A little down on my luck. . .

This is a discussion on A little down on my luck. . . within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I live in Ohio and I have been helping people move ahead their whole life. I have helped a 1 man 1 store company ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little down on my luck. . .

A little down on my luck. . .

Well I live in Ohio and I have been helping people move ahead their whole life.
    I have helped a 1 man 1 store company grow into a 12 man 9 store company.
    I have been there when he couldn't pay me until the bills went trough and even then I waited about a month.
    I have moved around and even for a complete year I drove and hour to and from work just about everyday.
    Just recently we opened a store in the mall and I have been working non stop and I guess all of it is getting to me.
    I have helped this man grow his company and watched him as he goes on numerous trips out of town, get new cars among other things.
    I have been working with him for a little over a year now and I have nothing at all to show for it.
    He is very grateful for what I am doing but thanks me by working me 6 days a week and pretty much on call when I leave the store.
    Don't get me wrong I am pretty good at what I do but this is not what I want to do my whole life. (Sell cell phones)
    I would like to join the police academy but my 6 day a week schedule is not going to help me at all when it comes time to move on and start my life.

I am writing this post to get it off of my chest because people around me don't understand.
    I am also writing this post to see if someone out there knows of any jobs that is a 40 hour a week job with paid overtime and will make me about mid 20's.
    Please keep in mind that I would like to attend classes at night.
    I am not looking for sympathy I am just trying to get out of here because if I stay here I will be no where very fast.
    If you have any ideas please email me.
    Thank you
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

Join the academy...Don't let this job hold you back from fulfilling your dreams. It's time you help yourself.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If your not afraid of working in weather , check out Traffic control for road construction , and laborer for Road construction , traffic control ( flagger ) will be closer to 40 hrs a week but they will typicaly come in 3 or 4 days . Pay is fair since it is state and fedrally mandated depending on the contract . Your state rates for it are avalable by calling your state DOT , as is your states certification process . It isnt fun, but might meet your needs for a while .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Join the academy...Don't let this job hold you back from fulfilling your dreams. It's time you help yourself.
    ditto to this, most dept that i know of around here in NKY, will hire you then send you to the academy on their dime and pay you for going... dont let that job hold you back from your dreams man...

Assistant Administrator
    From your description this guy is exploiting you heavily. I wonder if you went, he could find another willing horse like you - I doubt it.

Be interesting to know his reaction if you dropped in to conversation your thoughts at other work ideas - better hours and return - and see if he reacted at all to the prospect of your loss. He might be unmoved but he also just might stop and think of your real value and rewrad you properly.

All that aside - go for the academy - do what you feel is best for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    By any means necessary, apply to the academy. As I understand it, some agency will hire you first and send you there and pay you.

If you need to miss work some to get yourself ready or to do interviews, etc. for the application process, just DO it. Don't ask permission.

Make up some lie later if you have to.

And do NOT tell the guy for whom you work what you are doing. When the time comes, just go.

Despite what he may tell you, he WILL try to find someone to replace you if he knows you are looking and he WILL interpret anything you do to better yourself as disloyalty.

I had a job like that once. One word for you, Brother: Getthehellouttathere.

Make a life for yourself.

Lead Moderator
    Go for it while you can. Making money is good and all, but happiness at your job sure makes life so much better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    From your description this guy is exploiting you heavily. I wonder if you went, he could find another willing horse like you - I doubt it.

Be interesting to know his reaction if you dropped in to conversation your thoughts at other work ideas - better hours and return - and see if he reacted at all to the prospect of your loss. He might be unmoved but he also just might stop and think of your real value and rewrad you properly.

All that aside - go for the academy - do what you feel is best for you.

I agree. Don't let this guy jerk you around. A pat on the back is ok for my hard work, but I want a check at the end of the day. Show me the money!

If you are working 6 days a week and on call you had better be earning some jack. I have three kids and do lots of side work, my time does not come cheap.

Chase your dreams now while you can!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator

Thumbs up

You sound like a good man and a dedicated honest worker.
    Kind and generous. You have so many great qualities that show in your thread post.

In my opinion...you would be a valuable person to any employer.

Just wondering if you've tried asking for for money and a "change in hours" from your present employer...because if you don't ask then "changes for the better" will never just fall into your lap.
    You need to ask.

Usually at any job as much as you allow yourself to be taken advantage of...that is as much as you WILL be taken advantage of.

If you are really good at your job then possibly your employer will adjust your hours so that he can keep you working for him while you do the night classes thing.

If you must leave then try to get your foot into a different door before you quit where you're at. You are more valuable to another employer if they think they are pulling you away from someplace else.

Go down to the police academy and talk to somebody there...maybe they have some sort of something set up that would make it possible for you to attend. A government grant or something.

Good Luck and do not give up on your dream. You'll make a fantastic cop and a great addition to any police force.
    You are perfect Police Material.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Usually at any job as much as you allow yourself to be taken advantage of...that is as much as you WILL be taken advantage of.
    Well said , but the cravat to that is that once you allow it you ( in my experiance ) have to change employers to change it . Once you " put out " its expected ,

Any good employee " puts out " for the boss , but the smart ones negotaite it , and once its done for free , hard to negotate a return for what has been free .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

you started this thread because you realize something is not right at work. I agree with the other posters here. If you put in as much time as you say you need to ask for a share of the company or something that will compensate you for your trouble. Remind him of the struggle he and you have gone through and the patience you have. Tell him what you told us and why you are frustrated. Acknowledge that you are a valuable commodity and if is smart he will too. My kindness ends when my efforts go unnoticed.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

DC Founder
    All good advice above. I would definitely go talk to the police department ahead of time about options. From your post, you sound like you are a young man, so you may also want to consider joining a branch of the military. The military would provide you alot of experience that you would later take to the PD, and military police training would give you a leg up on others in the academy and probably give you some preference points....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Helping and Giving...

are very important qualities, but you have to also take care of yourself.
    I would politely move on with your life...chase your dreams...but never burn your bridges!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thank you guys for all of your advice. i went into work a little down and it kind of suck because I know what I really want. (SWAT) It is pretty funny that this came up today because I activated 4 lines for a local cop and he gave me a couple good ways to get in good with my local PD. One way I have never heard of and he explained how to go about doing it. Man with your guys advice and this cops explanation I will go after my dreams and I will be call my local PD to put me on that list. Thank you so very much you guys. I will be on this site for a very long time and I will be leaving updates on what is going one. All I have to remember is that it takes time.

Bumper I have as soon as I got out of high school I wanted to join the Marines so bad that I worked out for the whole summer before I went in. When I got all of my paper work set up they asked if I had asthma and also said that I can face the courts if I lied about any questions. So dummy me said yes and they said ok have a good day. I have a family now so going to the Marines would be out of the question. Thanks again for all of the advice. Man you guys are great.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Do your thing.... do the academy....this should help also... http://www.911hotjobs.com/
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links