A Second Front In My War Against Cancer

This is a discussion on A Second Front In My War Against Cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's a bit odd to write such a personal message to people I've never met, yet consider friends. As background, for the past six years ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Second Front In My War Against Cancer

A Second Front In My War Against Cancer

It's a bit odd to write such a personal message to people I've never met, yet consider friends.

As background, for the past six years I've fought Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow), a disease that Veterans Affairs (VA) considers "presumptive to Agent Orange exposure" in Vietnam. So, they provide my healthcare and other benefits.

Then, earlier this week, a prostate biopsy came back with bad news. I have cancer in my prostate, with one area being "high grade cancer", which is fast-moving. So, there is a sense of urgency to get underway with surgery followed-up with chemo, radiation or hormone therapy. By the way, prostate cancer is another disease on that list of those presumptive to exposure to Agent Orange, so this really shouldn't surprise me.

I'd like to say that I'm so tough that I take this in stride and simply fight on. The truth is that I'm struggling to get back on my feet emotionally to take on this second battle.

Your words of encouragement, and especially your prayers, will be most appreciated. I'll thank you now, since I don't know that I'll be able to personally acknowledge every effort that's made.

In closing, I must compliment our country for watching out for me some 36 years after I made it home, only in America would a veteran be cared for this way...God Bless America.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    JimmyC I too am in bad health, and will make sure you are included in my prayers.

Well I'll keep you in my prayers here for sure. I can understand the battle, in a way, as my wife is dealing with advanced MS. Sometimes you just say "Ah, jeez, there's something more?" But somehow with some help from above you keep going. I've learned from this that tough doesn't mean it doesn't effect us. It means that despite what we are going through and how it effects us we keep on somehow. I'm betting you know that kind of toughness my friend. Let us know how you're doing when you can and we'll keep praying for you.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

JimmyC, you are surrounded by friends that you've never met personally. We are on your side in your fight and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. The mental approach to fighting this is easily as important as the physical one.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Lead Moderator
    Keep fighting. It gets frustrating , but you can over come , once again.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Sounds like your Doctor is on top of this situation, JimmyC. You will be in our thoughts and prayers here at CombatCarry...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Jimmy....we've "known" each other on cyberspace since I've joined the Beretta Forum two years ago....you've always been a straight shooter which I respect.

I have faith that you will come out on top of this. Nonetheless, sir, you will definitely be in my prayers and well wishes. As a member of this forum, you'll find as the days pass that my prayers will be mulitiplied by the number of members here since you are one of us.

Have faith and like you did in Vietnam...continue fighting the good fight! We are with you!!

God bless.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Wishing you the best, Jimmy. Keep a positive attitude and let us know how you're doing. Sorry to hear you've got yet another mountain to climb, but you'll prevail. You're in our prayers as well..!!

Assistant Administrator
    Jimmy - I was not aware of the longevity of your current battle - and now an extra fight. Daunting but you do indeed sound like a man with the will to overcome.

Yes, true we mostly will never meet but there is a bond within this place between many of us - not just CCW. Be assured you are within an environment of support here and any and all strength we can muster to help your troubles along will be done.

I am glad you feel able to share this with us - and trust you will blow any smoke on it as and when you feel the need. Friendship comes in many forms.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Unhappy

That is terrible news Jimmy and I wish you all the best.

Here's to hoping you are too stuborn to succumb,
    and will keep drinking Lienies for years to come.

P.S. Having to postpone migrating south for the winter one more year will just make it all the more special next year.
    Last edited by Garg; November 18th, 2006 at 08:20 PM.

Hang in there. I believe your attitude plays a big part of fighting any illness.

My wife's grandmother was diagnosed with cancer when she was in her late 40's. The doctors were all very discouraged and told her she didn't have long.

Her response was, "what do doctors know; I'm not going anywhere until God decides the matter".

Well, 50 years later she died naturally of old age (97 years old).

In Nam you took up the fight and defended your country and you survived. You can beat this enemy, too.

Keep up the good fight. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

By the way, thank you for your service to this great country.

Sorry to hear this, you are in my prayers.

For what it's worth I finnaly found a Leinies I like "Sunset Wheat".
    Never trust a man who refuses to own a dog.

JimmyC, I am sorry to hear of your latest diagnosis. I will be praying for you and your doctors.

SCGuy (aka SCGunGuy from BF)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will light a candle for you , and great that its covered by your va bud . Sory to read that there is an issue , but if so i am glad you have some coverage .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links