One of those bring-it-home stories worthy of sharing.

This is a discussion on One of those bring-it-home stories worthy of sharing. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A young woman went to her grandmother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: One of those bring-it-home stories worthy of sharing.

VIP Member

One of those bring-it-home stories worthy of sharing.

A young woman went to her grandmother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed that as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her grandmother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil. In the first, she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil, without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She then pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.
    Turning to her granddaughter, she asked, "Tell me, what do you see?"

"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.

She brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. She then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.

The granddaughter then asked, "What does it mean, Grandmother?"

Her grandmother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity -- boiling water -- but each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior. But, after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you?" she asked her granddaughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?"

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity? Do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and a hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor of your life. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hours are the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate to another level?

How do you handle adversity? Are you changed by your surroundings or do you bring life, flavor, to them?

ARE YOU A CARROT, AN EGG, OR A COFFEE BEAN?
    WHEC724, jbum, Snub44 and 24 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Thank you for that.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    Very good.
    oneshot likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Nice.

Time to brew a new "cuppa."
    oneshot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Interesting story, but inquiring minds want to know. What was the granddaughter wearing? Was she blonde, brunette, redhead? How old is Gramma?

These could be pertinent facts to the retelling of the story.
    blitzburgh and locotest like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I'm glad I took the time to read this. It made me realize that I am all too often an egg...

Unfortunately people will just think I'm crazy when I yell "I am a coffee bean!" over and over again in the face of adversity, but that's a great story.
    ppkheat, 91wm6 and BlueHawk76 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Very cool. I may have to steal that.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    This came at the right time for me and I say thank you. I'm set to get a pacemaker on the 22s of this month or I may not make it to the end of the year because of heart damage. So I ask the Doc can I charge my cell when I get this thing ?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    This came at the right time for me and I say thank you. I'm set to get a pacemaker on the 22s of this month or I may not make it to the end of the year because of heart damage. So I ask the Doc can I charge my cell when I get this thing ?
    Praying for strength, wisdom and peace for you.
    shadowwalker and oneshot like this.

Great story. I would have to say Im somewhere between an egg and a coffe bean. If theres such a thing.

I like the story, but now have a hankering for coffee and egg salad

...tried to PM you...will be praying for you, and would like to keep in touch via PM...if you'll unlock them...as would, I'm sure, others here...
    oneshot likes this.

love it! Thanks.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Praying for you.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links