Would you be "put in the dog house" over a dog?

This is a discussion on Would you be "put in the dog house" over a dog? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Background: A couple os Saturday's ago, my youngest (Annabelle) daughter had a soccer game very early in the morning. As we we driving off at ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Would you be "put in the dog house" over a dog?

Background: A couple os Saturday's ago, my youngest (Annabelle) daughter had a soccer game very early in the morning. As we we driving off at 7:00 am, Annabelle noticed a big yellow dog laying in the middle of our yard, but I was driving and did not notice. To be honest, I did not think much about it at that point.

Later that night (around 10), I took my dog for his nightly walk around our neighborhood, when I came accross a big yellow dog laying in the middle of one of my neighbor's yard. I was about to knock on their door to tell them their dog was out front, but then rememberd, they did not own a dog. I let me dog and the stray meet and greet each other, then walked home. After a couple of minutes of thinking, I put two and two together and Annabelle and I went back down to my neighbors house to see if it was the same dog she saw earlier in the day. She said it was the same dog. I told Annabelle to go home and get some water and some dog food while I tried to approach the stray (more like let him approach me).

The stray was very shy and it took me over 30 mintues, some water and some food for him to come to me. Even then, he was very tentitive and wary of everything around him. While petty him, I noticed no coller, but he was definetly a family pet. He was a good size dog that looked like a yellow lab bull dog mix. He warmed up to me and we sat there in my neighbors drive way side by side for the next 30 minutes or so while I let him get used to me. Around midnight, I gave him a good petting, more food and water and started to head home. At which point he followed at a distance. I went back down to the neighbors house and gahterd the food and water and put it in my yard and went inside to bed.

The next morning (Sunday), I went out front and he was laying in my yard and slowly came to me. All the water and food was gone. I talked with a few neighbors and they did not know where he came from but many of them noticed him around the neighborhood for a few days. I sat in the front yard with him and my dog for about an hour while letting him get familiar with me. He started to warm up to me and allowed me to approch him and we even started to play fetch with a tennis ball. My wife came outside and I told her about the stray (now named Stan Lee by Annabelle and my 18 yrd old Samantha) as my two daughters were playing with him. My wife in no uncertained terms told me we were not going to adopt him. Well, I live in a suburb of Houston and it was getting hot fast and the dog was definetly getting really hot. My wife wen to the store, so I left the frony door open and after 15 minutes Stan Lee came is and laid down next to my dog in the cool air conditioned house. He laid there for an hour or so, before my wife came home and sternly instructed me to get the dog out of the house because we were not going to keep him.

I put Stan Lee in the back yard with my dog, but as the temp rose, I would let them both in the house to cool down. This did not sit well with my wife. This went on throughout the day and evening. When we sent to bed, I let Stan Lee out front for the night. Monday morning on my way to work Stan Lee was still in my yard and came right up to me. I petted him for a while and then started my commute to work. I called my oldest daughter and told her to take Stan Lee to CAPPS to see if he had a chip so we could find the owner. If not, I had decided that I was going to adopt him until we found a good home for him or his owner. I could not let him wonder the streets. I knew this would put me in the dog house with my wife, but so be it.

It turnes out Stan Lee did have a chip and CAPPS was able to contact the family. Samantha drove Stan Lee to ther house that was a full 5 miles from where we live. Samantha said there were flyers everywhere in that neighborhood, so I felt much better that he was returned to a loving family. The family had just moved from Dallas and they think Stan Lee (real name Buster) must have lost his way some how.

