July 3rd, Lee at Gettysburg

This is a discussion on July 3rd, Lee at Gettysburg within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The incident below, related by a Union army veteran in A. L. Long’s Memoirs of Robert E. Lee, is said to have taken place on ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By Jaeger
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaDawg
  • 4 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 4 Post By zonker1986
  • 3 Post By zonker1986

Thread: July 3rd, Lee at Gettysburg

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

Lightbulb July 3rd, Lee at Gettysburg

The incident below, related by a Union army veteran in A. L. Long’s Memoirs of Robert E. Lee, is said to have taken place on July 3, 1863, the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg. It speaks of an American brotherhood that, in the end, transcended that terrible war.

I was at the battle of Gettysburg myself. . . . I had been a most bitter anti-South man, and fought and cursed the Confederates desperately. I could see nothing good in any of them. The last day of the fight I was badly wounded. A ball shattered my left leg. I lay on the ground not far from Cemetery Ridge, and as General Lee ordered his retreat he and his officers rode near me.

As they came along I recognized him, and, though faint from exposure and loss of blood, I raised up my hands, looked Lee in the face, and shouted as loud as I could, “Hurrah for the Union!”

The general heard me, looked, stopped his horse, dismounted, and came toward me. I confess that I at first thought he meant to kill me. But as he came up he looked down at me with such a sad expression upon his face that all fear left me, and I wondered what he was about. He extended his hand to me, and grasping mine firmly and looking right into my eyes, said, “My son, I hope you will soon be well.”

If I live to be a thousand years I shall never forget the expression on General Lee’s face. There he was, defeated, retiring from a field that had cost him and his cause almost their last hope, yet he stopped to say words like those to a wounded soldier of the opposition who had taunted him as he passed by. As soon as the general had left me I cried myself to sleep there upon the bloody ground.

American History Parade

1863 The Battle of Gettysburg ends with a Union victory.
    1890 Idaho becomes the forty-third state.
    1898 The U.S. Navy defeats a Spanish fleet in the harbor of Santiago, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War.
    1986 President Reagan presides over the rededication of the 100-year-old, newly renovated Statue of Liberty.

From Bill Bennett's American Patriot Almanac
    wmhawth, scottync and Oldpsufan like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Jaeger, that is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm a fan of General Lee. He was a a good man.
    mano3 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

No matter what one thinks of the causes and ideals that were in play in the Civil War, I maintain that General Lee is one of the finest men this continent has ever produced.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Hurrah for honor. May we never forget it, for it is one of the few things that can see us through the darkest of days and lift one's spirits to the heavens.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Battle of Gettysburg: 150 Years Later | The Story

We hear readings penned by a 15-year-old girl who witnessed the Civil War battle in her village. Tillie Pierce saw the fighting and spent time tending to the wounded in a neighbor’s farmhouse. Later in her life she wrote the book At Gettysburg: Or What a Girl Saw and Heard of The Battle.

Plus, Joe Richman and Radio Diaries bring us the voices of two widows of Civil War veterans. In 1998, Daisy Anderson and Alberta Martin told how they met and married their husbands, and the lives they lived with civil war veterans.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Lee was a Southern Gentleman.....Grant was a Northern drunk.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I have copies of some letters that were written by my Great Grandfather (S.C Volunteers) after his capture at Gettysburg. He spoke quite highly of "Them Yankee boys" that cared for the confederate prisoners while on the train to a prison camp in Illinois. Those had to be the darkest days in the history of our nation. It is too bad that the fallout from that conflict still lingers. My grandfather was the first person to tell me "Dont believe in them history books. Them history books is always wrote by the winners"... He was correct.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

my Dad's side of the family did not immigrate from Germany until after the Civil War. On my Mom's side from Southern Illinois, some fought for the Union, and some went across the River and joined
    the Confederacy. There were a couple of battles where literally, brother was fighting brother. I can't imagine taking up arms for any reason against my brother, but it was a different time.

...and today is my brothers birthday, July 3. He knows more about the Battle of Gettysburg than anyone I know. When we visited Gettysburg back in the 60's when he was a teen ager, he got very still and told me very coldly......"I've been here before....a very long time ago". Sent chills down my spine.
    He has always been a Civil War history nut, and it was not until he started doing his ancestor research and found what we did not know. We come from an old line
    of dedicated warriors dating back to the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, WWI, and WWII that will die for the cause they deem just. Maybe this explains why I have had a gun at my side as long as I can remember. Maybe it was Roy Rogers...maybe it was the old TV show Gunsmoke....but I have always liked guns in a non-gun household. Maybe its in my blood and I inherited it from my long lost relatives that fought for both sides over 150 years ago. I like that version better.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Maybe its in my blood and I inherited it from my long lost relatives that fought for both sides over 150 years ago. I like that version better.
    It's quite possible that this reason is more pertinent as time goes on...
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

If you ever get a chance to visit the Gettysburg Battle Field - do it!

An awesome, inspiring place...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    I have copies of some letters that were written by my Great Grandfather (S.C Volunteers) after his capture at Gettysburg. He spoke quite highly of "Them Yankee boys" that cared for the confederate prisoners while on the train to a prison camp in Illinois. Those had to be the darkest days in the history of our nation. It is too bad that the fallout from that conflict still lingers. My grandfather was the first person to tell me "Dont believe in them history books. Them history books is always wrote by the winners"... He was correct.

Yes he was..............and a very brave man too. Today is also the birthday of my twin boys....July 3rd.....this day always makes me think of how this war tore at the hearts of families throughout this country.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Yes he was..............and a very brave man too. Today is also the birthday of my twin boys....July 3rd.....this day always makes me think of how this war tore at the hearts of families throughout this country.
    Thank you, that means lot....

Bill

PS !!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR TWINS !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    If you ever get a chance to visit the Gettysburg Battle Field - do it!

An awesome, inspiring place...
    We visited there a few years ago. The magnitude of what happened there is overwhelming, even 150 years later. A place of honor, sacrifice, and sadness.

My son is named for Jackson, Forrest, and Lee. Jonathan for Thomas Jonathan (Stonewall) Jackson. Robert for Robert E. Lee.

Forrest's first name was Nathan. Take Jo from Jonathan.

I was born on the site of the first land battle of Lincoln's War, Philippi West Virginia (Virginia at the time of the battle) inside Confederate lines. I recovered Burnside Carbine bullets on the hill above the old Philippi hospital within 50 yards of where I entered the world. My hometown is Clarksburg WV birthplace of Stonewall Jackson.

In rememberance of our fallen Constutitional Republic, and those who died defending it.

Starsnbars

Deo Vindice!
    (God will vindicate!)
    The motto of the Confederate States of America.

P.S. The "Confederate Flag" or more correctly the Confederate Battle flag with St. Andrew's Cross and 13 stars is "The Southern Cross" not The Stars and Bars. The Stars and Bars features a blue field in the upper right corner with seven stars in a circle flanked by a three wide "bars" to the right. Red, white, and red. The Stars and Bars was the 1st National Flag of the Confederacy. The Southern Cross in its rectangular form was never the "offical flag" of the Confederacy, but was the flag of the Confederate Navy and the Army Of Tennesee.

Lest we forget....lest we forget!

Links