Lung cancer

Lung cancer

This is a discussion on Lung cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, life has taken a pretty quick turn for us. Two weeks ago, while at work at the hospital, I had continued tingling in right ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Lung cancer

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Lung cancer

Well, life has taken a pretty quick turn for us.

Two weeks ago, while at work at the hospital, I had continued tingling in right hand and then my right eye got blurry. I'm no rocket scientist but I know some of the warning signs of a stroke, so I got myself to the emergency room. Did the whole workup thing, blood, CT scan, etc. The Neurologist on-call was a friend and he decided to do a second scan and get a look at my neck & head arteries--this CT caught a lung nodule. So, no stroke, and interestingly enough, when I left the Emergency room, my blurry vision cleared up.

Anyway, yesterday was the PET scan and today met with the Doc.

Bad news--it is lung cancer.

Good news--it looks like it has NOT spread and it looks like we "found it" before it could spread to the surrounding tissue.

So, Monday is CT guided needle biopsy, Tuesday is pre-surgery work-up, Wednesday is the lung surgery.

Most of the time, I'm doing OK, with moments of being scared (both my mother and my only sibling died of lung cancer), and in my job, I've watched lots of folks with cancer die.

But, I'm the Lord's man, and will be HIS until my dying breath, and then I will still be his. I will face this thing straight on, looking it straight in the eyes and beat it to death.

They are saying 8-10 weeks of recovery---lack of range time will suck!!!

I may not be here on DC for a few weeks, starting next week.
    gatorbait51, Recon1342 and stevez like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Chaplain Scott, I'm sorry to hear this. I've had a few family members and friends do the rounds with cancer. I can't say I know what you are going though but I know this will be a time when you can draw much strength and hope from your loved ones and your faith. Prayers to you and your family.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Best of luck to you and yours..

Prayers will be with you and your family.

VIP Member
    So sorry.

A lot of people like to quote Romans 8:28 during these types of situations but they only refer to the first part. In your case I believe that ALL of it applies as I believe that you are definitely "called according to His purpose."

Philippians 1:21
    Sister, BamaT and HKzealot like this.

You are added to my DC list.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Our prayers are with you as you go through the process of beating that cancer monster! Do all that you need to do to get back to health. The range will still be there. And so will we.

You have the faith - and now you have the prayers, positive thoughts and best wishes of all of us here.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

You are in my prayers. May the Lord strengthen you and your family at this time of need, God is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother

Chaplin Scott, will be praying for you, your family and the doctors administering your treatment. I will mention you and your situation to the brothers and sisters here.

Distinguished Member
    You will be in my prayers. A good friend went through the new surgery they do for lung cancer a year ago and it is a wonderful new surgery. They put a small bb looking thing next to the cancer then a laser will zap the cancer...all done without cutting you open! This was done at MUSC (Charleston, SC). I am happy that this was caught so soon, God is watching over you already and you will be fine.

Will miss you here, please keep us up on how you are doing
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    Hang in there Sir and keep us posted.

Chaplain Scott, you are remarkably calm for a man faced with a significant challenge - that alone speaks of God's presence in your life. Of course you know that He never gives you more than you can handle.

Thank you for reaching out to our community here. Prayers are sent your way for inspired doctors and a favorable outcome. Just update us when you can - we'll keep a light on for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    You'll be in my prayers until you tell me to stop. The symptoms you were having likely allowed you to catch this before it turned into something far worse. Modern medical science is amazing, and our Lord has been amazing since the foundation of time. Have faith in God and confidence in your physicians.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Good luck to you, sir. I'm not a praying man, but you have my positive thoughts. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help along the way.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

VIP Member
    Best of luck to you and hoping for a quick recovery.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links