat.They were made of heavy leather with a strap to help hold on to it.It was loaded with lead and could produce compliance quickly in most cases.Back then LE usually knew the "perp" and knew how to handle them.One Deputy was always sent alone to bring in a fellow who would get drunk every weekend and start a fight.Deputy Penny just walked up behind the drunk and whacked him with his slapjack.It took the guy to his knees,he usually liked to fight the law,that was what the whole thing was about.This time the fight left him and he sobered up really quick.Deputy Penny told him to go get in the car,which he did without a word.Always after that when the guy would start a fight Deputy Penny would drive up in the car,blow the horn,and the guy would quite fighting and just go get in the car.

Jacks and Saps are brutal instruments that could be handled with a great deal of finesse by a skilled operator. A mild tap on a shoulder or elbow almost always left that limb numb and useless for some time.

Blows to the head were always problematic as they had the potential to kill

Of course some users never learned the finesse necessary to use these weapons with skill and as a result no one can use them anymore

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Back in the day my favorite was what was called sap gloves, hard to take away yet could shoot and reload. they always worked well for me.

VIP Member
    Sap, social etiquette compliance aid.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My father was an Airforce Sp officer for a goodwhile, and has a pretty interesting collection of things, one of which is sap, the flat kind too. My brother hit me in the thigh with it when were younger ..... now I know the common peronial and fluid shockwave theory... but at that time i thought my world was ending lol. As far as say gloves go..... saw a guy get the tar beat out of him by a bouncer wearing a pair.... that guys face looked like someone dropped a 10 lb bag of lead shot on it from the roof.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have a jack still from back in the day,but never hit anyone with it.I do not have the skill.Afraid I might get more results than I wanted.If the gun control crowd has their way they may bring back deadly weapons into use that have not been used in a long time as they were or could be brutal.

...I once had a rookie who wanted to see how my metal collapsible baton worked...it was about 7" folded, and I carried it in my front pocket...while showing him how easily one could draw/open/strike in one smooth motion, I miscalculated and smacked my rookie(lightly) on the side of his head...he was a high school tight end and I was very glad he was still a good sport...I was mortified, of course...we got along well after that and he wasn't at all argumentative...but he DID watch me real closely...

...I had a Don Hume 10" flat sap...first order I made from them...never used it one time...seldom carried it...leaded gloves were the norm for the paddy wagon drivers...all things were not good about the "good old days"...

Links