When things don't go as expected, but turn out better.

This is a discussion on When things don't go as expected, but turn out better. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today, I was looking forward to taking a deer with the Colt 1911 and a handload that I have been working with for a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: When things don't go as expected, but turn out better.

Today, I was looking forward to taking a deer with the Colt 1911 and a handload that I have been working with for a few months. I had the spot picked out, and was ready to go.

Then, a friend from the church I used to attend, put out a request for anyone that knew of a place where her son could go hunting. Turns out , the kid is absolutely crazy about hunting, and has yet to take his first deer. His father has done his best to help the lad, but to no avail.
    Thinking back to my childhood, I could understand his desire, sand before I knew it, had a hunting partner this morning.

I gave him and his dad my spot, and left them alone in the darkness. As I left them, I couldn't get over what a great kid this was. So enthusiastic, carrying his Savage Axis and dressed in the little camo hunting outfit, even in the darkness, I could see his smile, and feel his excitement mixed with anticipation.
    I massed my way through the darkness and found a spot. I had a rifle, but took the Colt out and waited as dark turned to light. I just couldn't get enthusiastic about my own hunt, because I so badly wanted that boy to get his first deer. I watched, as a little six pointer ambled along, within range of my Colt, snicker off the safety , and found his shoulder. But I could not pull the trigger. The deer was headed to the boys area of the woods. I would just have to wait.
    As things turn out , he didn't see it, and didn't get a deer this morning. But as we talked, the kid impressed the heck out of me with his knowledge of guns. I let him shoot my Glock, sand he nearly popped a gasket when I pulled out the 45 Colt 1911 to let him shoot it( the boy obviously has good taste). And he can shoot! I had my range bag in the truck, and set him up a targetimage.jpg

It looks like I have found another protégé! I plan on spending time with this boy, and helping him achieve his outdoor goals. His father is not a hunter.
    But you know, I couldn't have had a better last day of the season. Kids like this are our future. And I'm sure Matt will make us all proud. I have invited him to join us here on DC.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That was a nice thing to do. That's an experience that will stay with that kid for a lot of years.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Great story glockman. You sir are a class act. The boy will never forget his first hunt. And you made that happen. Nicely done.
    ctr and gatorbait51 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Good show, there and a true display of sportsmanship.
    How not to help-out a new hunter busting with enthusiasm and excitement?
    I remember that feeling a couple hundred deer ago.... it just wouldn't be the same for me.

Three years ago, I let a 240 lb doe walk past me so a friend, who had never taken a deer, could have a shot. He nailed it in one shot, I showed him how to field dress it and butcher it. Now he takes his two boys out and each have honed there skills and have each taken a deer since and learned to butcher 'em bonelessly.
    It worked out for me as well since they had way too much meat and I got my freezer filled last year when my spine wouldn't let me hunt.

The best part is a new generation of responsible firearm sportsmen are coming along. They are teenagers and are now becoming proficient with many sidearms and their dad is teaching them all the intricacies of reloading. That puts them one step ahead of me, already. They LOVE it.
    gatorbait51 and ctr like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Senior Moderator
    Great job! Some of my most memorable events were when I took someone that had never been turkey hunting out and they killed a turkey. To me, that was as good as killing one myself.

I called them up and let them shoot and they were hooked! I've created some fanatical hunters that way. Its not always about the kill, its about the experience.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Such an awesome story. It's too bad he didn't get to take that deer, but so very thoughtful of you all around. I personally can't think of a better way to end the season. I'm sure you and especially him are really looking forward to next season!
    patri0t and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Today, I was looking forward to taking a deer with the Colt 1911 and a handload that I have been working with for a few months. I had the spot picked out, and was ready to go.

Then, a friend from the church I used to attend, put out a request for anyone that knew of a place where her son could go hunting. Turns out , the kid is absolutely crazy about hunting, and has yet to take his first deer. His father has done his best to help the lad, but to no avail.
    Thinking back to my childhood, I could understand his desire, sand before I knew it, had a hunting partner this morning.

I gave him and his dad my spot, and left them alone in the darkness. As I left them, I couldn't get over what a great kid this was. So enthusiastic, carrying his Savage Axis and dressed in the little camo hunting outfit, even in the darkness, I could see his smile, and feel his excitement mixed with anticipation.
    I massed my way through the darkness and found a spot. I had a rifle, but took the Colt out and waited as dark turned to light. I just couldn't get enthusiastic about my own hunt, because I so badly wanted that boy to get his first deer. I watched, as a little six pointer ambled along, within range of my Colt, snicker off the safety , and found his shoulder. But I could not pull the trigger. The deer was headed to the boys area of the woods. I would just have to wait.
    As things turn out , he didn't see it, and didn't get a deer this morning. But as we talked, the kid impressed the heck out of me with his knowledge of guns. I let him shoot my Glock, sand he nearly popped a gasket when I pulled out the 45 Colt 1911 to let him shoot it( the boy obviously has good taste). And he can shoot! I had my range bag in the truck, and set him up a targetimage.jpg

It looks like I have found another protégé! I plan on spending time with this boy, and helping him achieve his outdoor goals. His father is not a hunter.
    But you know, I couldn't have had a better last day of the season. Kids like this are our future. And I'm sure Matt will make us all proud. I have invited him to join us here on DC.
    Good man!... This is exactly how things should be.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.

VIP Member
    Great story, Glockman. Thanks for sharing! You helped make a kid realize a dream.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    A very honorable thing to do. You are a man of character. Well done.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Good form G-man.

As someone who comes from a non-hunting family, you did that lad a big service. It makes things a lot easier when someone is willing to take the time, and take you under their wing to help with some of the basics, including things like places to hunt, as opposed to learning through trial and error.
    ctr, glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Kudos to you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

What a great story - talk about "paying it forward"!

No one in my family hunted, but somehow my enthusiasm became clear to a family friend when I was about 5. Joe P. took me small game hunting once a year for about 5 years, until he moved away, and I never forgot how much those times meant to me. Good on you, g-man!
    gatorbait51, OD* and ctr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Along with everything else we'll have an up and coming pro 2A voter.
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Well done, sir.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    GLOCKMAN? What the heck a 1911.....your name is Glockman10 MIKE MIKE.....Its not GLOCKMAN John Browning 1911!!

Just kidding Good Show!
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links