Pics from my local paper Dated December 7

This is a discussion on Pics from my local paper Dated December 7 within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wanted to share a couple of photos from my local newspaper dated Dec. 7th. I have the whole newspaper and is the only one ...

Thread: Pics from my local paper Dated December 7

Pics from my local paper Dated December 7

Just wanted to share a couple of photos from my local newspaper dated Dec. 7th. I have the whole newspaper and is the only one that I know of that is complete, with no alterations.

These are not reproductions, they are actual photos of the newspaper taken with my digital camera in my dining room.

Although I cannot post all of the pics of that day's pics, I hope you guys enjoy these...
    Attached Images
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing, Wes...

How did you keep the newspaper preserved so well in such a humid place?
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It's good to see that your preserving history over there.

My home state has been doing a veterns project. While I have heard the stories of many sailors and marines from that day, our state historical society tracked down a nurse from that day. It was a perspective that had been rarely approached.

Lest we forget what those that came before has done for this country.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Those are some papers to keep alright, my Dad talks about it, how he was 12 and remembers when the newspaper came at an odd time of day, special edition. No T.V.'s back then to get the news out fast. Newspaper boy yelling "Pearl Harbor Attacked"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

TA; moisture is always a problem here, but forunately, the computer room is usually warmer than the rest of the house, so it's still in good shape. I don't want to laminate it and lose it's 'original' value.

I've had the newspaper since I was 8-9 yrs. old, and am now glad that I hung onto it.

While I worked in the Pearl Harbor Shipyard in the early seventies as an apprentice painter (shop 71), I was assigned to work with an older journeyman painter. He actually had been working there at the time of the attack, and he told me of the gruesome task of having to pull bodies/body parts out of the water and from the dry docks, etc. Imagine being only 17 yrs. old and having to do that. (He lied about his age so that they would let him work.)

My Uncle was at Pearl that Day. My Dad went to Guadalcanal in a destroyer; the squadron is still out there,'on patrol'. A Generation we sorely miss.....
    "no one can enslave a free man, the only person who can do that is himself. No, you can't enslave a free man, the most you can do is kill him." Robert A. Heinlien

Lead Moderator
    What a great piece of history!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Wes, you might want to do a little research on preservation of old newspapers. Reduced humidity is a help, but there are other problems. Newspaper is made from wood pulp and contains acid. This is why it turns brown. The acid causes the paper to get very brittle and eventually to crumble. There are ways to deacidify the paper, but that may be too expensive. Even if you don't deacidify you should store the paper flat in a archival box designed for newspapers with non-acidic paper between the pages. You should be able to get the necessary items for a reasonable price.

You might try the state archives, state library, or a university library and see if they can give you some assistance in preserving this valuable piece of history.

You are right not to laminate it. That will only seal the acid in and eventually you will have a laminated pice of brown trash because the paper will have gotten so dark that it is unreadable.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing, that's a great piece of history. Other than what dr_cmg stated, your hands have oils that can break down the paper. Get a pair of cotton gloves and wear those when handling it.

The day after Sept. 11 our paper ran a huge section on the terrorist attacks. I've kept it, and look at it every year on Sept. 11.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thanks...

for saving and sharing that piece of important history...

I hope that history doesn't repeat itself...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links