I lost my best friend

I lost my best friend

This is a discussion on I lost my best friend within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This morning I said goodbye to my best friend of the last 13 years. Pierce passed away peacefully at home with a Dr.’s assistance, on ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: I lost my best friend

I lost my best friend

This morning I said goodbye to my best friend of the last 13 years. Pierce passed away peacefully at home with a Dr.’s assistance, on his own bed, with me by his side. Last night it became evident that though his spirit said yes, his body was saying no. He had slowed down considerably the last few months, but yesterday was the first time that he was unable to get up and support his own weight. I knew that though he wouldn’t want to leave my side, I had to help him go and not allow him to suffer.
    Pierce11-27-13.jpg

The medical staff from Road to Home made his transition as peaceful and comfortable as anyone could want for their dog. I was able to hold him one last time in our favorite spot in our home as he passed. Though I am heartbroken, I couldn’t have asked for a better dog to have passed in a better way. Though old and slowly becoming infirm, Pierce had continued to show a love for life that has been such a positive influence on my life. He led as good a life as any dog could want. If he had an odometer it would be somewhere around the 10,000 mile mark. He will forever be my gold standard for a good dog. And, even in the end Pierce kept his over 12 year record of no accidents in the home.

If there really is a Rainbow Bridge, I’m sure Pierce is giving Chloe kisses as they make the long wait on the other side to wag their tails for me and go on a walk again.

The following is kind of a more concise obit for Pierce that will be used in Road To Home's online memorial.

Pierce was the best friend a man could want for 13 years. In his time he grew up sneaking drinks at fraternity parties, he walked somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 miles, he always pursued his lifelong goal of digging to China, and he had a perfect track record of no accidents in our home for more than 12 years. He was so much more to me and others and he will always be my gold standard for dogs.

Road to Home's compassionate care for Pierce's final moments made a tough day a lot easier for both of us. Pierce was able to stay at home and never had to leave his favorite bed, in his favorite room with his favorite person by his side.

The Tenth Dog Commandment; Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say: "I can't bear to watch it," or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. It may be the hardest of all the commandments to fulfill, but Road to Home has helped me bear that burden for which I will always be grateful.

Pierce

Born 7/1/2000, Passed 11/27/2013
    ccw9mm, OD*, Phaedrus and 17 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Sorry for your loss, man.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Sorry Rammer. They become a family member.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    My deepest condolences!

I've shared my life with a number of animals and their passing never gets any easier, yet I believe that without the bonds we shared, both of our lives would have been much the poorer.
    rammerjammer, OD* and Se7en.US like this.

I am so sorry for your loss...!!! I am a huge animal lover myself.....it is very hard to lose a member of your family...
    rammerjammer likes this.

Sorry, they can definitely STEAL YOUR HEART.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Administrator
    Very sorry to read that you lost such a great long time pal.
    It surely does hurt something awful.
    Please add my condolences to the others.
    rammerjammer and OD* like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    My condolences. The loss of our friends is very hard to take. You did right by him and he loves you. God bless.
    rammerjammer likes this.

I'm sorry for your loss. They are special.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Loyal to the end. Both of you.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    I'm so very sorry that you had to say good bye to Pierce. He was obviously loved and looked like a sweet guy.

You can take measure of a person in how they treat their animals. You're one of the good ones.

RIP Pierce...till you both meet again.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I heard a lady telling my mom one day,she didn't understand how someone could get attached to a dog.I started to ask her if she was human,but i didn't.

I feel for the OP.I have a lab and it's part of the family like so many others.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss brother...there must be a reason we outlive our dogs..I do not understand why, but we do.
    And its never easy... May the Lord be with you...
    rammerjammer likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have a problem with critters too....they do tend to move in and become a part of us. You're better by far by having than not having had but I'm sorry for you.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

You're the man he thought you were. Peace. Sorry it hurts so bad.

At home, with you, in his bed, can't get any better than that.
    rammerjammer, StormRhydr and jbum like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links