Quick rant and quick praise

This is a discussion on Quick rant and quick praise within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I forget, at times, what a great place DC is what a great place Bob and Terry's is. In the counseling world, you would call ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Quick rant and quick praise

Distinguished Member

I forget, at times, what a great place DC is what a great place Bob and Terry's is. In the counseling world, you would call this a "safe place" or a "safe" person. I.e. you can dump the load whether here or on any of the subforums and it is rare, rare, that someone pokes your eye.

In another forum today, one I have belonged to for several years, I shared some discouragement on an issue. Holy Frijole! You could divide it down the middle: good cop/bad cop. I'm just glad the bad cops don't live in my neighborhood.

Secondly, maybe four or five months ago I belonged to a well-known knife forum. There is a subforum that says, "Warning...". I have also belonged to that forum for a number of years. Every once in awhile, I'll hold my breath and go in there because there are a few guys i genuinely like. Yes, it gets too salty and I bow out when I can't hold my breath any longer. However, the last time I was there, I have never, ever experienced such vitriolic, gut-ripping verbal carnage directed toward me. I am not a shrinking violet and have certainly had more than enough rip-lipping braces from both civilian and military bosses, but this was like coming from a black hole of pure evil. Sound a bit melodramatic? Pay a visit. Oh, and you can leave my name of the posts. I decided I'll do my evangelistic outreach elsewhere.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I prefer this forum over all others because it remains civil and keeps politics out (unless 2nd Amendment related).
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I used to be on another forum and left because of all the cop bashing.

I liked that you could use profanity there and politics was openly discussed in a designated sub-forum, but the anti-cop / anti-government sentiment there just made it unbearable.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Ya'll make it real nice around here.
    NONAME762 and goldshellback like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I hate you!
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Hoganbeg and lionround like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    This has to be one the most civil forums I have ever found on the internet, even when people disagree it is done in a most civil and respectable manner. Kudos to the mods and the fine people here for keeping it that way.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I used to be on another forum and left because of all the cop bashing.

I liked that you could use profanity there and politics was openly discussed in a designated sub-forum, but the anti-cop / anti-government sentiment there just made it unbearable.
    it hasn't changed.
    357and40 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    This has to be one the most civil forums I have ever found on the internet, even when people disagree it is done in a most civil and respectable manner. Kudos to the mods and the fine people here for keeping it that way.
    I'd have to agree with the MSGT above on both counts. I came here almost by accident following a link from another site where there's a fair bit of Tin Hat Syndrome. Folks there at the time were getting more and more upset over the shenanigans the DC crowd was pulling and it was showing up with the use of coarse language. TBT just before I landed here I was weary of the other site and looking for something fresh. I found that here.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I hate you!
    Calm down now Tim...here have some of my semi famous hot cocoa. If you love chocolate you'll LOVE my cocoa.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Administrator

We do get a certain percentage of brand new people here that come here from other forums and think that because anything goes nearly everywhere else that it is OK to act that way here.

That is understandable AKA the fact that initially some folks just do not know how we want things to work here.

And "believe it or not" we actually DO take that into consideration.

It is only those new infantile newbie members that somehow cannot grasp what our purpose, focus, etc. is...as well as what we are attempting to accomplish here that do not last very long.

Sadly there are just too many "adults" in this country who have acted like spoiled little brats all of their lives and they cannot accept even the slightest bit of constructive criticism VIA Private Mail...or even a polite explanation of how things work here and how they are expected to conduct themselves.

And (for sure) they do not last very long here.

The moderators do not volunteer their time here to change diapers and sprinkle baby powder on whiny little Internet asses.

If brand new members "get with the program" they are welcome to stay and we are willing to cut everybody an initial entry level break.

New members DO get to make a "Boo Boo" or two.

BUT, if you folks ever read some posts made by a new member and then all of a sudden you notice that they are an EX-Member - you can pretty much assume that they made one or more postings that have been DELETED - then they were sent a Private Mail Explanation - then they SPAZZED OUT to a Moderator and/or....requested that their account be deleted because they could not accept the fact that it was finally TIME to grow up and...the sudden realization hit them that their Mommy is not here on Defensive Carry to wipe their runny little nosey.

We do not do Quiet Time for spoiled rotten little kids who think that they can throw a tantrum to get whatever they want.

That worked really well in 1st and 2nd grade but, it does not fly here.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 11th, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I hate you!
    We also realize that some of the older kids do require special consideration and attention.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    One site (gun site) has all the rules posted and most all the rules are broken on a daily basis . I have seen the couple Mods rip into people and when you sent a email to the Administrators they never get back to you . It reminds me of Mad Max of the internet .
    QKShooter likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

When I came across this site I wondered if was a lot like the rest of 'em. It's not. Good people, good Mods, and a wealth of knowledge and experiences. Critical thinking, accountability, and common sense applied in a mature and rational internet environment..... who'd a thunk it.....?
    NONAME762 and welder516 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    When I came across this site I wondered if was a lot like the rest of 'em. It's not. Good people, good Mods, and a wealth of knowledge and experiences. Critical thinking, accountability, and common sense applied in a mature and rational internet environment..... who'd a thunk it.....?
    OK, OK! Enough about me already. Gosh, you're making me a little uncomfortable.

On a serious note: DC was the first internet forum I found. Before DC I didn't know what a forum was. I lurked, joined and then learned. I ran my mouth a little at first but I soon realized that you learn more here by listening.

I had been a shooter all my life and, even though I was a darn good bullseye shooter, I learned that SD was a different ballgame with different rules.
    When I came to DC I was carrying a 5 shot .357 mag. revolver with only four rounds. I had always been told by the old timers to let the hammer rest on an empty chamber. I quickly learned that modern revolvers (without a hammer spur) have transfer bar safeties and it was safe to carry 5.

I guess I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links