Emotion Vs. Reasoning

This is a discussion on Emotion Vs. Reasoning within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got back this week from St. Louis burying my only brother, whom I dearly loved. He committed suicide by shooting himself once in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Emotion Vs. Reasoning

Emotion Vs. Reasoning

I just got back this week from St. Louis burying my only brother, whom I dearly loved. He committed suicide by shooting himself once in the heart with a handgun, what a shock and emotional spiral!

When something like that un-expectantly happened, many thoughts raced through my mind. Such as, knowing his history with some mental illness issues, I was thinking, how could he qualify to purchase and own a firearm, etc. I initially was thinking with emotion about if he didn't have a damn gun in the first place...

At certain times, emotion rules our thoughts and actions and clouds our reasoning abilities for awhile. For a short while I was blaming the damn handgun and handgun laws. Then emotions subsided somewhat and logic and reason returned from the tears and pain. The often quoted, "guns don't kill people, people do" reasoned in my brain. If that handgun "tool" was not available to do his bidding, they're many other alternatives available to accomplish the same results, be it murder or self murder.

IMHO. This is how gun control is being sold to the American public. Through emotion rather than rational logical reasoning and facts.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

2. Remove Ads

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours to get through this time as well as possible. Yes they argue with emotion instead of logic. Once logic is brought in their arguments generally make no sense, so all they have is emotion.
    blitzburgh and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    Dang man, very sorry for your loss. That's got to be a terrible thing to deal with...

On your larger point, you are absolutely correct, but that's how it's always been with just about everything that gets sold to the masses. If logic and rational thought ruled the day, we'd be in a far different place than where we are.

FWIW, everyone reacts with emotion. Emotional response is a far more basic, hardwired response than logical response is. I guess what I'm saying is don't feel bad because you blamed the gun; it's pretty normal given the emotional state.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You and your family will certainly be in my prayers.

Knee-jerk reactions and emotional responses is exactly what the other side relies on to convince otherwise intelligent folks. Without those tactics, they'd be pretty much stuck with just the ignorant. Not that that's a small group, either.
    TX expat likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    My sincere sorrow for you and your family's loss.

Excellent point you made.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

So sorry for your loss.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm also very sorry for your loss. I'm praying for comfort and healing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to hear about your brother

and emotion is being used to sale everything these days, just watch the news on TV (any channel any news cast)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Sending prayers to you and your family . May your Brother rest in peace .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

No words can help right now, but I also am truly sorry for your loss.

You are spot on about gun control being sold as an emotional reaction.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

You are 100% correct about emotion driving the gun control movement.

And, I too am sorry for your loss. Life gets to the strongest and most stalwart of folks, not just certain ones. Small comfort, but very true.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Dennis, I am sorry for your loss. I wish I had more insightful words that could be of comfort.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Best thoughts and condolences to you and yours. I've been going through something similar myself recently. Emotional, indeed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Dennis1209, Sorry to learn of your loss.
    As a Trooper (sgt-det), I had to investigate many suicides in the State Pen. No guns needed. Just swallow 100 aspirin and don't tell anyone, it is 100% effective.
    Tie sheet tourniquet around neck & secure it, pass out in 7-8 seconds, painless & totally effective. Step in front of truck on x-way, 100%.
    You can hate & blame the tools, for a while.

The 'means' are endless, if someone's suffering is so terrible they take their own life, I sometimes feel guilty wishing they were alive, again.
    I had a father-in-Law do the same... shotgun in bath tub. No one knew he was tortured inside so I never knew exactly how to feel. Curable or at peace?
    I just knew I missed him. I always wondered if I should have done something before... on and on.
    Certainly doubted a Pshrink could have helped.... they rarely do.

He didn't own any firearms, but had a key to his brother's house & borrowed his only firearm, .410 shotgun +3 shells of #9 shot (??), when no one was home.
    He sat in bathtub & put bbl under chin, overly effective. Came to believe 2 extra shells were in case of FTF, as they were in reach.
    Media was discreet, back then (even local paper had integrity), so a 'little' easier on the family. He was a quiet & super friendly man, just so unexpected.

He was about 60 and maybe it ended 'his' torment (will never know), but it caused so much pain for the entire family & changed e/one forever.
    But, we all came to believe he was in a better place.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Dennis, I'm so, so sorry about your brother. You and your whole family are in my prayers for peace and mending of broken hearts.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links