Update: Glad I went

This is a discussion on Update: Glad I went within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got back in from the doctor( not my regular physician, but one of his associates). He looked at my finger, I could tell from ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426

Thread: Update: Glad I went

Update: Glad I went

Just got back in from the doctor( not my regular physician, but one of his associates). He looked at my finger, I could tell from his face he knew what he was dealing with. He proceeded to tell me I had a paranicium. He told me if I had waited two more days it would have become a phellin. That would have required surgery to repair capillary damage due to the pressure in my finger. They would have had to split my finger from the tip to the second joint on my finger. Any way, he pulled out a clean scalpel and proceeded to cut the area twice. He said it was dead skin, but it felt pretty lively to me. What came out was a horrid mess. I couldn't believe all of that was in my finger. He squeezed three times. He then proceeded to apply a topical antibiotic and dressed it. He took a culture, and told me they should have results by this Wednesday(Hopyard, mentioned the MRSA strains). He prescribed a topical ointment that treats everything including MRSA. For oral use he gave me Cephalexin(3x daily). I am to do warm compresses three times daily to keep it draining. He told me to press the nail or end of the finger to check for blanching( blood flow to finger). He indicated I made the right choice today and doesn't forsee anymore problems.

2. Remove Ads

You know the rules... pictures or it didn't happen.
    Poseidon likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Just got back in from the doctor( not my regular physician, but one of his associates). He looked at my finger, I could tell from his face he knew what he was dealing with. He proceeded to tell me I had a paranicium. He told me if I had waited two more days it would have become a phellin. That would have required surgery to repair capillary damage due to the pressure in my finger. They would have had to split my finger from the tip to the second joint on my finger. Any way, he pulled out a clean scalpel and proceeded to cut the area twice. He said it was dead skin, but it felt pretty lively to me. What came out was a horrid mess. I couldn't believe all of that was in my finger. He squeezed three times. He then proceeded to apply a topical antibiotic and dressed it. He took a culture, and told me they should have results by this Wednesday(Hopyard, mentioned the MRSA strains). He prescribed a topical ointment that treats everything including MRSA. For oral use he gave me Cephalexin(3x daily). I am to do warm compresses three times daily to keep it draining. He told me to press the nail or end of the finger to check for blanching( blood flow to finger). He indicated I made the right choice today and doesn't forsee anymore problems.
    Be absolutely certain to hound him if you are not seeing rapid improvement after starting the Cephalexin.
    Been there and done all of that back in October so I'm talking from personal experience. Also some quasi professional
    experience on these matters.

I was treated on a Sunday. No improvement by Tuesday morning; called, called - called. They got the lab results in late Tuesday (it does take
    about 48-72 for these kinds of samples to be processed) and changed the antibiotic to something my "community acquired
    MRSA responded to--- sort of. By that time the infection had really gotten going and was looking quite serious.

As you know with certainty that you have been exposed to the hospital MRSA strain,
    you need to keep close tabs that things are being done properly. In my case, just because this is sort of my thing, I insisted
    on seeing the lab report on the antibiotic resistance pattern. Glad I did. I needed that information.

BTW, I can't find either of those two words in my medical dictionary or with google search, but I know what you are trying
    to say and I just now can't think of the correct terms. Doesn't matter. Its infected, they cleared the gunk and goo out,
    treated the wound, treated your body, and if it is not MRSA you will be a hugely better by morning or so.

Good luck.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You know, when somebody asks you "how's it going," they usually don't expect quite this level of detail.

But glad to hear it's on the mend.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Hopyard, I could have misspelled the terms. I tried to spell them based on pronunciation.

What the OP likely had is a "paronychia".

Take a look and see if this is it: Paronychia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    What the OP likely had is a "paronychia".

Take a look and see if this is it: Paronychia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Interesting. Ever few years I get the start of something that looks like this, but I just bandage it with Neosporin and it goes away in a few days.
    Springfield Armory XDs .45
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm sc
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Hopyard, I could have misspelled the terms. I tried to spell them based on pronunciation.
    Doesn't matter. I recall hearing something similar sounding too. I had to put off the range test for my CHL renewal
    from Nov to Jan because of that dang infection. Hope the Cephelexin works for you and you get better very quickly. (See, we are now back on DC appropriate matters.)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoopsImPackin View Post
    Interesting. Ever few years I get the start of something that looks like this, but I just bandage it with Neosporin and it goes away in a few days.
    I used to get infections like that often, but since being diagnosed with Diabetes and getting that under control, I haven't had any more outbreaks . DR

Links