Weird Phone Call from Dad

This is a discussion on Weird Phone Call from Dad within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad called me just a few minutes ago, they where in the process of selling their home in Fairfax (NOVA). He called me to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Weird Phone Call from Dad

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

My dad called me just a few minutes ago, they where in the process of selling their home in Fairfax (NOVA). He called me to tell me they got the last load out of their house they had lived in for 25 years, and were on their way to their new home in Winchester VA. The home they bought in Winchester they where able to pay for in Cash, and it is a brand new home, absolutely gorgeous. My dad was worried because he called his work (government think tank contractor) he has worked for about 17 years doing the beltway bandit thing, and they told him their contract maybe cancelled soon. My dad is a retired Air Force O-5 with 22 years of service. He is an avid Trout fisherman, hunter, shooter and reloader. As of today not only does he not have a mortgage but he also was able to get make a few hundred thousand on their other home. It was such a weird phone call never heard him like that. Sounded worried yet there was a sound of relief that I have heard. I almost wanted to say "Dad you served your country for almost 40 years". You have a retirement, and no bills, hang it up go fishing and hunting for the rest of your life. Just a very weird phone call!
    pgrass101, ccman, Sister and 2 others like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

It's not so strange, my dad didn't want to retire either until he pretty much had to. I think the perception is that once you retire you're officially "old". It takes some time to fully unplug from the system and begin to enjoy the new situation.
    chandlerusm and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Why not call him back and talk some more?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Wrap your arms around any call that you get from him. But when "they" sound like that, they often need something that they may never have needed before. I think Hop has it right. Call him back and see if he's in the mood to share more.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Or drive up and see him
    ctr, gatorbait51, WHEC724 and 2 others like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    My dad's generation ( 79 yrs. old ) identify with the work they did , my dad comes in 5 days a week and won't stay away and says he likes being here with his sons . So i cannot argue with that logic i kinda understand .

My dad has no bills at all and can travel anywhere but chooses here . I am good with that as long as he is happy .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    I did my parents had just opened the new house. They're going to be busy unpacking and stuff, they are only about 45 minutes from me now. I'm sure I'll head down there to help him get the Dillion, and fly tying stuff set up. Hes got a year round trout lake five minutes from him.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member
    I'll second that.

BTW, having no debt and a few hundred thousand in the bank does not mean that one is set to retire. I'm sure your Dad has goals.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Call him back and ask to borrow some money. Sounds like he can afford it.

THAT will make him feel wanted and needed. LOL
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Retirement is kind of a weird time in our lives. Its easy to fall into a rut an watch TV everyday. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do. A bunch of us volunteer at the VA hospital kinda like giant ugly candy stripers. Just like when you were young finding your way and staying positive. I would call him an suggest a vist.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Lots of retired people in our area. Lots of volunteers. We have "social services" that our local governments could never afford and most of them are run almost entirely by volunteers. It's a great combination!

I got involved in volunteering pretty quickly when we moved here but hubby, like a lot of people, wasn't ready to retire so he got a part time doing grounds work (hard work, but outdoors) and did that for almost 15 years. Now he is doing a little volunteer work and works out for about 1 1/2 hours every day at the fitness center. And plays golf once a week if the weather is good. Oh yeah - and shoots a lot - can't forget THAT!

The worst thing that can happen is when people retire and sit and wait to die. Make sure your dad keeps on keepin' on in one way or another.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'll second that.

BTW, having no debt and a few hundred thousand in the bank does not mean that one is set to retire. I'm sure your Dad has goals.
    The money from the house is kind of like Icing on the cake. As long as we have a Government (or maybe not) he still gets his Air Force Retirement and he was one of those guys, that did the IRA thing when they First started. So I think he's good financially. I think its more just a feeling of worthlessness..... He is 3rd Generation Structural Steel Iron worker from Pittsburgh. My Grandfather enlisted before he was drafted for WWII because he wanted to be in Tank Destoyers, and was at Normandy. Then after the war ended went back working for US Steele helping build this country. He was a heavy smoker and died in his late 50's early sixties don't remember exactly because I never met him. My dad is like the first person in the history of the family to ever even be able to retire comfortable, so I think he is terrified that he now thinks he is going to be useless.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Get your Dad set up with the fly tying stuff and go fishing with him. Best time in the world to just listen and learn....bout lots of stuff. You were wise enough and perceptive to discern the change in tone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    My dad called me just a few minutes ago, they where in the process of selling their home in Fairfax (NOVA). He called me to tell me they got the last load out of their house they had lived in for 25 years, and where on their way to their new home in Winchester VA. The home they bought in Winchester they where able to pay for in Cash, and it is a brand new home, absolutely gorgeous. My dad was worried because he called his work (government think tank contractor) he has worked for about 17 years doing the beltway bandit thing, and they told him their contract maybe cancelled soon. My dad is a retired Air Force O-5 with 22 years of service. He is an avid Trout fisherman, hunter, shooter and reloader. As of today not only does he not have a mortgage but he also was able to get make a few hundred thousand on their other home. It was such a weird phone call never heard him like that. Sounded worried yet there was a sound of relief that I have heard. I almost wanted to say "Dad you served your country for almost 40 years". You have a retirement, and no bills, hang it up go fishing and hunting for the rest of your life. Just a very weird phone call!
    You sound like you've never owned a home in NoVa. I lived there for a good 17 years, and I can tell you very few people can afford to retire and live there. Taxes will eat you alive.
    My father was USAF for 30 years, retired an O-6, then worked for Aerospace companies consulting on satellites. Even with all of that, we could barely afford to stay in that area (West Springfield.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    When you've worked hard all your life it's a real adjustment to suddenly...not. It will take them awhile to settle into the new house and get acquainted with the new area. I love Winchester BTW, I go to the walking mall in Olde Town quite often in the summer. There's some good resturants and shopping there.

Anyway, it's good that your Dad has hobbies that he enjoys. Once he's settled he can get into those.

I worry about my husband. He's a lot like your Dad, retired AF, we lived in Falls Church for years before we moved to WV and he still works as a contractor at Ft. Detrick. He'll probably leave that job in a year or so because the contract might not be renewed.The big difference is that he has NO hobbies...none. His hobby is working. So it's going to be a BIG adjustment for him when the time comes.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links