A Second Front In My War Against Cancer

This is a discussion on A Second Front In My War Against Cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; JimmyC, My apologies for the late posting here, but I just saw this thread. I have not been on the board a lot lately as ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Second Front In My War Against Cancer

JimmyC,

My apologies for the late posting here, but I just saw this thread. I have not been on the board a lot lately as I have been dealing with 'radiation recall', or recurring side effects from the 40 radiation treatments I underwent all summer for my diagnosis of Hodgkins Lymphoma. The last few weeks have been extremely tough and I have been sidelined with intense pain from the waist down due to an inflammation of the spinal canal, an "uncommon but not rare" side effect of radiation.

Since we have previously discussed our both having been in Vietnam, and we have both been diagnosed with cancers that are on the VA "presumptive" list, we have a kinship that others may never know. I feel your pain, and I know the anxiety you are facing about the upcoming treatments for the prostate cancer.

I am a long way from you, but as close as the phone if you ever feel a need to talk..... about anything. I'm here most of the time, especially during the evenings. Will be gone this coming Tuesday and Wednesday as we have to be in Abilene for more tests.... another PET scan and 2 more soft tissue scans as the Oncologists try to determine just how extensive the inflammation in my spinal canal is in order to determine the best course of long range treatment. Also have to see a Urologist for prostate problems...... caused by the radition treatments.

Each in our own ways, we are tough, or we never would have made it through 'Nam.... but don't try to tough this out on your own, call me anytime, day or night. We shared a common bond 36 years ago and we can stand tall together today just like we did so long ago.

My long distance is free, included in my phone plan with no minute restrictions. I'll PM you my numbers, just call if you ever feel a need and I will call you back as soon as I can.

In the meantime, know that there are a lot of prayers and positive thoughts for you way down here in Texas.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Keep up the fight, brother.

Jimmy, You are on our prayer list. Chin up, Fight hard!
    Pershing SIR!!

Hi Jimmyc I know what your going through my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago and now its spread to her lung and her prognosis isn't good. I'll pray for you and like I told my mom its not over till its over hang in there and don't give up. Cancer is an awful thing but it can't change the person you are,my mother has given me the best example of courage and strong will in seeing her fight this awful disease. I think anyone who can face something like this with such courage and strength truely worthy of respect.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words...it's uplifting to come here and read of your well-wishes and prayers.

Dave, Welcome Home! Just like 1970, we're in this together....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links