My question is, in adopting him agianst my wife's wishes is something I should have done? I was set on not having this dog lost or euthenized, but I would have been in the dog house for a while in doing so.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Marriage is a compromise, but only one can wear the pants. Who that is, is up to you, but it is me in my house.
    Mike1956, Easy8, wmhawth and 7 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

...I STAY in trouble with my wife over our two mutts...I love dogs a lot...last night, my supper was two cheeseburgers and some home fries...I sure did enjoy them potatos...the dogs got all the cheeseburgers...soon as my wife went out on a walk with a friend...our second was found late November in a cold rain in a graveyard with two other pups...about 2 weeks old...he's the snugglinest dog I've ever seen and covers himself up even in summer...guess he remembers!!! Oh, yeah, I'd risk sharin' the doghouse to adopt a stray...

...I tell folks my dogs always stop what they're doin' when I come home, jump all over me, and wag their tails 'cause they're glad to see me........my wife don't do NONE of that...

Dogs love unconditionally...people not so much,I love dogs,but I do have limits,my wife on the other hand would be the one trying to tell me "oh no we've had that one for awhile" you just haven't noticed him until today
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    What Glockman said. I have two ex-wives who both thought their opinions carried more weight than mine.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    If not, I had decided that I was going to adopt him until we found a good home for him or his owner. I could not let him wonder the streets. I knew this would put me in the dog house with my wife, but so be it.
    this would be fostering (temporary), not adopting (permanent)
    maybe the choice of words created the issue?
    in any case, you sound like a kind-hearted, caring person
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    My question is, in adopting him agianst my wife's wishes is something I should have done? I was set on not having this dog lost or euthenized, but I would have been in the dog house for a while in doing so.
    In a neighborhood where a dog that was clearly a stray/wilder sort came around, I'd likely ignore it. If days went by, I'd likely call the pound to check for chipping and/or deal with it.

In a neighborhood where a dog was clear a family pet, I'd likely call the pound to check for chipping and/or deal with it.

Haven't adopted a "stray" off the streets, and I don't imagine I ever will. You just never know what you're getting yourself in for.

Would I have adopted one despite the firm wishes of my other family members? Nope. But that's just me.
    Ianthin likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why did you let your wife out of the kitchen?

Distinguished Member
    It worked out. No foul. I'm glad the dog found his way home. I had the same thing happen to a dog of mine some years ago. She got lost, was confused, and laid down in the same spot all day on a street corner. A motorist saw her in the morning and again after work. I was contacted that evening to come pick her up. One of the best calls I've ever received.

Marriage is a compromise. When you can't do that, things go south fast. I wouldn't be bothered too much as long as the give and take remains.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What Glockman said. I have two ex-wives who both thought their opinions carried more weight than mine.
    Hmm... With complete respect, I'm not sure I call that a good recommendation.

Christian or not, it's hard to argue with the wisdom in the Bible. The head of household is not a dictatorship, but more a responsibility to care for the members of the household, making appropriate decisions when necessary.

1 Peter 3:7 ESV
    Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

All that said, I think you handled it perfectly.
    Sister, pittypat21 and FlaRon like this.

...hadda "like" that one! can't let you be in trouble all by yourself...INCOMING!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    Why did you let your wife out of the kitchen?

In rural NV we often get dogs and cats dropped off from more urban areas. Mrs. tdave is very good about giving them food and water. Much more selective about adoption but it has happened.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I`m not married so I would have to defer to Lisl my GSD as to whether or not another dog would be welcome in my house.

I don`t think she would put up with another female in the house but a male would probably be welcome.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    No, I'm definitely not a Christian. My Jewish wife and I have been together these past seventeen years, and not once during that entire time have either of us been in the dog house with the other over anything. We generally go along and get along. Our boundaries are clearly drawn, and we respect them.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Hmm... With complete respect, I'm not sure I call that a good recommendation.

Christian or not, it's hard to argue with the wisdom in the Bible. The head of household is not a dictatorship, but more a responsibility to care for the members of the household, making appropriate decisions when necessary.

1 Peter 3:7 ESV
    Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

All that said, I think you handled it perfectly.
    WHEC724 and mr.stuart like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

...please don't get a beautiful thread locked by continuing to preach...

...edited to say Thank You!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links